Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I dislike my brother in law watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My sister met her husband 5 years ago and they where married 2 years later. At first me and him got on great he was like the big brother I never had but since they got married he has been horrible to me. He always finds opportunities to put me down and make me feel crap about myself and I'm starting to get sick of it, I'm actually surprised I've made it this long without snapping. I have told my parents and other family members about it in the past and everyone thinks I'm being stupid except for my grandma who is also starting to dislike him because of the way he is.

Anyway me, my parents, my two sisters and him recently went on holiday together and because of the way he was with me he made my holiday completely un-enjoyable. My little sister also noticed the way he was with me and she's on my side saying she's starting to dislike him but my parents think I'm being stupid. This holiday had been planned for over a year and I was really looking forward to it but it was completely ruined by him. I feel like he's tried to drive a wedge between me and my family and he's succeeded.

I feel completely alone. What should I do?
    Tell your sister who married him

(Original post by Shazen)
    Tell your sister who married him
    I have done that in the past but it got me nowhere

ReputationRep:
    Seems like its not going to change. You have to take it upon yourself and fight back.

ReputationRep:
    My sister met her husband 5 years ago and they where married 2 years later. At first me and him got on great he was like the big brother I never had but since they got married he has been horrible to me. He always finds opportunities to put me down and make me feel crap about myself and I'm starting to get sick of it, I'm actually surprised I've made it this long without snapping. I have told my parents and other family members about it in the past and everyone thinks I'm being stupid except for my grandma who is also starting to dislike him because of the way he is.

Anyway me, my parents, my two sisters and him recently went on holiday together and because of the way he was with me he made my holiday completely un-enjoyable. My little sister also noticed the way he was with me and she's on my side saying she's starting to dislike him but my parents think I'm being stupid. This holiday had been planned for over a year and I was really looking forward to it but it was completely ruined by him. I feel like he's tried to drive a wedge between me and my family and he's succeeded.

I feel completely alone. What should I do?
    I have a similar problem can I ask what kind of things he does or say to put you down. In my situation I simply try and limit the amount of time I spend with him. It is unlikely they will split up now married so maybe its best to try and limit the damage.

ReputationRep:
    Ask him straight up them what's his problem?

(Original post by Dr.Snake)
    Seems like its not going to change. You have to take it upon yourself and fight back.
    But when I do fight back everyone gangs up against me so I feel like I have nowhere to go.

(Original post by karl pilkington)
    I have a similar problem can I ask what kind of things he does or say to put you down. In my situation I simply try and limit the amount of time I spend with him. It is unlikely they will split up now married so maybe its best to try and limit the damage.
    I posted earlier on what he says to me. Basically he just always puts me down and makes me feel crap about myself. It's like he gets a kick out of doing it.

UPDATE: So as was suggested by some people on here I tried talking to my parents about this yesterday but they just started shouting at me and arguing with me telling me I was being ridiculous. I wasn't being funny about it I just said I was a little bit upset with the way he speaks to me sometimes and they just where not listening to what I was saying. Where do I go from here? I feel like I can't talk to anyone in my family about this. I feel completely alone and pushed to the side by my family at the moment.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.