Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Alert! British citizens who wish to retain EU citizenship ... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    But 52% didn't vote to abolish slavery. If 5% voted to abolish slavery I'd say we should go with what the 5% want. It's irrelevant. We shouldn't be forced through drastic, destructive changes lasting for generations every time 2% of the population change their minds. When the majority is that small, we could've had a completely different outcome if we'd picked a different week to hold the referendum.
    Abolishment of slavery is a constitutional issue, hence it is relevant. The abolishment of slavery was a drastic and destructive change that cost huge amounts of money, the economy relied on slavery for much of its labour, almost like how companies rely on free movement of people to get the cheapest workers. The majority is still a majority, and you show you don't give a flying **** about democracy with you comment on slavery anyway, 5% vs 95% isn't a majority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oShahpo)
    That's stupid. Do you think the EU will be fine with us having free access to the EU, but limiting free access of EU citizens to us?
    As we've seen from this referendum, British "patriots" tend to severely overestimate our significance in the world. We're the mighty British Empire, we can do whatever we want!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    If you are that desperate to keep an EU passport (and you have no foreign-born parents or grandparents), why don't you just move to an EU country? Do some studying (where it's free) or get a job and then in 3-5 years you can apply for citizenship. If you aren't prepared to actually live in these countries then you don't really need an EU passport anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TercioOfParma)
    Abolishment of slavery is a constitutional issue, hence it is relevant. The abolishment of slavery was a drastic and destructive change that cost huge amounts of money, the economy relied on slavery for much of its labour, almost like how companies rely on free movement of people to get the cheapest workers. The majority is still a majority, and you show you don't give a flying **** about democracy with you comment on slavery anyway, 5% vs 95% isn't a majority.
    You're right, I don't care about direct democracy because it's ludicrous and it's not how our government is meant to work, but it's completely irrelevant because 52% isn't enough for a constitutional change. That majority could change overnight, and it almost definitely has.

ReputationRep:
    You're right, I don't care about direct democracy because it's ludicrous and it's not how our government is meant to work, but it's completely irrelevant because 52% isn't enough for a constitutional change. That majority could change overnight, and it almost definitely has.
    The other way, in fact. You hear about leave voters changing to remain, but there are also remain voters changing to leave. My own mother has changed from remain to leave, and there are numerous other accounts of that too.

It is nice that you want oligarchy but ultimately I want a land that is determined by what the people want, not what a bunch of politicians and bureaucrats desire, even if they're less educated, less intelligent, and less objective. I am not saying that representation and parliament is a stupid thing, but I do think that on something so significant more than the 600 odd MPs should be consulted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    Well, that's why this petition exists. It's not affecting the 52%. But this wasn't a landslide victory, and the people who want to stay should be allowed to stay.
    There is no such thing as 'EU' citizenship. Europe is not yet 'the United States of Europe'. There won't even be an EU in ten years time after all the other countries have left.

ReputationRep:
    I think people forget that the U.K. is small and the mainland is huge. This never comes up in talks.

ReputationRep:
    Still a victory, with record turnout too.

I never said it was, but the EU depends on member states, correct? So what exactly is your point with the rest of this? EU had its perks and its disadvantages too, the people chose to not stay.

52% of the electorate that chose to vote. Nobody cares what a 16 year old thinks because they aren't electors, likewise illegal immigrants. Those who chose not to vote effectively abstained. Don't forget, we had a record turnout of voters, and they chose leave.
    Dont get your panties in a twist. I didnt mention anything about 16 year olds or illegal immigrants, you said 52% of the country which is obviously not the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by College_Dropout)
    Dont get your panties in a twist. I didnt mention anything about 16 year olds or illegal immigrants, you said 52% of the country which is obviously not the case.
    You know what I meant.

ReputationRep:
    A few percent in an election of this magnitude is problematic since many did not or could not vote and those that did were uniformed including myself, about the repercussions and incompetence that lay head.

It is clear, as bad as the eu is, they are better at running the uk that it's own spineless gov who did not tend to their own garden in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theplace)
    A fe percent in an election of this magnitude is problematic since many did not or could not,vote and those that did were c.ue.ss, holed included, about the repercussions.
    We had a record turnout, 72% is a massive percentage of the electorate for an election.

ReputationRep:
    You know what I meant.
    Just like I was supposed to know that £350m a week wasnt going to go to the NHS even though every Tom, **** and Harry was spouting it?

ReputationRep:
    Just like I was supposed to know that £350m a week wasnt going to go to the NHS even though every Tom, **** and Harry was spouting it?
    Google is a thing.

ReputationRep:
    In order to win the EU

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking Monaco. But purely because the schools are better there!

ReputationRep:
    A majority of 52% shouldn't be enough for a constitutional change.
    In a democracy it is.

Come on, if Remain won by 52% you wouldn't want a second Referendum, would you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Roast)
    In a democracy it is.

Come on, if Remain won by 52% you wouldn't want a second Referendum, would you?
    Well, obviously not. But you would.

ReputationRep:
    Well, obviously not. But you would.
    No. Personally I wouldn't, because unlike you I respect democracy.

Would you want a 3rd Referendum is Leave won a second time?

People like you make me sick.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, you can go ahead and accept the will of the majority. I'm not going down with this sinking ship and all of its socioeconomically suicidal individuals.

Germany and France are hopefully going to offer dual citizenship to Brits who want and need to move freely in their countries for work purposes. Hopefully once I get that, I will hardly be affected by this Brexshit.
    And if they don't?

I hope the UK sees your kind as a traitor. You'll end up with no nationality :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Well, I knew it was advisory before the election, so yes, you should have known that was only potential.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.