The Student Room Group

Extended Projext-EPQ-Worth it?

Scroll to see replies

He/she is right - although it's the second hardest A-Level after Physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LDS16
Has anyone done the EPQ recently? I've tried to find out about it but only got vague information. Can you choose to research anything? Also, would this help to get into universities such as Oxbridge, to study medicine? Any experience would be great!

Massively recommend it, both for your intrinsic intellectual development and it is highly valued by universities. I achieved a first this year partly because of it (history student at Warwick)
Original post by sleepinglions
I did the EPQ, and found it to be a great experience. You have the chance to research absolutely anything, I chose behavioural economics, which was a topic related to the degree I was applying for at the time, which gave me something extra to talk about on my personal statement, which isn't covered on the A level specification. If i had an interview, it would have also given me something to talk about as I had conducted extensive research and was super interested in my topic. So if you do decide to do the EPQ, make sure it's within a field you're genuinely interested in, and don't mind reading articles, watching TED talks etc.

It also really helped with my transition to university as I developed essential essay writing skills, which quite a few people didn't have, such as referencing. The only disadvantage I can think of was maybe presenting, as I'm kinda shy, but even then it really helped me, as I've had to present quite a few times at university. So if you have the time, I'd totally go for it.

I got an A* on mine and would be happy to help further if I can, so feel free to message me at any point :h:

Do you mind if I message you at some point for advice? I'm starting mine this year and I am determined to get an A* :h:
Original post by TheNerdxP
Do you mind if I message you at some point for advice? I'm starting mine this year and I am determined to get an A* :h:

Feel free! Hopefully I can be of some help to you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest