Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Better than the alternatives honestly, unless you for whatever wanted Theresa may or Gove.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    Striving to be the greatest nation in the world is no bad thing.

The fact that her speech was a load of ******** devoid of substance or realism is of greater concern.

I very much doubt she'd beat May. Even if she recouped all the Gove votes from the last vote she's still 69 short.
    In the referendum I was generally impressed with Leadsom. Compared to the frontmen of the campaign she came across well. Boris was just blag and bluster and thinking he was funny when often he was a bit cringey. Gove was just self-important and pompous. Farage was just trying to be controversial but also pressing effective buttons with the potential leave electorate. In that environment, Leadsom seemed like she was sensible and normal and talked sense.

But in this leadership pitch, something isn't quite there with Leadsom. She doesn't look Prime Ministerial. It looks like she's read a business book that says leaders should be optimists and transfer that optimism to the electorate, try and articulate a big vision, don't get bogged in detail, but she's not Obama, it looks very forced. Also she has a tendency to start rambling on about odd things like that stuff about childrens frontal cortex of their brains - that might be an important policy point when devising education policy but for a pitch for leader to go in to one thing like that in detail doesn't work. Blair just said "education, education eeducation', that did the trick for him.

If it was a school, Gove would be the annoying school prefect who likes to insist on handing out detentions and always volunteers to speak in assembly, oblivious to the fact everyone takes the mick out of him. Leadsom is like the form teacher who you'd spend a lot of your classes with, she seems a bit old fashioned but an OK teacher, you wouldn't be scared of her, seems nice enough. May is like the headteacher. She seems fair, but if you got sent to see her you'd be more nervous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    Where can I watch this speech?

I think we should be saving the "greatest nation in the world" for the loony UKIP and BNP parties, as phrases like that reallyyyyy shouldn't be the basis of anyone's campaign.
    While I agree that this shouldn't be the main focal point of any campaign, pride in one's country isn't simply for the far-right; you're probably conflating it with nationalism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IFoundWonderland)
    Did anybody watch her speech this morning? She seems to have the charisma of a mollusc. All those public speaking lessons and she still lacks intonation.

'We can be the greatest nation in the world.'

It surprises me that this is still a concept. There is no use in applying superfluous superlatives to countries; the only way to thrive in today's global climate is by means of strong relations with other nations.

She said she wants to bring her Christian values to the role of PM also :afraid:. Does this have a place in 21st Century hopeful secular politics?
    People's politics depends on their values and as long as religion is around, that will influence peoples values. Of course you could separate the institutions but peoples' opinions are always going to be influenced by their religion.

But it doesn't matter where people's values come from, it is whether you agree with them.

Historically, Christianity has inspired good and bad but that is irrelevant. I don't think modern mainstream Christianity poses any kind of threat and it fits in with most people's values.

ReputationRep:
    Did anybody watch her speech this morning? She seems to have the charisma of a mollusc. All those public speaking lessons and she still lacks intonation.

It surprises me that this is still a concept. There is no use in applying superfluous superlatives to countries; the only way to thrive in today's global climate is by means of strong relations with other nations.

She said she wants to bring her Christian values to the role of PM also :afraid:. Does this have a place in 21st Century hopeful secular politics?
    Christian values! A white female Prime Minister! Patriotism!

TRIGGER TRIGGER TRIGGER TRIGGER!

SAFE SPACE! SAFE SPACE! SAFE SPACE!

ReputationRep:
    Michael Gove has been knocked out

ReputationRep:

Firstly, 'Christian values' could mean a variety of things. 'Christian values' in politics doesn't usually mean unapologetic theocracy but a support of family, community and so on.

Secondly, providing Leadsom is elected democratically, Christianity has as much a right to influence and guide Leadsom's politics as does any other belief system. I don't understand why secularism should be the de facto model of government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mitchell.gkm)
    While I agree that this shouldn't be the main focal point of any campaign, pride in one's country isn't simply for the far-right; you're probably conflating it with nationalism.
    I'm aware it isn't solely concentrated to the far-right, but nationalism tends to be a very prominent feature of the overwhelming majority of far-right political parties.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Personally i'm a Tory and voted Out but beyond voting Out i don't see what she has going for her. Her performance at the hustings and her press conference were both poor. I'm not May's biggest fan ideologically however she has a wealth of experience, she's strong and she seems honest and dependable. She's also gained the respect of 63% of Tory MP's. It's clear who i want to be PM now.

I'd also add that in the context of the labour heartlands rejecting their leadership that the vicor's daughter is a much better narrative than ex banker embroiled in tax avoidance.

ReputationRep:

greatest like in prosperous, peaceful, and countries always compete, they always will as long as nation-states exist.

there was nothing wrong in her speech imho. and if people want good oratory, go back in time and see Hitler or Churchill, not everybody can or will be a master in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iknowbest)
    Religion has a huge impact on Politics... unfortunately Christianity is dying in the UK!
    Agreed. Bring back inequality. Ban gay marriage. And more paedophile priests please! Our country is going down the moral pan what with treating everyone equally.</irony>

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 8, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.