Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If there is a lower age limit on voting, why isn't there an upper age limit too? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Because there isn't an upper limit to mental development, i.e. All people above a certain age will have developed a certain level of intellect required to manage more complex affairs, whereas below a certain age many people will not have.

Although I do agree that certain things such as dementia should exclude people from voting, but this simply correlates with age (I wouldn't stop them from voting simply because they were old).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gora The Xplorer)
    Catastrophic events:

The Holocaust
    Syrian civil war
    2004 Indian Ocean tsunami

Not a catastrophic event:

Brexit

Man up.
    Me saying that the Brexit is a serious matter isn't the same as me saying the Brexit is comparable to the Holocaust. Don't waste my time with such useless posts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    Me saying that the Brexit is a serious matter isn't the same as me saying the Brexit is comparable to the Holocaust. Don't waste my time with such useless posts.
    then shut up and accept the result of the vote

ReputationRep:
    then shut up and accept the result of the vote
    Freedom of speech is a thing.

ReputationRep:
    Freedom of speech is a thing.
    not in this country

ReputationRep:
    I second this. It's not about your GCSE's or whatever bull liberals think makes their opinion valuable, it's about franchise and experience, something older people have in spades over young people.
    Can't you be a liberal old person?

ReputationRep:
    Can't you be a liberal old person?
    In the absolute sense yes, but the remain voters have presented the narrative of young, liberal well-educated remain voters against old, conservative, poorly educated older voters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    By that logic there ought to be an IQ threshold too (perhaps you believe in that, Idk). Yes, experience is important. I am sure lots of 90 year olds are capable of rational thought anyway. My granddad who died last year would have been 89/90 this year I believe - incidentally he fought in World War II - and up to the end he certainly was. But I guess people like that don't deserve a vote lol. Experience counts for more than you think it does. The fact of the matter is to come to a fully rational decision on something this complex would probably take the perfect brain, the perfect information, and years of analysis. Not every decision we make can be justified by a logically sound airtight argument. But at least people of this age have been through years of the EU and seen its evolution and its effects.
    This is true. As much as I'd like an IQ threshold, that would be wholly undemocratic, as would be to stop 90 year olds from being able to vote.

Btw, if your grandfather was 88 last year, how could he have fought in WWII? WWII ended in 1945, and your grandfather would have turned 18 in 1946.

ReputationRep:
    That's like asking: why isn't there an upper age limit on everything that does have a lower age limit?

ReputationRep:
    This is true. As much as I'd like an IQ threshold, that would be wholly undemocratic, as would be to stop 90 year olds from being able to vote.

Btw, if your grandfather was 88 last year, how could he have fought in WWII? WWII ended in 1945, and your grandfather would have turned 18 in 1946.
    I believe he fought in 1945 at 17, lying about his age.

ReputationRep:
    not in this country
    do you not like democracy very much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    I believe he fought in 1945 at 17, lying about his age.
    Cool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    My 99 year old grandma is quite capable of making rational and informed decisions.
    Really? At 99, I'd barely remember what I had for breakfast.

ReputationRep:
    What have young people done?

Never had a job, school and healthcare paid for by other people. Um.Uh. Damn.
    1. Getting a job would be easier if this country's economy wasn't such a wreck and employers could pay a decent salary/not get done for corruption first

2. School is free and yet university is now a £40,000+ burden on those who can't pay for it privately, and they've also turned the maintenance loans to grants. I can assure you my parents didn't have to deal with fear anywhere near that high when they went to uni here.

3. Yes, healthcare is paid for by trainee doctors/nurses who are barely paid and actual NHS workers who have had their working hours lengthened and pay reduced.

So while I definitely won't pretend like our generation is perfect and doesn't have it's own pathetic amount of problems, I'm not gonna pretend like we weren't shaped by a pretty incompetent/greedy older generation.

ReputationRep:
    do you not like democracy very much?
    It's a fact, freedom of speech is a specific right which is enshrined in the American constitution, but it does not exist here.

ReputationRep:
    What have young people done?

Never had a job, school and healthcare paid for by other people. Um.Uh. Damn.
    are you not a young person yourself? why do you hate our generation so much? we're the future. we have to live through this.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't call the State Pension I get, greedy.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't we have an income limit on voting? After all, we used to. Do you think the average shelf stacker on 14k/year is as able to process information as a computer scientist on 100k?

ReputationRep:
    are you not a young person yourself? why do you hate our generation so much? we're the future. we have to live through this.
    Have you considered that you might just be wrong about the EU being good for your future? I really doubt the average grandmother sat in the voting booth thinking, "This is really gonna screw my family, but I don't care because I'll be dead soon. Muahahaha!". More likely she thought that leaving would benefit her grandchildren. She might be wrong about that but the young might also be wrong about their beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    My grandma is 91 and she can process information. My great aunt is 94 and she can process information. As can many of their friends who are still alive and are roughly of that *age. I would argue that their perspective is better than a seventeen year old.

Your argument is irrelevant.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.