Community Assistant
    (Original post by LDS16)
    Haha, I've been on holiday for nearly a month
    Spoiler:
    Show
    :shakecane: GCSE holiday is way too long imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platopus)
    Yes, for Oxbrudge whether you do an EPQ or not you must read around your subjects. I suppose since medicine is particularly competitive, it may be worth doing an EPQ. I guess my point was that, if you're a poor candidate, doing an EPQ won't put you ahead of a good candidate who has not done one, provided you have both done the same amount of wider reading.
    I see, thank you! I think an EPQ could help further reading, for example if I stumble on something not really related to the EPQ but related to medicine I could research it more

(Original post by LDS16)
    I see, thank you! I think an EPQ could help further reading, for example if I stumble on something not really related to the EPQ but related to medicine I could research it more
    That's probably true. I'd say, start one if you feel up for it. But remember, if you do end up not actually completing one it won't be the end of the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    :shakecane: GCSE holiday is way too long imo
    Tbh I agree I can feel my brain cells rapidly deplenishing

ReputationRep:
    How do you apply to do an EPQ? Or do you just start, i'm very confused?

ReputationRep:
    That's probably true. I'd say, start one if you feel up for it. But remember, if you do end up not actually completing one it won't be the end of the world.
    Okay, ideally I'd like to finish it of course as I hate leaving things unfinished. I'll leave it until results day, and phone up if I get the grades and still want to do it
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by LDS16)
    Tbh I agree I can feel my brain cells rapidly deplenishing
    :toofunny:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    :teehee: same
    I can fizics anymore :eek: (and the hw is due tomorrow )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glib)
    How do you apply to do an EPQ? Or do you just start, i'm very confused?
    I think you talk to a teacher at college, ideally your tutor/mentor? They'd probably direct you to the right person who'd be able to give you info on starting it? I'm not completely sure

(Original post by LDS16)
    Okay, ideally I'd like to finish it of course as I hate leaving things unfinished. I'll leave it until results day, and phone up if I get the grades and still want to do it
    Good luck with results day, the EPQ, medicine and Oxbridge!

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I am sooo glad I'm not doing physics 95.8328% of it bores me so much the only things I find quite interesting are related to chemistry

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Also isn't great when the Chemistry teacher tells you on the intro day "this is the hardest A level"? :mmm: :mob:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepinglions)
    I did the EPQ, and found it to be a great experience. You have the chance to research absolutely anything, I chose behavioural economics, which was a topic related to the degree I was applying for at the time, which gave me something extra to talk about on my personal statement, which isn't covered on the A level specification. If i had an interview, it would have also given me something to talk about as I had conducted extensive research and was super interested in my topic. So if you do decide to do the EPQ, make sure it's within a field you're genuinely interested in, and don't mind reading articles, watching TED talks etc.

It also really helped with my transition to university as I developed essential essay writing skills, which quite a few people didn't have, such as referencing. The only disadvantage I can think of was maybe presenting, as I'm kinda shy, but even then it really helped me, as I've had to present quite a few times at university. So if you have the time, I'd totally go for it.

I got an A* on mine and would be happy to help further if I can, so feel free to message me at any point
    How did you start the EPQ? (Like how did you apply)
    What examination board did you do it with?
    How long did it take?, could I do it over the summer holiday?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with results day, the EPQ, medicine and Oxbridge!
    Thank you very much, good luck in what you choose to do also!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glib)
    How did you start the EPQ? (Like how did you apply)
    What examination board did you do it with?
    How long did it take?, could I do it over the summer holiday?

Thanks
    My school gave us a presentation about the EPQ, and if you were interested you had to attend a few introductory classes, before being allocated a supervisor. I believe this was towards the end of Year 12.

I did mine with AQA.

I don't know anyone that completed it over the summer, mainly because you have a project log book and regularly meet with your supervisor. So, while you can undertake a large part of the research during the summer and plan it, I'd recommend not finishing it over the summer, as you won't have guidance from your supervisor.

I've attached a gantt chart I made, to give you a rough idea of my timescale ( See my post below )

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully the attachment works in this post!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: xlsx Gantt-Chart-EPQ-2.xlsx (12.8 KB, 62 views)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by LDS16)
    I am sooo glad I'm not doing physics 95.8328% of it bores me so much the only things I find quite interesting are related to chemistry
    Thats the thang tho
    I find the physics hard but interesting (i couldnt bear dropping it when I found out we were doing electromagnetics, astrophisics and nuclear physics :fan:)
    chemistry is just
    w
    o
    w
    dude

(Original post by LDS16)
    Also isn't great when the Chemistry teacher tells you on the intro day "this is the hardest A level"? :mmm: :mob:
    :rofl: they said that :rofl:
    they should be fired :fuhrer:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    its not that bad mate :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDS16)
    He/she is right - although it's the second hardest A-Level after Physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by LDS16)
    Has anyone done the EPQ recently? I've tried to find out about it but only got vague information. Can you choose to research anything? Also, would this help to get into universities such as Oxbridge, to study medicine? Any experience would be great!
    Massively recommend it, both for your intrinsic intellectual development and it is highly valued by universities. I achieved a first this year partly because of it (history student at Warwick)

ReputationRep:
    Thats the thang tho
    I find the physics hard but interesting (i couldnt bear dropping it when I found out we were doing electromagnetics, astrophisics and nuclear physics :fan:)
    chemistry is just
    w
    o
    w
    dude

:rofl: they said that :rofl:
    they should be fired :fuhrer:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    its not that bad mate :teehee:
    Some parts of physics such as quarks, radioactivity and quantum stuff seems interesting, but it also seems very high level so I'd rather just read about it in my spare time

Well I'm interested in chemistry so even if it's difficult I'll hopefully get through it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nomophobia)
    He/she is right - although it's the second hardest A-Level after Physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yay! as long as it isn't too hard, I guess I like a challenge haha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.