Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to lose weight in a healthy way? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It's a myth that you should eat breakfast. It's also a myth that losing weight too quickly is unhealthy. Unsustainable? May be. Unhealthy? No.

Obviously what you ate today is not very nutritious. You need more protein and vitamins. But as long as you meet your nutritional needs, the larger the calorie deficit, the faster you will lose weight and it is not unhealthy.

The difficulty is how to make a calorie deficit sustainable. Personally, I find eliminating carbohydrates to be most effective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by offhegoes)
    Evidence shows that sugar and fat are both capable of causing heart disease. Both are essential and both can cause harm, so no point trying to suggest sugar intake is not an issue.
    Have you got any meta-analysis studies backing your bs?

ReputationRep:
    Not eating enough and feeling hungry all the time can slow down metabolism. Best advice: Control portions, eat healthy natural foods (none of those fat free BS foods). Exercise (switch between cardio and weight). Progressive overload is important when losing 'fat' (not going to say weight unless ur target is to also lose muscle). Most importantly, be happy. This is a lifestyle change and you need to stay consistent. Good luck
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Peppercrunch)
    Hiya, so I kind of want to lose around half a kilo - a kilo a week.

Currently, I'm around 164cm tall and around 59kg (female).
    It's always stayed around that, however, I do want to lose some weight after some recent pictures showed off some unappealing aspects, leading to my parents saying comments about my weight.

I cut down on snacks from May, and stopped consuming soft drinks regularly. I do admit that I skip breakfast (only having a belvita soft breakfast biscuit baked from time to time), and I have not been eating much over the past few days. For example, today I had a ham and lettuce sandwich, a 30g bag of plain popcorn and 2 chocolate digestives. I just haven't had any appetite.

I feel that this is not healthy, with such a high calorie deficit considering that on 4 days of the week, I do at least 2 hours of physical activity such as lifting heavy objects, and brisk walking as part of my volunteering work and my part-time job.

Any tips for how to do it healthily?
    So by my estimation you have a BMI of 22.3. That is a healthy weight.
    In theory you could stay within the normal range even with 10kg less, vut that is right on the edge of underweight.

You have a daily calorie requirement to maintain of 1700 calories.

1lb a week is fine- weight loss inst linear so you will lose some weeks and not others.
    You will only lose if you are at an accurate consistent calorific deficit. That means you need to eat less than your 1700.

The only reasonable , consistent and accurate way to know this is to weigh your food and log it so you know how many calories you consume. If you wanted to lose 1lb a week thats 500 calories a day for a week as roughly 3500 calories = 1lb.
    If you open up an account on MFP then it takes care of all the claculations and you just log your food daily. It will also work out your macros.

If you eat at a consistent deficit of 500 calories a day, then you will lose weight.

So to answer your other questions. there are two more aspects to losing weight healthily, now that you have established a realistic rate to lose at.

1. Eat a more nutritious diet. You cna keep it really easy by eating whole grains, complex carbs, 5 portions of fruit and veg plus lean proteins. Also hit yout macros on non saturates fats and fibre.
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/...thyeating.aspx

2. the other aspect is to do exercise. Cardio will help you burn calories. About 30 mins reasonably intense cardio will burn you 250 calories or you ccould walk for 45 mins. This will help cardio vascular and stop you getting out of breath. Workouts, swimming, running, bike etc all help. Do 30-60 mins a day.
    The other aspect is to lift weight. This will increase tha amount of fat you lose (which is what you want) and help to retain muscle. It will help change your shape and make you more compact. Do not neglect resistance work.

I would be doing it 3-4 times a week and cardio almost every day even if its 45 mins walk.

Summary.
    I just noticed you do get some exercise with your p/t job naturally. That might be all you need. Its hard to estimate how much thhat may or may not be burning.

You did pick a realsitic rate of loss, but its still going to come off over time and onlu if you are at a deficit.

Join MFP and then you cna get a better control of what you are eating and how much. It will show you the calories and what you get for them in terms of nutrition. That way you can see when you are eaying too much or too little .

Weight loss is 80% diet. Just hit your macros and then you cna choose what to use the rest of your calories for,

If you need 1700 calories then a 500 deficit would give you 1lb a week. You could make half of that up with exercise and half by eating less. So 30-45 mins exercise a day and 1450 calories would get you about on target. Weigh yourself over 3-4 weeks and adjust as needed.

Read the stickies on here or on MFP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I feel myself)
    Have you got any meta-analysis studies backing your bs?
    Here is one of many studies using meta analysis that conclude increased risk of heart disease from high sugar consumption:

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/106/4/523

And some more links detailing the thoughts of reputable and impartial sources:

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2014/02Februa...se-deaths.aspx

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Health...sp#mainContent

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/e...e-201402067021

ReputationRep:
    Go vegan. For real search before and after going vegan in google. Some people lose up to 40 pounds. Its super healthy and cuts out all the bad stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idontknowmedoyou)
    Go vegan. For real search before and after going vegan in google. Some people lose up to 40 pounds. Its super healthy and cuts out all the bad stuff.
    Wish I could do that. I rarely eat red meats (probably have like a steak once every few months), and have never had lamb before. Not a huge fan of pork either.

Chicken is just too damn tasty, and same with sushi.

Thing is, I'm not exactly compatible with tofu and other soy bean derivatives, which I've heard is eaten a lot of vegetarians and vegans.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, so I kind of want to lose around half a kilo - a kilo a week.

