Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    And to clear this up, as to its origins:

The concept of an alpha male comes from wild animals. Wolf packs have an alpha pair who lead the pack, are allowed to eat first, and are the ones who can reproduce (stronger parents = stronger offspring).

Humans, and other animals, can display alpha traits - leadership, sexual dominance etc. I won't deny it. But there is no such thing as an 'alpha male' outside pack hierarchy, and the concept of a 'beta male' is in itself even more ridiculous.

We're human, not canine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    True. So what do you prefer?
    I agree with the others in that classifying into these types is probably pointless
    Not something I think about generally.

ReputationRep:
    Does it really matter?
    Only on TSR it seems as this is the only place I've ever heard it mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    We're human, not canine.
    Offensive to werewolves, reported
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Why not cycle through the whole alphabet? Why should we exclusively use the first two letters?

Sigma males, Mu males, Pi males, etc....

A simple "what type of guy do you go far" will reveal most women go for guys with the traits of alpha males.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by UWS)
    Why not cycle through the whole alphabet? Why should we exclusively use the first two letters?

The **** is an omega male then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Offensive to werewolves, reported
    I'm sowwy I didn't wanna offend :emo:

(Original post by UWS)

I'm more of a Pie male myself :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    A simple "what type of guy do you go far" will reveal most women go for guys with the traits of alpha males.
    Not girls on here, they generally seem much more mature :cute:

ReputationRep:
    Attachments Pending Approval
  1. File Type: jpg 1468077747941.jpg (151.9 KB)

ReputationRep:
    Alpha traits are generally more desireable imo, but who am I to say, I am a man, not a woman.

Ladies, would you rather your partner to be the leader, the rock in your relationship, independent, goal-driven who stands up for himself when his values are challenged; or would you like your man to be the passive follower, needy due to fear of losing you, always seeking for validation from you and a push-over for people because he wants to please as many people as he can to avoid conflict?

I am guessing most will choose the former, which in my opinion, are alpha traits.

(Original post by Legendstatusxoxo)
    prefer a gamma male myself
    ffs beat me to it

(Original post by Ethics Maniac)
    Alpha traits are generally more desireable imo, but who am I to say, I am a man, not a woman.

Ladies, would you rather your partner to be the leader, the rock in your relationship, independent, goal-driven who stands up for himself when his values are challenged; or would you like your man to be the passive follower, needy due to fear of losing you, always seeking for validation from you and a push-over for people because he wants to please as many people as he can to avoid conflict?

I am guessing most will choose the former, which in my opinion, are alpha traits.
    Finally. Some brute honesty.

ReputationRep:
    OP has to post anonymously. Can't even own his views. Has to hide behind a wall of anonymity.

What a beta.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    And to clear this up, as to its origins:

The concept of an alpha male comes from wild animals. Wolf packs have an alpha pair who lead the pack, are allowed to eat first, and are the ones who can reproduce (stronger parents = stronger offspring).
    Err... that stuff on wolfs has been largely discredited I believe.

The whole thing is based on crap science and completely ignores all the science out there on hierarchies. Compare how chimps differ to bonobos just to see how much variation there is. Yet these muppets build their "theories" on the red pill :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    I can't help but feel this alpha/beta crap is a concept created by people who consider themselves better than everyone else. It's as if they feel a need to plug their own insecurities this way. Basically they're in denial

ReputationRep:
    What about Gamma males?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an_atheist)
    The **** is an omega male then?
    Omega males are ones that find a totally different route to mating success.

Say two stags are rutting for the right to the females. A third males sneaks in and has sex with the females whilst they are rutting and then runs off. That third male is an omega male.

I guess an example in humans could be bisexual men who were left behind whilst the rest of the men went off to hunt would have sex with now unguarded females.

ReputationRep:
    Screw the alpha and beta males. It's all about the omega males, AKA the lone wolf!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Only on TSR it seems as this is the only place I've ever heard it mentioned.
    there is only one pack leader on TSR... he is signified by the highest number of reps. *

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.