Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dominae)
    Throwing in case studies but whatever.

Money and Ehrhardt's study of gender development (the case of David Reimer) and the study of Genie, the "feral child".

Not sure why these are my favourites ;P
    They're really interesting

ReputationRep:

Money and Ehrhardt's study of gender development (the case of David Reimer) and the study of Genie, the "feral child".

I've forgotten about this case study, feral child cases are really intriguing actually, I saw one where he was raised by chickens! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kamara7)
    I've forgotten about this case study, feral child cases are really intriguing actually, I saw one where he was raised by chickens! :eek:
    Wait what? That's amazing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-LJLB)
    Wait what? That's amazing!
    Ikr!!! Dunno if it was a study but I remember watching a TV series were a woman went around the world in search of feral children. I can only vaguely remember it but I think he was able to adapt to a human lifestyle, but I'm not sure though.

ReputationRep:
    Ikr!!! Dunno if it was a study but I remember watching a TV series were a woman went around the world in search of feral children. I can only vaguely remember it but I think he was able to adapt to a human lifestyle, but I'm not sure though.
    It's so devastating How anyone can let their children go through that...no matter the circumstances, it's terrible. I believe most have adapted very well for their circumstances though, which is good

ReputationRep:
    It's so devastating How anyone can let their children go through that...no matter the circumstances, it's terrible. I believe most have adapted very well for their circumstances though, which is good
    Oh wait, just googled it and I think in this case he didn't adapt

The one I was thinking of was the guy in this picture:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...l-8165967.html:

ReputationRep:
    Oh wait, just googled it and I think in this case he didn't adapt

The one I was thinking of was the guy in this picture:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...l-8165967.html:
    In the paragraph it says at age 40 he has recovered after years of therapy

ReputationRep:
    In the paragraph it says at age 40 he has recovered after years of therapy
    Oh, I didn't see that, that's great!

ReputationRep:
    Definitely Social Influence research studies because those are the ones many people can relate to and definitely have real world application mostly Milgram, Asch, Zimbardo, Moscovici,...

ReputationRep:
    I found the bio rhythm and sleep studies the most interesting, however they're the most ethically wrong ahah. Some of them are just weird. Like russell et al who gathered the armpit sweat of women and put it on other women's upper lips to get their periods to sync I forgot the researcher's name but they shook mice up to disturb bio rhythms, measuring whether it had worked or not, by measuring the rate of tumour growth.also the one where they suspended mice over a turntable to disrupt their sleep was pretty brutal - they all died because of it. morgan et al is also interesting - breeding hamsters with decreased sleep/wake cycle of 20 hours, then taking the SCN out of these hamsters and putting it in others, who then also got 20 hour sleep/wake cycle.

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone read The Lucifer Effect by Zimbardo about the Stanford Prison Experiment and how it can be related to the behaviours in Abu Gharib?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonsonmars)
    I found the bio rhythm and sleep studies the most interesting, however they're the most ethically wrong ahah. Some of them are just weird. Like russell et al who gathered the armpit sweat of women and put it on other women's upper lips to get their periods to sync I forgot the researcher's name but they shook mice up to disturb bio rhythms, measuring whether it had worked or not, by measuring the rate of tumour growth.also the one where they suspended mice over a turntable to disrupt their sleep was pretty brutal - they all died because of it. morgan et al is also interesting - breeding hamsters with decreased sleep/wake cycle of 20 hours, then taking the SCN out of these hamsters and putting it in others, who then also got 20 hour sleep/wake cycle.
    haha I was going to say that one by Russell of the pheromones for biological rhythms

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimarshmallow)
    Did anyone read The Lucifer Effect by Zimbardo about the Stanford Prison Experiment and how it can be related to the behaviours in Abu Gharib?
    Yes and no

ReputationRep:

Genie was one of the others I liked, couldn't remember the name of her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    If anyone mentions that stupid Bobo doll study which was an absolute joke of a study I will hunt you down.
    It's my fave study because it's funny watching the kids beat up the dolls

But generally I like studies on aggression I'm not sure why lol

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know how difficult psychology at degree level is compared to a-level?

ReputationRep:
    From the classics I like the Little Hans Case Study by Freud (1909) and Little Albert by Waston (1920)

In my Niche I like false confession studies by Kassin and Gudjonsson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedRosesBloom)
    Yes and no
    Did you just read the first half? That's what I did. He didn't half repeat himself.

ReputationRep:
    Deffo Milgram esp the movies and TV show episodes that were based around that study. And also the prison one again because of the german movie i watched based on that study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    If anyone mentions that stupid Bobo doll study which was an absolute joke of a study I will hunt you down.
    Hehe. Do give some details!

I feel that way about a lot of the "classics" people learn at A level. I never came across any of them during my psychology education and don't consider them particularly important for psychology today (except perhaps the Asch conformity studies).

My favourite study is pretty recent. The "choice blindness" studies: http://www.lucs.lu.se/choice-blindness-group/

In their first study, they showed how people fabricate reasons for the choices they make using a cool blend of psychology and magic tricks. See here for a video explanation:

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/...t/0/steps/3231

Certainly modern classic studies.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.