Corbyn vs Eagle watch

• View Poll Results: Corbyn or Eagle?
    Corbyn
    77.14%
    Eagle
    22.86%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben.anderson)
    In all fairness and I know most young people will deny this, tuition fees are a good thing. Stops people from taking advantage of tax payers money just to have a good time.

And come on I think its fair. If I was to start a business and take out a loan and didn't earn over £21,000 per year - they wouldn't let you off! Young people need to start living on planet earth and things do cost money.

I don't like Eagle, however a Corbyn labour will never win an election. He's got a big following, however general voters are running away fast. I don't blame them, I wouldn't want that nutter running a local bakery, tell me about the country!
    As jibs go, I'm really liking the cut of yours sir

ReputationRep:
    She's no leader as her delay and whining and criticism of Corbyn proves. Should she win I image it's just a staging post to David Miliband's return.

ReputationRep:
    Cancer or cholera?

Either leaves Labour unelectable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Awakener)
    Who do you prefer?

Eagle, Voted labour all my life and will not vote for labour at next general election if Jeremy Corbyn is leader, Cameron has thrashed him at pretty much every PMQ's and May will do the same he is far too left wing economically and is far too old. Pretty much everyone i know despises Corbyn. His current approval rating is -27 and Eagle is +9 with public opinion. Just do a yougov search and it suggests Eagle is closer to the general public than Corbyn. In 2015 I voted for Burnham and cancelled my subscription after Corbyn won, disaster if there was a general election tomorrow he would only win the london seats

ReputationRep:
    I'm not particularly a fan of either - they're both just too unelectable.

It's probably unrealistic, but a strong leader who is actually able to run the country, has set ambition and can actually help the country grow and move on in the disaster leaving the EU has left us in.

It'd also be nice to have someone who is likeable, who has a bit of character and a story. But a lot of politicians these days are all the same, and need to have a taste of the real world.

I can't say I know a great deal about politics but there's no way Labour can stand properly as a party with either of these candidates. Just my view, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Corbyn is the leader for today. He won't be forever and in time a natural replacement will arise. Angela Eagle is not that replacement.
    (Original post by george_c00per)
    Absolutely 100% Corbyn. I joined the Labour Party after it had gotten rid of its New Labour stance, something I did not like, and if they bring it back through Eagle I will not be very happy

It is scary you folks can vote. The man is a buffoon and nothing else. He has led his party into the ground. The main role Labour have is to be the opposition - to be the voice that challenges the Tories when they mess up but instead they are stuck fighting and arguing about problems from the 80's. Not having an effective opposition is frankly dangerous and is one of the causes of the NHS striking. If Corbyn does not go then expect the Tories to do more in which they have no mandate to do so.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Corbyn has been approved to stand by the NEC without nomination.

Jeremy Corbyn wins vote on Labour leadership rules - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36778135

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Neither, they're both terrible.

ReputationRep:
    Corbyn is a bit too far to the left but Angela is an absolute weakling with next to no spine. Seeing her crocodile tears after she announced she would not be backing Jeremy almost drove me to puking. Plus to those who say Corbyn is anti-semitic...how?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Corbyn has been approved to stand by the NEC without nomination.

Jeremy Corbyn wins vote on Labour leadership rules - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36778135

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Awful News they will just reinstate Corbyn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    It is scary you folks can vote. The man is a buffoon and nothing else. He has led his party into the ground. The main role Labour have is to be the opposition - to be the voice that challenges the Tories when they mess up but instead they are stuck fighting and arguing about problems from the 80's. Not having an effective opposition is frankly dangerous and is one of the causes of the NHS striking. If Corbyn does not go then expect the Tories to do more in which they have no mandate to do so.
    When Labour Membership has been growing constantly since he has gotten into power I wouldn't necessarily say he has led the party into the ground

ReputationRep:
    Didn't take the Corbynistas long to show their true colours.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...yside-36773355

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KomradeKorbyn)
    IS have to be stopped, but airstrikes does not achieve this. Airstrikes result in the opposite - when you are one of the many Syrians already vulnerable to radicalisation, and your country is now being bombed by some foreign power with far more advanced weaponry than anything you could dream of, killing people you know - good people, you are going to be more likely to see where IS are coming from, and buy into the idea of the "western devils" who are "destroying our country".

