Turn on thread page Beta

Best time to be alive? watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Right now, this is one of the most peaceful times to be alive, and our medicine is suitably advanced to ensure that we don't have to worry constantly about crippling or deadly diseases. It's a romantic idea to have been alive at another time and experienced it, but in reality, life sucked for the majority of people throughout history.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by iamamarxist)
    how can you possibly state that the best time to be alive was when our country had a horrific colonialist doctrine, one that involved racism and violence?

in answer to your question, my subjective opinion is that the 1920s-1960s were, we had so many interesting scientific, cultural and political developments, the change was so rapid and unexpected and frankly one can easily argue that such a period of change and prosperity will not be achieved for a long time to come
    Easily;
    1] Take into account the context i.e. colonialism was the given back then by all countries, not just Britain, albeit we did it better than most.
    2] violence is subjective, for instance it is still the common first resort now and its far worse now, arguably, take the hundreds of thousands if not millions who have been slughtered in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Nigeria, Congo and so on. So proportionately it was [for lack of a better word] better then.
    3] And this is slightly more controvertial so bare with me, given the question was best time to be alive and i'm a european male arguably back then was the best time to be alive, as i said thats more just making an arguement for it than ones own beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    1933 when hitler comes to power with a shotgun....

Assuming we travel back and our current age stays the same then I would like to go to 2012 so that by the time it arrived to me making this post i would be 21 by which point i would hopefully be financially independent, forging my own career and doing whatever I wanted
    Plus i also really liked 2012
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    After thinking about that carefully, It is the ancient Japan in times of the Samurai era. If I am living in this time as a Samurai, I am able to learn the sword style of these warriors. If I would live in this era from the beginning, I would cope with the everyday life of a samurai, so being aware of dying on a battlefield by commiting suicide and decapitated (decapitated by the enemy is the worst, as it means to bring shame on your own samurai caste). In the other hand, if I have so much luck and survive the battles and clashes of samurais, I have the chance to become a buddhist monk in retirement age.

Even if it is highely unlikely.*
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ikhan94)
    The way you phrased that makes it sound like Hitler came to power using a shotgun :lol:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ikhan94)
    So would you go back to the past just to shot him? an assassination like J.F.Kennedy? the true Kennedy's perpetrator is still unknown, would that be possible in Nazi era too? escaping unscathed by shooting Hitler? worth consideration.*

ReputationRep:
    Anywhere as long as I'm not an infant in the state of Sparta. Especially an "unfit" newborn.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.