Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by ihatePE)
    Ive decided on history, geography and maths :hoppy: and you?
    Planning to take Chemistry, Maths, Further maths and Biology. I'm currently in Year 10 though so I have a year to go yet.

ReputationRep:
    smh you don't need to revise over summer. mocks don't matter either. you can get 12 A*s by beginning proper revision in February. Just do all your homework
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by RosaA)
    Hey! I'm in Year 10 as well! I would say, revise everything that you have already learnt and make sure that there aren't any gaps in your understanding - that's what I'm doing anyway. Also, when are your Year 11 mocks because you could begin preparing for them? Mine are in November so I will be preparing for them as well over the summer.
    I'm also in Year 10, currently going through a tough period academically but I can change that all around. Fortunately all of my GCSE exams are in Summer 2017 so I have some time left.

ReputationRep:
    Although I'm not usually one to succumb to hypocrisy, I don't think revising now would be a good idea as you don't want to risk burning out. Probarbly best to start preparing for exams 4/5 months before hand, which is by most people standard early, but no earlier I would say. Good luck for next year!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessicaharker51)
    Going into year 11 next year. For any one that has finished their GCSEs or is at the same as me, should I revise over summer? What sort of preparation should I be doing if any? Thanks
    DO NOT REVISE OVER THE SUMMER! You will just burn out and you need to enjoy your last few months of freedom before you start yr 11. But Yr 11 goes by VERY quickly- so make sure you work hard right from the beginning of the year. Ask your teachers for help, especially in subjects like maths where you really need to understand concepts to perform well in the exam.

DO LOADS OF PAST PAPERS! Past papers are a really good way to revise, the exam boards tend to repeat questions and it is a great way to practise exam technique, which ensures maximum marks. Get your teachers to mark the papers- especiallly in essay based subjects like english, RS and history where the marking can vary.

If you do AQA science, just read the specification and do some past papers. Reading the specification really helped me in my science exams but I do AQA (I am not sure if the other exam board have such detailed specifications.)

Also, seriously do not stress at all about the exams. I have just done my GCSE'S and in my opinion they are overrated- obviously they are very important but the build up to the exams is a lot more dramatic than the exams themselves. Make sure you are not stressed at all, just chill. Some of my friends got really really stressed, but I managed to stay completely chilled. Staying calm will also let you think clearly and retrieve important information prior to/in the exam.

Another tip is make sure all your coursework is completed in time and try to get a very high mark- I was very grateful for my coursework whilst doing my exams as it gives some room for error, and you can still achieve a good grade.

Whatever you do, do not end up winging the exam or cramming the night before/ in the morning before the exam. This is exactly what I did and I told myself I would start revision in february, then in easter... and before I knew it it was already may!

Best of luck, try to enjoy your last year of school even if the exams seem overwhelming!

ReputationRep:
    Don't stress yourself out too much - I didn't even start thinking about half of mine until May, but then again from January until then I just had to focus on my Art exam and coursework. It is never too late to revise, so if you think you're ****ed if you don't start revising by Easter, you couldn't be further from the truth. Just 20 minutes can boost your grade, so don't feel bad if you're not doing three hours. What will hurt you the most is putting a lot of unnecessary pressure on yourself. The calmer you are, the easier it is to focus. Going in to the exam feeling physically sick bc of all the pressure you feel isn't what you want to be doing. Learn the specification. Yes, you're going to get exams where you question whether they'd actually included the spec, but it's a good way to go about things. The only things that ever worked for me were flashcards and past papers, I would not have been able to do Biology without them. You have a lot of time - my grades in my Year 11 mocks were much worse than they should have been, but I like to think that my actual GCSEs will be a lot better.

ReputationRep:
    What time did you start revising for them? March? Also how much prep did you do for the y11 mocks? Thanks
    Around September, but I went a bit overboard with revision so you shouldn't start that early haha, you'll end up forgetting a lot of it so it would be better to start around Feb/March time. Initially just 10 minutes a day is good enough, it adds up and it'll make you feel like you're actually preparing so you panic less during exam time.

For the mocks I prepared quite a lot and treated them like real exams (we had them in halls so it did feel quite real). A lot of people don't take them very seriously but they usually end up panicking more around exam time, so better not to be one of those people!

ReputationRep:
    Don't revise over the summer, you'll burn out by the time your exams come.

ReputationRep:
    work very hard but also enjoy it to the max because after yr11 thats all about to change

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theBranicAc)
    This is so true I didn't take year 10 seriously and I messed around, to this day I still dont know what mr hyde and dr jekyll is about(english language). Now i have to revise literally everything in english, chemistry and biology in the summer because i didn't give f***ks about it.
    Im in the same boat ! How is your revision going btw?

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm year 10 now but ppl are saying ppl that just turned tear 10 is in year a 11 I don't get it

ReputationRep:
    Going into year 11 next year. For any one that has finished their GCSEs or is at the same as me, should I revise over summer? What sort of preparation should I be doing if any? Thanks
    . HI im now in year 10 but ppl are saying ppl that just turn year 10 is going straight in to year 11 I don't get what ppl are saying

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.