Airstrikes simply worsen the situation of the Syrian people, further contributing to the environment in which people see the west as evil, exactly what IS want. Airstrikes play right into their hand.
    Without air strikes, ISIS would have continued to expand - they would have massacred thousands on mount Sinjar, taken Kobane and other Syrian cities, and would still be threatening Baghdad, and thousands more innocent people would have been murdered by ISIS. On the contrary, air strikes are absolutely vital if we are to defeat ISIS - they cannot be negotiated with they need to be driven out by local ground forces, and for that to happen there needs to be air strikes.

I'd love to know where this "air strikes do not achieve this" thing is coming from, given that coalition air strikes have been vital in helping the Iraqi army, Iraqi Kurds and Syrian Kurds drive ISIS out of key territory in Iraq and Syria. Those defeats (and there are many of them) simply would not have happened if people like you got their way and no one was bombing ISIS. Any approach to defeat ISIS which does not include a military component is doomed to fail.

And do you really think a few people joining ISIS because of air strikes is going to tip the military balance in ISIS' favour when they are being bombed by several countries with advanced air forces and ISIS are losing ground on most fronts?

To get back on topic, this is one of the things I compleely disagree with Corbyn on, but I prefer him to Eagle.

ReputationRep:
    I find Angela Eagle deeply unpleasant, but I don't trust Jeremy Corbyn to win elections. Still, Corbyn over Eagle any day.

ReputationRep:
    It's all a riveting soap-opera and this means it will drag on for a good deal of time, keeping the labourites busy tearing chunks out of each other. However, it also means Corbyn is still a shining beacon to the loonie left and there is nothing to be gained from letting it snowball beyond reason. A party split still looks unthinkable but should it happen and they can all go back to playing with themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Voting for the invasion (many fell under Tony Blair's spell) is not as troubling as voting against an investigation in my view.
    Same.

It probably puts at odds with my fellow left wingers but the voting for the irag invasion doesn't put me off.

Also MPs have whips telling them how to vote.
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Why is their no 'neither' option in the poll?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by george_c00per)
    When Labour Membership has been growing constantly since he has gotten into power I wouldn't necessarily say he has led the party into the ground
    The size of the membership is meaningless, do you seriously believe that the wider electorate will choose Corbyn? He is not right wing enough economically or socially. He did not back bombing ISIS to hinder there Growth and destroy a lot of there resources He wants to take as many refugees as possible ( Including ISIS members who ran with the Genuine) He met with the IRA for christ sake. If they call a flash election he will struggle to get 5 million votes)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GrangeRange)
    The size of the membership is meaningless, do you seriously believe that the wider electorate will choose Corbyn? He is not right wing enough economically or socially. He did not back bombing ISIS to hinder there Growth and destroy a lot of there resources He wants to take as many refugees as possible ( Including ISIS members who ran with the Genuine) He met with the IRA for christ sake. If they call a flash election he will struggle to get 5 million votes)

This country is one of the most socially liberal countries in the world. Out conservative party just legalised gay marriage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GrangeRange)
    The size of the membership isn't meaningless whatsoever. More Labour Party Members = more people who will campaign for a Labour success in 2020, which will divert more attention to the party locally = more votes for Labour. It also shows a rise in popularity and hints a win in the next general election, it happened in the early 1990s before Labour came into power and this pattern is showing to repeat itself now.

I'm glad he didn't back bombing ISIS as many Labour supporters + me included thought that it was a bad and ineffective way of eliminating a terrorist organisation, as well as it being a massive waste of money. This won't stop him becoming PM - there are more people who agree with what he stood for than you think. Also, backing bombing Syria will displace more people which will mean there will be more refugees.

On the topic of refugees, he has never said that he wants to take in more ISIS members disguised as refugees at all. That's just you making assumptions of the refugees coming into this country.

OK, I don't know about you but I don't think there are 4 million Labour supporters who voted Labour last year and won't vote for it now. He won the Labour leadership election by a landslide, and he is incredibly popular with the Labour public.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.