Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Remainers, how will you feel if Britain thrives outside the EU? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabstercat)
    hilarious as everyone in this thread has said the exact opposite
    Good point. They're positive enough in this thread, at least!

It's just everywhere else they post the sky seems to be falling down.

(Original post by Supersaps)
    Good point. They're positive enough in this thread, at least!

It's just everywhere else they post the sky seems to be falling down.
    to be expected after the humiliation and defeat of the referendum

but I think very few actually want UK to suffer long-term from this

ReputationRep:
    I'll give you one example:

On Saturday morning, the Independent with considerable schadenfreude gleefully plastered over its frontpage that the FTSE 100 had dropped by 7% in the morning after the vote.

They then mentioned in tiny print the next day that it recovered all it's losses and gained 7.5% at the end of the day. :P

ReputationRep:

On Saturday morning, the Independent with considerable schadenfreude gleefully plastered over its frontpage that the FTSE 100 had dropped by 7% in the morning after the vote.

They then mentioned in tiny print the next day that it recovered all it's losses and gained 7.5% at the end of the day. :P
    The same Independent that is no longer in print.

Nice front page and tiny print

:laugh: :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Lol. Well, obviously the UK will be prosperous in decades.

The great Brexit con was saying that you wouldn't be able to prove that the UK would be more prosperous in the EU.

ReputationRep:

That's not schadenfreude. That's reporting something that happened, and pointing out that Remain's warnings are right.

And it's daft to simply point to the results of the immediate following day, as the experience of past slumps and depressions is that they veer sharply up and down while still pursuing a steep downhill trend. And I notice that Leavers are only focussing on FTSE 100 and pound fluctuations and ignoring everything else that is already crumbling, like the FTSE 250, property funds, house prices, foreign investment and so on.

Honestly, if things turn out to settle after a year and recover, then sure, I'll be the first to admit that Remain were scaremongering. But again, Leave deserve no credit because they made no arguments, provided no evidence, and had - have - no plan.

And if the economic struggle ends up running for longer, potentially a decade or more, than no amount of economic prosperity at the end will make it worthwhile, as in the meantime a generation will have suffered.

It would be like someone knocking a hole into a ship, and when everyone else stops the leak and keeps the ship afloat, that saboteur saying 'See, I told you it would be fine!'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    The same Independent that is no longer in print.

Nice front page and tiny print

:laugh: :laugh:

It's still published online.

I would know as I read it everyday.

ReputationRep:
    I was leaving anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much most remainers are determined to sulk until everything collapses anyway just so they can say -I told you so-
    Nope. It seems the difference between a lot of leavers and remainers is that you think the future of the country is a game that you just won. I voted remain because I don't want to **** up my (and other peoples) futures. If it all works out well anyway then I've lost nothing.

It doesn't make it any less of a stupid decision, just like putting your life's savings on the lottery is ****ing stupid even if you happen to win.

ReputationRep:

Yeh, sure and that is why you wrote "front page".

ReputationRep:

[email protected] the independent everyday.

Maybe next it will be the FT and guardian since you are making things up

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, sure and that is why you wrote "front page".
    Ok well, huge font. Headline, flashing red etc

Contrasted with:

tiny footnote at the bottom of an article

ReputationRep:
    [email protected] the independent everyday.

Maybe next it will be the FT and guardian since you are making things up
    wow.

Do you find it so difficult to believe that newspapers put a huge slant on their own perspective?

ReputationRep:
    Ok well, huge font. Headline, flashing red etc

Contrasted with:

tiny footnote at the bottom of an article
    Tiny footnote? Maybe, you should find this article with tiny footnote for me since I read the website most days.

PS: You won't find it because it doesn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    Let's not make this thread into anymore of a pissing contest over who reads the Indy the most.

If you're happy to have your head in the sand, that's fine by me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grand High Witch)
    Hypothetically, in a couple of decades, Britain is extremely prosperous in every field and maintains an international presence. It has lucrative trade deals across the globe, the economy is flourishing and the immigration debate has settled. The EU however has numerous problems with the Euro, migration and social cohesion.

How would you feel? Would you regret having voted remain? Or did you vote remain because of the more theoretical concept of European unity, regardless of the practical circumstances?

None of this "that won't happen" please - it's meant to be a hypothetical, not-entirely-impossible scenario.
    It would be despite the vote, not because of it. We will still have dirty foreigners coming in, don't you worry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    wow.

Do you find it so difficult to believe that newspapers put a huge slant on their own perspective?
    That is just your perspective. I am just interested in facts.

The facts are that FTSE 100 only derives 25% of it's income from the UK compared to the FTSE 250 which is 50%.

If you look at the individual companies then the worst affected are those that are based in Britain.

Also, once you take into the dollar value of the FTSE then it is still down 10%.

ReputationRep:
    I'm more interested in who the next scapegoat for the problems of the day will be. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FredOrJohn)
    Its not so much about money. As an INDIVIDUAL I have ENJOYED working around Europe doing Contracts and I guess others have enjoyed studying.

To no longer be allowed to commute to Europe because elderly people in the UK did not like me doing it, I feel it is a big shock to my system. It does not matter how many pound notes they bribe me with in the coming years, I will still feel sad.

Perhaps I had a dream of retiring to a small vinyard in Spain or to Finland ... Now its going to be Eastbourne.
    How much money will it take before you enjoy living in Eastbourne?
    I think I now understand why you have an OCD esque obsession with the outcome of the Referendum.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously happy that doesnt make our reasons for wanting to stay wrong though.. Britain was fine in the EU and now its on the edge of a dark pit and we have no idea what will happen..

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 8, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.