Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Young people DID vote in EUref after all... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    It's an even greater shame, because even MORE young people didn't want this awful result than previously thought
    But still many not bothered enough one way or the other to register and vote.

I guess it was too big an ask to drag themselves away from their X-Station Playboxes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    It wasn't a 36% turnout as previously thought!

From a new study by Opinium and LSE:

"The results found that 64% of those young people (18 to 24) who were registered did vote, rising to 65% among 25-to-39-year-olds and 66% among those aged between 40 and 54. It increased to 74% among the 55-to-64 age group and 90% for those aged 65 and over. It is thought that more than 70% of young voters chose to remain in the EU."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...-twice-as-high

Seems bizarre that polling organisations still can't do their job properly.
    You said it and still you missed it. It's based on who actually registered themselves. Since barely any young people registered, only 36% of the young elligible voters actually voted
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Manchester_123)
    You said it and still you missed it. It's based on who actually registered themselves. Since barely any young people registered, only 36% of the young elligible voters actually voted
    SkyData (the original source of the 36% claim) said it was 36% of turnout, not % of total age-group.

What % were registered to vote? (Edit to answer my own question... 70%, not too shabby)

ReputationRep:
    Even if these figures are accurate, fewer young people, who this result will affect the most, turned out to vote than any other age group. So if young people want somebody to blame, it should be their own demographic, not old people who had the highest turnout. At the end of the day, the result is what it is, demographics and voting statistics don't matter one jot.

ReputationRep:
    64% of those registered to vote. That's the key. It's like saying if only 100 young people register to vote and all 100 vote, you have a 100% turnout among registered voters. But that mean much when it comes to the actual general population though.

ReputationRep:
    There's actually more young people (under 34) than old people (over 65).

Young people is classed as 18-24 no? 25-34 isn't really considered the "young vote" is it?

The fact is lots of young people didn't vote or didn't bother to register to, and then moan at the result. My brother for example, who registered during the extended period, then went to the wrong polling station on the day because he rushed his application and didn't know where to go. He had been on the fence during the entire campaign and then didn't vote on the day, but low and behold, by the morning on the Friday of the result, he had already shared 5 posts about how we were ****ed, how old people screwed us over, how the leave campaign had fooled us, and to sign the petition for a new referendum. It's embarrassing. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if a large number of the young who were protesting a few days ago didn't vote or aren't registered

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    I'm not too bothered. The old people will be wiped off the face of this earth soon enough, and we'll find a way to make this work.
    Your parents and grandparents, assuming any of the 6 of them still have the misfortune to share your planet will be proud of you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viffer)
    Your parents and grandparents, assuming any of the 6 of them still have the misfortune to share your planet will be proud of you.
    Seconded

Disgusting comment

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by TheTechN1304)
    64% of those registered to vote. That's the key. It's like saying if only 100 young people register to vote and all 100 vote, you have a 100% turnout among registered voters. But that mean much when it comes to the actual general population though.
    According to this, in 2015 70% of 18-24s were registered to vote. I imagine it would be at least that for the 2016 EUref given the big recruitment push in the run-up.

So we can compare with a total registration rate of approx 90%. Yes fewer 18-24s register but not THAT much fewer.

ReputationRep:
    SkyData (the original source of the 36% claim) said it was 36% of turnout, not % of total age-group.

What % were registered to vote? (Edit to answer my own question... 70%, not too shabby)
    I must add, considering every poll but a handful said we would vote to stay (at least 950/1000), you can't trust a poll (and that's all this was, minute sample of the 33 million) and treat it with any guaruntee. The last 5 years have proven polls are a joke
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Manchester_123)
    I must add, considering every poll but a handful said we would vote to stay (at least 950/1000), you can't trust a poll (and that's all this was, minute sample of the 33 million) and treat it with any guaruntee. The last 5 years have proven polls are a joke
    The polls were nearly always within the margin of error (+/- 2% for a 2,000 person poll). In a very close contest they would always struggle.

Unless of course you don't agree with statistical sciences. But in that case you have a bigger problem...

ReputationRep:
    You're never going to find how many young people actually voted because quite a few people don't do the extra surveys and stuff... they're only drawing results from the people that voted in the survey..
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Jackieox)
    You're never going to find how many young people actually voted because quite a few people don't do the extra surveys and stuff... they're only drawing results from the people that voted in the survey..
    All polling organisations adjust for things like that to normalise the dataset. You'd hope...

ReputationRep:

Did either Sky or LSE control for double registrations?

I assume, without evidence, that more younger people are double registered than older people.

I am not a younger person, but I had a 50% turnout, in that I am on two electoral rolls and voted once.

ReputationRep:
    Who let a 100+ year old woman vote?

Think it's quite sad that us young people are having to live with the consequences of the older generation's majority vote.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Did either Sky or LSE control for double registrations?

I assume, without evidence, that more younger people are double registered than older people.

I am not a younger person, but I had a 50% turnout, in that I am on two electoral rolls and voted once.
    Dunno. I imagine so... it's a common thing (but surprised me when I first heard about it. Vote early... vote often... was a thing from my homeland.)

ReputationRep:
    Vote early... vote often... was a thing from my homeland.)
    The opinions of the dead have always stood for a great deal in Ireland. Why then, shouldn't they have a vote.

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't a 36% turnout as previously thought!

From a new study by Opinium and LSE:

"The results found that 64% of those young people (18 to 24) who were registered did vote, rising to 65% among 25-to-39-year-olds and 66% among those aged between 40 and 54. It increased to 74% among the 55-to-64 age group and 90% for those aged 65 and over. It is thought that more than 70% of young voters chose to remain in the EU."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...-twice-as-high

Seems bizarre that polling organisations still can't do their job properly.
    You misread the stats.
    "The results found that 64% of those young people (18 to 24) who were registered did vote..."
    How many young people were not registered? :rolleyes:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    You misread the stats.
    "The results found that 64% of those young people (18 to 24) who were registered did vote..."
    How many young people were not registered? :rolleyes:
    70% registered, at least. Keep up.

ReputationRep:
    So let's get this straight. 18-24 turnout was 36% of eligable voters and of those 75% voted remain. This means only 27% of 18-24s voted to remain.

When you factor in a large portion of those will have voted out of fear of change rather than actually knowing a damn thing about the EU I would bet we're down to single digits. I mean the highest EU related search term after the referendum was "what is the EU?". If you don't know what the EU is then it's a tragedy that you got to vote on it.

So please, no more whining about older people screwing over the young.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.