Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How many of you are dual nationals or more? Watch

• View Poll Results: How many countries do you hold citizenship to?
    31.25%
    59.38%
    6.25%
    4+
    3.13%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Is it really worth having though? Unless you plan on living there in the future (and why would you want to), then I can't see any value in having a US passport. US citizens who live abroad have to pay American income tax!
    I didn't know that. I guess the thought of having an American passport sounds cool. Nothings set in stone and obviously I still have to consider a lot of things [like American tax].

ReputationRep:
    Is it really worth having though? Unless you plan on living there in the future (and why would you want to), then I can't see any value in having a US passport. US citizens who live abroad have to pay American income tax!
    It's absolutely not worth it. My mother pays a lot of tax working abroad with her passport. She will likely give it up soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    i thought you were 18 or something cos u were teaching me maths

Spoiler:
    Show
    Just want an excuse to use the latter gif.

ReputationRep:
    UK and Overseas Citizenship of India.

Despite the misleading name, it's not full citizenship of India :lol:
    It does give me the right to go there as and when I want, live there for however long i want, work, start a business, own property etc.
    The only things I can't do is own agricultural land or stand for election. Not that I'd want to do either anyway :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Portuguese and have an OCI

Will be attempting to get British citizenship soon

ReputationRep:
    Whoops - sorry! I didn't realise that you had to have a passport from somewhere to be considered a 'dual national', so I voted for 2 instead of 1. If this is for research (I'm guessing that it might be because of the deadline for the poll), please take my mistake into account.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by 34908seikj)

Spoiler:
    Show
    Just want an excuse to use the latter gif.

ReputationRep:
    UK and Mauritius

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banana00)
    Whoops - sorry! I didn't realise that you had to have a passport from somewhere to be considered a 'dual national', so I voted for 2 instead of 1. If this is for research (I'm guessing that it might be because of the deadline for the poll), please take my mistake into account.
    You dont have to hold a passport, if youre registered with the government as a citizen thats fine =]
    I didn't know that. I guess the thought of having an American passport sounds cool. Nothings set in stone and obviously I still have to consider a lot of things [like American tax].
    Tax aside American citizenship does have certain perks; its the most powerful passport isnt it?
    Excellent consular assistance
    if i recall they dont extradite their citizens?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Napp)
    Tax aside American citizenship does have certain perks; its the most powerful passport isnt it?
    I wouldn't have thought that a US passport is particularly powerful. Swiss passports are supposed to be the most coveted, and German and Swedish passports give you the most visa-free access.

ReputationRep:
    United Kingdom and Argentina!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    You dont have to hold a passport, if youre registered with the government as a citizen thats fine =]

It's actually not, IIRC the UK is like 2nd or 3rd most powerful, while the US is pretty far down, like 11th.

Edit: See here, the US is the 5th most powerful passport, where as the UK is 2nd.

https://www.passportindex.org/byRank.php

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't have thought that a US passport is particularly powerful. Swiss passports are supposed to be the most coveted, and German and Swedish passports give you the most visa-free access.
    Aye essentially any country thats In the west and either is or originally was european :L
    Americas at 4 apparently

ReputationRep:
    Just Israeli but been in the UK long enough to get a tasty student loan

ReputationRep:
    My mother has a Nigerian and a United Kingdom passport. All of my other family members and myself only have a UK passport.

ReputationRep:
    UK/Spain

But only have a Spanish passport

ReputationRep:
    Uk/Netherlands

ReputationRep:
    Ah, that wonderful thing known as an OCI. Beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    What's the rationale behind that?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.