MAT Prep Thread - 2nd November 2016

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

(Original post by physicsmaths)
    Oh if u havent done bmo stuff yet then IMO stuff is a very long shot sorry for suggesting that. I just assume everyone is on the IMO hype like me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I only know two doing IMO on here.

Send me questions but not from the IMO if possible . I did some USAMO questions which where really nice, but that's probably not as hard as IMO.

Oh if u havent done bmo stuff yet then IMO stuff is a very long shot sorry for suggesting that. I just assume everyone is on the IMO hype like me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have a look at this https://www.artofproblemsolving.com/...ems/Problem_25

An absolute beauty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marxist)
    Have a look at this https://www.artofproblemsolving.com/...ems/Problem_25

An absolute beauty.
    Ah, Ford circles.
    I now refer you to BMO2 2016 Q1 and STEP I 2016 Q5. Where this configuration has come up albeit in an easier fashion in step naturally but a slightly harder problem in BMO2 Q1 .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, Ford circles.
    I now refer you to BMO2 2016 Q1 and STEP I 2016 Q5. Where this configuration has come up albeit in an easier fashion in step naturally but a slightly harder problem in BMO2 Q1 .

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Terrific, thanks for the questions.

ReputationRep:
    Awesome, this thread is up already!

Any CompSci people here or all you all Mathematicians?

ReputationRep:
    hi guys, trying to get lots of MAT prep done in the next month before going back to school. I'm Irish and we have a completely different syllabus so I've spent the last week or two learning C1&C2. Seeing as people here recommend doing C3&C4, I figured I should go through that aswell but I don't want to buy more textbooks. Could anyone recommend any websites I could find comprehensive C3&C4 notes? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    https://99b2311495143d2e309e0facff5d...C3%20Notes.pdf

https://0d882a39fbb60469992fb8db6099...C4%20Notes.pdf

hopefully these could help

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Damn olympiaders

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krollo)
    Damn olympiaders

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Shut ur mouth yeh. Atleast ur going university unlike me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    these are so incredible, thank you so much.
    Could I chance my arm and ask if you'd have them for C1 & C2 aswell?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QueenOfCaffeine)
    these are so incredible, thank you so much.
    Could I chance my arm and ask if you'd have them for C1 & C2 aswell?
    C1

C2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Euclidean)
    C1

C2
    Thanks so much!

ReputationRep:
    I know this is for MAT Prep but since we all have to do Personal Statements as well: at a talk at one of the colleges at the Oxford open day, the maths tutor said to avoid mentioning the book The Music Of The Primes at all costs in your Personal Statement. Apparently everyone writes about it and it gives you an edge to mention something different Just in case this helps anyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QueenOfCaffeine)
    I know this is for MAT Prep but since we all have to do Personal Statements as well: at a talk at one of the colleges at the Oxford open day, the maths tutor said to avoid mentioning the book The Music Of The Primes at all costs in your Personal Statement. Apparently everyone writes about it and it gives you an edge to mention something different Just in case this helps anyone
    A bit of unsolicited advice: (Hope it helps you out)
    Spoiler:
    Show

In my experience (and this is certainly what I did!), I'd say you should write about parts of books which really got your interest when you read them. I was never asked about the book I read (A Brief History of Numbers by Leo Corry), and I only wrote about parts of that book.

That's not to say that you won't be, they may ask if they think it would generate interesting conversation, and friends of mine were asked about their favourite parts of books they had named on their PS.

I'd say read some stuff you're interested in rather than going for anything because it's a popular read for sure, I know I was tempted to do the later when I was thinking about my application

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got a solution for 2006 Q7? I can't seem to find a solution anywhere on Earth...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightbulbmoment_)
    Awesome, this thread is up already!

Any CompSci people here or all you all Mathematicians?
    I would like to apply for maths and computer science What subject are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedals)
    What subject are you applying for?
    I'm applying for straight Computer Science! How are you finding the standard of the past papers?

ReputationRep:
    This and this look very helpful. Maybe added to the OP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightbulbmoment_)
    Anyone got a solution for 2006 Q7? I can't seem to find a solution anywhere on Earth...
    Post yours and someone can verify it for you if you wish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    This and this look very helpful. Maybe added to the OP?
    Definitely good resources, used them a lot last year. That site is a goldmine

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.