Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Now that we've left the EU, let's re nationalize the railways? watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by venetiaan)
    If the UK's government didnt want to privatize railways they wouldnt have done it. If Greece and Italy ( two countries that "enjoy" a lot more of the EU's interventions than others) have managed to keep their railways nationalized( although I dont know for how long this will go on) then I'm sure that the UK could have kept them privatized.

Edit: Btw I love your icon
    Italy isn't entirely state owned and the Greeks lose a billion a year despite the network being minor

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    If the UK's government didnt want to privatize railways they wouldnt have done it. If Greece and Italy ( two countries that "enjoy" a lot more of the EU's interventions than others) have managed to keep their railways nationalized( although I dont know for how long this will go on) then I'm sure that the UK could have kept them nationalized as well.

Edit: Btw I love your icon
    They also do it on a technicality whereby it's private with 100% stare stakeholding

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IronicalMan)
    So obviously I know EU legislation prevents the government owning more than 50 percent of a company/firm so we couldn't nationalize the railways whilst in the EU.
    However now that we're not I think we should re nationalize them.
    My arguments for, my train line is abbellio greater anglia, and trust me they're arguably one of the worse train providers in the country, for a season ticket a month, it's 400 pounds, so If I was to take the apprenticeship I wanted in london, it would be 4 grand a year or more out of the 17 grand I'd earn.
    Transport is far too expensive in this country and the train companies are always increasing fares, but I never see any investment go into the trains or, the service getting better.
    The trains are constantly delayed/canceled on my line, which is **** if you want to get to work....
    Arguments against nationalization are usually of the sort of, it means less efficiency, investment ect. However I don't believe a free market on the train lines works, because let's face it, other than network rail(which only managed the line), once the company has the train line they can do what the **** they want because there's no competition.
    I think people would much rather, including myself, have the train companies owned by the government so we could hold them accountable, I believe that there would be more benefits nationalizing it, than not, and prices should decrease(as long as the government too decides to not take the piss). Also we'd see investment go into the train services hopefully, instead of gready companies such as my one, always racking up the price 10 percent for no return other than that all that money pisses of to germany(it's owned by the germans, funny how it's one of the worst considering that).

Thoughts?
    Abellio are ALWAYS doing improvement works?

I used that line to get to school for eight years and was only late twice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Italy isn't entirely state owned and the Greeks lose a billion a year despite the network being minor

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I just used Italy because you mentioned it. I didn't really know who owns it but Greece still stands.
    The point is that you can keep the railway nationalized though. I don't know if if it's for better or for worse but it can actually happen.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    They also do it on a technicality whereby it's private with 100% stare stakeholding

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I assume a similar way to how TFL is owned?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I just used Italy because you mentioned it. I didn't really know who owns it but Greece still stands.
    The point is that you can keep the railway nationalized though. I don't know if if it's for better or for worse but it can actually happen.
    It's only nationalised in that the private owner operating the system has 100pc state ownership either no shares ever sold.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's only nationalised in that the private owner operating the system has 100pc state ownership either no shares ever sold.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    To be honest I don't fully understand what this means so if you could please explain it in a more simple way I'd be more than happy to either agree or disagree with you.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    To be honest I don't fully understand what this means so if you could please explain it in a more simple way I'd be more than happy to either agree or disagree with you.
    The exact same thing that was done with East Coast. The railways aren't directly operated by the state, a subsidiary is created that is owned entirely by the state that operates it.

ReputationRep:
    It means (I think) that a private company owns the railway. But the government owns the private company hence getting around the regulation.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.