Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rumbleroar'sArmy)
    Oooh, feeling really nostalgic now! Did anyone read the Hairy Maclary books? I always loved the different descriptions of the dogs... Muffin McLay like a bundle of hay, Bottomly Pots covered in spots and of course Schnitzel von Krumm with the very low tum
    Hairy Maclary! Do you remember Slinky Malinkey? 😄

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1998RF)
    Hairy Maclary! Do you remember Slinky Malinkey? 😄
    Of course! And scarface claw who used to terrorise them all

ReputationRep:
    Read Harry Potter and The Lord of The Rings!

Trust me.. You WONT regret it.

ReputationRep:
    I really hate books aimed towards teens (so John Green, Twilight, Hunger Games, even Harry Potter) so recently I've started reading biographies and autobiographies. They're great! The Malala Yousafzai one in particular was really interesting. If you just pick one for a person you're interested in then you'll just get into it without feeling like you're forcing yourself to read.

Or if that's not right for you then go on the Amazon 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime; there's a good variety on there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    Yes yes yes yes yes The Oatmeal is amazing. It's because of those comics that my favourite animal's the mantis shrimp as well. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    The Very Hungry Caterpillar is a good place to start. It's a literary masterpiece and a step up from The Hunger Games books.
    Lol, don't be mean. Some people have not had the gift of being widely read as children. Also those of us who have still sometimes like children's books. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BTAnonymous)
    I'm 16 years old and have not really read any books. I read the entire Hunger Games triology and all the books in A series of unfortunate events by Lemony Snicket but nothing else.

I'd like to get into reading but don't know where to start. I'm preferably looking for very popular books which a lot of people know about around my age group.
    Amazon's 100 best Young Adult books is useful for catching up with the 'very popular books that people around your age group' might know about.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=BKLN2...d_i=5517817031

I would also suggest Goodreads as a nice site, the lists are really, really good and have a broad range of books.
    https://www.goodreads.com/

ReputationRep:
    Harry Potter is obvious choice.
    Can try The Mortal*Instruments series.
    Divergent series.

Figure out what you enjoy. Can always go to a book website like Barnes and Nobel, find one of the books you've liked and then look at what other people who bought that book also bought.

There's also websites like goodreads or even Amazon where you can look at the most popular young adults or teen books

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.