ReputationRep:
    Immergrernts.

ReputationRep:
    Life post university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    What about being realistic?
    I am a realistic person. Most of the things I want to achieve are possible, some just require more work and chance than others. And it's the disappointment of not being able to achieve something I know I am capable of/could happen that scares me.

-Being forced to have children against my will

-Staying in the UK

-Not being able to travel regularly

ReputationRep:
    I was hoping to maybe study overseas or at least explore the world someday but now i fear it'll be hard to do due to brexit
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    I am a realistic person. Most of the things I want to achieve are possible, some just require more work and chance than others. And it's the disappointment of not being able to achieve something I know I am capable of/could happen that scares me.
    I don't still get that completely. If you are not able to achieve something what is not a problem for you as a rule - as you are capable of achieving that -, are there certain reasons? laziness? procrastination? handicaps? another ohes?*

ReputationRep:
    I don't still get that completely. If you are not able to achieve something what is not a problem for you as a rule - as you are capable of achieving that -, are there certain reasons? laziness? procrastination? handicaps? another ohes?*
    Well let me put it this way. One of the things I want to achieve is playing my sport at international level. The dream is possible because I play my sport, am actually good at it, have been told I have a natural talent, train and dedicate my training above almost everything else. I also have access to great coaches and opportunities and have I guess been scouted at lower levels. At this moment in time, I'm doing all I can, am enjoying it and there is nothing I'm doing personally that puts me in doubt.

What puts me in doubt is out of my control, for example, injury, having taken up the sport relatively late, not being seen by the right people and as a consequence of taking it up late, not having played at junior levels/trained via the pathways that most players go through.

I am doing all that I can and think it will be achivable with luck (i.e right people, right matches etc), but like many things in life, I can't control everything. Basically, it's knowing something is possible, but "it just wasn't meant to be".

ReputationRep:
    I worry that there is life after death. And that instead of Heaven and Hell, it's an eternity in a timeless limbo. Nothing to do, like a ghost wandering through Earth, only able to look on rather than be seen yourself, as your kids grow old and die, and their kids grow old and die and their kids grow old and die too. I'm afraid that it'll be a never ending pattern which everyone is a part of, but seperately in a solitary environment, cut off from the living. After a while, everything just becomes a copy of a copy of a copy- would you really feel any emotional attachment to your great-great-great-great-great grandchild, or other relative?

I'm not saying I believe this will or does happen, or that I believe in any afterlife at all, because I don't. But the thought of something like this scares me deeply.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Well let me put it this way. One of the things I want to achieve is playing my sport at international level. The dream is possible because I play my sport, am actually good at it, have been told I have a natural talent, train and dedicate my training above almost everything else. I also have access to great coaches and opportunities and have I guess been scouted at lower levels. At this moment in time, I'm doing all I can, am enjoying it and there is nothing I'm doing personally that puts me in doubt.

What puts me in doubt is out of my control, for example, injury, having taken up the sport relatively late, not being seen by the right people and as a consequence of taking it up late, not having played at junior levels/trained via the pathways that most players go through.

I am doing all that I can and think it will be achivable with luck (i.e right people, right matches etc), but like many things in life, I can't control everything. Basically, it's knowing something is possible, but "it just wasn't meant to be".
    Okay, I got the picture now. In your case it is really completely different. Even if you do what you can do and over the edge of it, it is still a matter of luck to come so far in sports that you got even a profession in it or to earn even a little sum of money with it at least. And you named the factors above. And even if you got that, it depends on your own condition to keep this level for a long period of time. Critical Injuries are often responsible that athletes resign from professional sport, sooner than they wished or planned.

And yeah, it is a disappointment, all the more this kind of sports is your passion where you did everything that your dream comes true. *

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I got the picture now. In your case it is really completely different. Even if you do what you can do and over the edge of it, it is still a matter of luck to come so far in sports that you got even a profession in it or to earn even a little sum of money with it at least. And you named the factors above. And even if you got that, it depends on your own condition to keep this level for a long period of time. Critical Injuries are often responsible that athletes resign from professional sport, sooner than they wished or planned.

And yeah, it is a disappointment, all the more this kind of sports is your passion where you did everything that your dream comes true. *
    Exactly. Thankfully even injuries don't worry me that much because I started the sport late, so haven't developed overuse injuries and trained my body by spending my younger years doing a variety of sports. Plus I am a pretty hardy person anyway. But bad injuries can happen and there is a matter of how long you can keep playing at a certain level before your body stops being able to cope, even if it's just then that the opportunity opens up.

Out of curiosity, what did you think I was talking about before?

ReputationRep:
    Disease outbreaks.

I have a fear of being ill. The though of an epidemic sweeping the nation would scare the **** out of me.
    Probably stems to when I was young where I suffered terrible stomach issues.

ReputationRep:
    Hillary Clinton winning the presidential election scares the hell out of me.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (...) *Out of curiosity, what did you think I was talking about before?
    Something about your everyday life? say achieving a certain graduation with certain grades and that you are afraid of coming to an end, because you have weak nerves to withstand the pressure and the expectations of your own or something like that similarly.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    the 14th july
    Spoiler:
    Show
    :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    Unsuccessfulness and Loneliness.

im scared of failing in life

failing my gcses, a level , uni (if i am even able to go)

fear of ending up homeless

being murdered

falling

life is so dangerous and i dont really trust people anymore because i have been hurt too much...

ReputationRep:
    Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton are both stranded in open water. Who survives?

Spoiler:
    Show
    'Murica.
    :moon:

ReputationRep:
    - Not getting the career I want
    - Not being able to have children
    - Being alone

ReputationRep:
    I feel less stable with every passing day, more panic attacks

ReputationRep:
    Something about your everyday life? say achieving a certain graduation with certain grades and that you are afraid of coming to an end, because you have weak nerves to withstand the pressure and the expectations of your own or something like that similarly.
    Tbh, with the year I've had I've realised that there are far more important things than grades. Yes I will try my best to get the best I can but I have no expectations because I will destroy myself if I do.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Welcome to the official BBC Radio 1: The Surgery forum. This forum is a chance for you to ask your questions and join the discussion here, you may even get a chance to get involved live on air.

Listen to the show live here

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.