Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone else sick of the dehumanisation of refugees? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swervybang)
    Personally I think Britain should still try to protect its culture and values but we should aim to educate refugees on our own- then it is their choice whether they integrate or not. People are free to live how they wish in this country as long as they don't disturb others' ways of life. Refugees should be made aware of this but should be welcomed with open arms.
    I agree with the education bit. Besides a lot of refugees are children. They all want an education and a better way of life I can't imagine refugees going out of their way to sail the seas in order to come and do nothing with their lives or live in a refugee centre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    And what gives us the right to discriminate on people based on their religion?
    Our right and duty to maintain a safe country for the existing inhabitants, and a need to ensure that incomers are compatible with our way of life, culture and morals.

ReputationRep:
    When the tap is leaking, we can't just cleaning up. We need to find a way to stop the leak. For the refugee crisis, that means destroying IS and the Assad regime once and for all. Although we have a moral obligation to take in some of these desperate refugees, we cannot deny the fact that the crisis is being caused by IS and the Assad regime and both need to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    The UK takes hardly any; comparing neighbouring countries to the UK, rather than Sweden and Germany, is rather silly

Notice how Germany and Sweden get a lot more asylum applications per capita than closer countries
    Greece, Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, UAE all take in way more.

ReputationRep:
    (Note: on this thread, I am talking about actual refugees, not economic migrants)
    I see this everywhere- on TSR, on the news, by politicians and world leaders. The refugees fleeing the brutal Syrian civil war and other conflicts are being labelled as "terrorists" and rapists and, even worse, "rapefugees".

Why are we becoming so hostile as a people? Why do innocent people fleeing a brutal conflict hoping to find somewhere safe to live have to be met with such aggressive, xenophobic behaviour? Why can't we welcome some of these people? Obviously we shouldn't by completely open and accept everyone like the Germans are doing, but with some security checks surely the morally right thing to do would be to welcome some of these poor people and allow them to settle in our country?

As a Christian, I think it's our duty to hold out a hand and help some of these desperate people, especially the families and young children. Jesus was known to be extremely welcoming and caring towards anyone he met. We should follow his example as much as we can:

When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. (Leviticus 19:33-34)

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ (Matthew 25:25-36)
    I don't have a problem with genuine refugees, as long as they aren't ISIS sleeper cells and they adhere to all the laws of our lands, my problem is that they miss out a lot of safe countries on their way to various northern european countries and then when they get there have the gall to complain about various dumb things such as there being no wifi or whatever. They should be grateful we were kind enough to even let them in, not complain when they get here

Also I think they tend to get mixed up with economic migrants from the same countries who commit a lot of sexual and violent crime (or at least that seems to be the cases reported in the media)

ReputationRep:
    Not Greece, nor Italy, the countries where most refugees arrive, as you can see from this image; why would refugees not claim asylum in closer countries, but for economic benefits? We even have many refugees staying in Calais to get to the UK. Is France not good enough?

Yes those refugees in Calais should stay in France and other countries do need to make ore of an effort to welcome refugees. But the OP's point is that Britain isn't doing enough and that we are instead spreading fear over refugees and calling them terrorists when the majority of them are desperate people looking for a safe place to live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dieselblue)
    Lets agree to disagree
    So would you rather have a Syrian family get killed in Syria by air strikes or IS than welcome them into the UK?

ReputationRep:
    OP didn't mention the UK's attitude at all, let alone make it the point of their OP; it sounded more like an attack on criticism of refugees in Europe in general, a call to Christians, not just Britishers; I was merely pointing out that it is hard to distinguish refugees from economic migrants when they deliberately delay claiming asylum so that they can go to a more generous country
    Would you rather have a Syrian die in the war than come here to the UK and live a safe, happy life here?

ReputationRep:
    Would you rather ask biased questions or actually contribute to the discussion here in a meaningful way?
    He was just asking. What would be your answer to that? Or are you too ashamed of what you really believe to tell everyone?

ReputationRep:
    And I was just asking. What would be his answer to that?

What is the point of his question? Are you trying to guilt people into agreeing with you? Sure, I'd rather the average Syrian lived happily in the UK rather than die in Syria. But that is sidestepping my point

I may as well ask: Would you rather a migrant was let into the UK and raped lots of women, or that he stayed in a war zone? Its a similar question, with an 'obvious' answer, do you think there is a point asking them?
    Lol I was just genuinely curious what you thought. Personally, I don't think we should be incredibly welcoming to refugees (like Germany is) either. Their culture is quite different to ours and I don't think they will integrate and lose sime of hose horrific beliefs. But the dehumanisation of them- calling them terrorists, rapefugees, rapists- when the majority of them are shell shocked and looking for a safe place- is awful to say the least. We should be helping them somehow- the best way of doing that is to destroy IS and start negotiations between the Assad regime and opposition groups.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think people particularly dislike refugees, they're just not particularly fond of other people.

ReputationRep:
    Would you rather ask biased questions or actually contribute to the discussion here in a meaningful way?
    Lol that's quality banta
    Absolute 10/10 lad

ReputationRep:
    (Note: on this thread, I am talking about actual refugees, not economic migrants)
    I see this everywhere- on TSR, on the news, by politicians and world leaders. The refugees fleeing the brutal Syrian civil war and other conflicts are being labelled as "terrorists" and rapists and, even worse, "rapefugees".

Why are we becoming so hostile as a people? Why do innocent people fleeing a brutal conflict hoping to find somewhere safe to live have to be met with such aggressive, xenophobic behaviour? Why can't we welcome some of these people? Obviously we shouldn't by completely open and accept everyone like the Germans are doing, but with some security checks surely the morally right thing to do would be to welcome some of these poor people and allow them to settle in our country?

As a Christian, I think it's our duty to hold out a hand and help some of these desperate people, especially the families and young children. Jesus was known to be extremely welcoming and caring towards anyone he met. We should follow his example as much as we can:

When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. (Leviticus 19:33-34)

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ (Matthew 25:25-36)
    When they are violent and raping I find it hard to see these things as "human"

ReputationRep:
    If I was a refugee from Syria I would be in Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan etc, and not in Italy/Greece/Germany/Sweden etc

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.