Currently, I'm around 164cm tall and around 59kg (female).
    It's always stayed around that, however, I do want to lose some weight after some recent pictures showed off some unappealing aspects, leading to my parents saying comments about my weight.

I cut down on snacks from May, and stopped consuming soft drinks regularly. I do admit that I skip breakfast (only having a belvita soft breakfast biscuit baked from time to time), and I have not been eating much over the past few days. For example, today I had a ham and lettuce sandwich, a 30g bag of plain popcorn and 2 chocolate digestives. I just haven't had any appetite.

I feel that this is not healthy, with such a high calorie deficit considering that on 4 days of the week, I do at least 2 hours of physical activity such as lifting heavy objects, and brisk walking as part of my volunteering work and my part-time job.

Any tips for how to do it healthily?
    http://www.iifym.com/weight-loss-calculator/

Edit: Also, if you find yourself physically unappealing at the ostensible 'healthy' BMI, chances are it's because you've a relatively high proportion of adipose to lean tissue; building muscle will help to overcome this.

ReputationRep:
    Wish I could do that. I rarely eat red meats (probably have like a steak once every few months), and have never had lamb before. Not a huge fan of pork either.

Chicken is just too damn tasty, and same with sushi.

Thing is, I'm not exactly compatible with tofu and other soy bean derivatives, which I've heard is eaten a lot of vegetarians and vegans.
    Soy can be a huge part of a vegan diet. If you don't think you could go fully vegan you could try cutting out just dairy as dairy is very fattening and unhealthy, a lot of celebrities have given up dairy for that reason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idontknowmedoyou)
    Soy can be a huge part of a vegan diet. If you don't think you could go fully vegan you could try cutting out just dairy as dairy is very fattening and unhealthy, a lot of celebrities have given up dairy for that reason
    Oh, thank you. I don't really drink milk anyways. In fact, I don't even eat cereal with milk , and I hate the taste of cheese apart from Leerdammer.

Shame there's dairy in so many other things like chocolate, however I haven't been bothered to buy any chocolate for a while.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    http://www.iifym.com/weight-loss-calculator/

Edit: Also, if you find yourself physically unappealing at the ostensible 'healthy' BMI, chances are it's because you've a relatively high proportion of adipose to lean tissue; building muscle will help to overcome this.
    Ah, thank you. I'll probably try to go back to body combat classes which I gave up due to exams.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Don't even know where to begin with this car crash of a thread. Read what Tiger and profesh have written. Then read the FA

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I understand your situation and study in weight loss and calisthenics so I think I can help! First of all you are completely right when you say you feel this might not be healthy. The simple answer to losing fat is to reduce the amount of calories you eat while increasing the amount of exercise you do. But the thing is you don't want to make these changes to fast, you want to give your body time to adapt to it's new diet and habits. This is also why it is important to look at changing your diet on a long term basis, not just for a few weeks and then go back to your regular diet. This is what most people do when they want to lose weight, then when they go back to their regular diet they eventually gain back all of the weight their previously had and lose all of their efforts and hard work they put in. To avoid this you should make gradual smaller changes instead of one big radical change, and not only is it better for your body but there is also more chance that you stick to it.

I personally succeeded reaching my goals in terms of bodyweight and physical performance just reading and learning by myself on the internet. It is a longer and harder route to take because you have to get motivated by yourself but especially because the fitness industry on the internet is full of contradicting informations and it makes it very hard to know who to listen to and what plan to follow. What I can do is give you some free resources that I have used myself that could probably help you.

Website that helps you track your progress, I personally liked:

MyFitnessPal.com
    My Fitness Pal is great, They help you keep track of your calories, they have a nice community and they have weight loss and diet information on they website.
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/

LoseIt.com
    Lose it is very similar to my fitness pal but I felt like the community was a little less active then my fitness pal. It really all depends on your preferences you might want to try both and see which one you prefer for yourself.
    https://www.loseit.com/

and two other resources I really like to use is netdoctor and nutrition facts.
    http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/
    http://nutritionfacts.org/

Actually here is an article on losing weight the healthy way on netdoctor: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/healthy-e...e-healthy-way/

Finally if you either feel like you would like more assistance or you would like experts to walk you through the process I would really recommend the 3 week diet. It is not a completely free option like the ones I previously mentioned but I know they can give you fast results in a healthy way that is simple to follow. Now the truth is the information you get by buying a 27 dollars guide like the three week diet is not any different from the information you will get by doing research yourself on the internet. The big difference between going with free sites like I previously mentioned or going with a paid program is that with a program like the three week diet you know all of what you get is the best information you can have and and they already did all of the research for you, so all you have to do is follow their instructions with their diet manual, workout manual and even mindset and motivational manual and you will have success, in fact if you don't have success they will pay you back the whole program. The only thing with their program is they really focus on the first three weeks and then you have to continue by yourself, but I haven't found that a problem since the hardest part is always the first few weeks. After that you just want to find your right amount of exercise and calories to maintain you desired weight. Also I'm pretty sure their program is currently more then 40% off!

The Three Week Diet: http://c701clq34zeyeu20a-k6q6mq8x.hop.clickbank.net/

I really hope I could help, I know losing weight can be hard, just remember perseverance and dedication will make the biggest change! Good luck!

Josef

ReputationRep:
    If you want to lose weight it is very simple. Many try to make it seem not so they can sell a product.

To lose weight burn more calories than you take in.
    Now, this done through a healthy diet. Exercise makes you more healthy yes, but going for a run and then eating two kit kats won't make you lose weight.
    So, focus on diet to reduce weight and add it exercise to increase health.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.