Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Can I get a reference to the current TSR law because that whole act needs replacing

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can work hard and look for it instead of expecting public hand outs all the time
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Actually the only MPs who don't do it are the Sinn Fein ones

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's kind of what I was pointing out, that they exist....

ReputationRep:
    Ummm, how about the MONARCHY part of being a constitutional monarchy?
    Except that the country is only a constitutional monarchy in name. The Queen has no impact on the system except through Royal Assent, and that in itself is ceremonial.

ReputationRep:
    Wow what a really useful, resourceful and worthwhile suggestion. I can greatly see this being of huge use/importance in Mhoc.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    Except that the country is only a constitutional monarchy in name. The Queen has no impact on the system except through Royal Assent, and that in itself is ceremonial.
    The royal perogative very much exists, not exercising it often doesn't stop it being there

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Would this include proxies? Also, may you please change "his username" to his or her or s/he. Not every MP is a male you know. :rolleyes:

If it include proxies, nay, if it doesn't, a possible abstain.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by McRite)
    Would this include proxies? Also, may you please change "his username" to his or her or s/he. Not every MP is a male you know. :rolleyes:

If it include proxies, nay, if it doesn't, a possible abstain.
    Their is going to be the best choice if we're wanting to be super PC, but "his" is perfectly valid irrespective of sex

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Their is going to be the best choice if we're wanting to be super PC, but "his" is perfectly valid irrespective of sex

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wasn't trying to be too PC, but I see your point on that issue.

ReputationRep:
    The royal perogative very much exists, not exercising it often doesn't stop it being there

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If the Queen attempted to use her powers to deny a bill passing into law, I believe those powers would be very quickly removed from her.

Also:

"swear by Almighty God"

What if one is not religious, or specifically a follower of an Abrahamic religion?

You might say it doesn't matter. They can still say it. But if they say it and don't mean it, what's the point of making them swear it in the first place? This isn't a theocracy.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    If the Queen attempted to use her powers to deny a bill passing into law, I believe those powers would be very quickly removed from her.

Also:

"swear by Almighty God"

What if one is not religious, or specifically a follower of an Abrahamic religion?

You might say it doesn't matter. They can still say it. But if they say it and don't mean it, what's the point of making them swear it in the first place? This isn't a theocracy.
    Depends on the act

That's what affirmation is there for...pandering to the non conformists.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's what affirmation is there for...pandering to the non conformists.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's not really non-conformists when half the country isn't religious.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by DanE1998)
    Aye.

This is a stimulatory amendment and it is what is allowed according to Cannon.

Further changes would need primary legislative change - I think.
    Not to change procedure within the MHoC – MHoC bills cannot change procedure, only amendments can.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It's not really non-conformists when half the country isn't religious.
    Last I checked it's less than half and that doesn't change it is still a Christian country.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Last I checked it's less than half and that doesn't change it is still a Christian country.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In reference to the first part.

How is it still a Christian country? We have legalised gay marriage, which goes against Christianity. We don't kill adulterers, which goes against Christianity. I could go on.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nay, as others said i don't think it's a big help to realism to have to swear an oath, it just makes the MHoC seem even more intimidating to newbies.

And again, when half the MPs neither believe in God nor support the queen, the oath becomes kind of meaningless.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    In reference to the first part.

How is it still a Christian country? We have legalised gay marriage, which goes against Christianity. We don't kill adulterers, which goes against Christianity. I could go on.
    Because we have a state religion, perhaps?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Because we have a state religion, perhaps?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We don't have an official state religion.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    Aye, great idea here. I would just make one suggestion - that the Speaker or Deputy Speaker (whoever is OP) has to first take the Oath in OP.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    We don't have an official state religion.
    I don't know where you're from, but I do, and every time both IRL and in this era the left has tried to disestablish the CoE they failed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't know where you're from, but I do, and every time both IRL and in this era the left has tried to disestablish the CoE they failed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm from England. I assume you are also.

The Church of England is at an all time low membership. It can hardly be said to be the official religion. How can any religion be said to be a state religion when half the country doesn't follow any religion at all?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.