Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you ever question the point of life? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't really think I do, I just enjoy it as much as I can.. until it lasts.

ReputationRep:
    Sort of, but I don't think there is any grand, overarching meaning to our existence, and I'm fairly sure of this, hence there isn't much internal debate to be had. Really, I suppose we are all hedonists, but some set their sights on more long-term pleasures, others prefer to chase an easy rush. The only intrinsic value of life comes in those moments when we feel truly joyful/content/fulfilled. And this is just the consequence of interactions in the brain. But does this fact detract from the beauty of it all? Does the reality, the futility, the randomness, the meaninglessness, in any way undermine the sensations and emotions that are the pinnacles of our lives? I am inclined to say no.

I think the best way to maximise these pleasures is to work to calm your anger, your hatred, and, perhaps most of all, your greed. Perhaps chasing a large salary, or a shiny car, or simply a high-status position, just works for some people. But there is much to be said for the smaller things in life, and recognising what you have, and how infinitely lucky you are to have this experience of a human life. To be a witness to a world of such riches and such beauty, to have all the senses to experience them, all the words to describe them, all the intelligence to understand them. To be so acutely conscious, and in possession of such an incredible vessel of such breathtaking complexity. To love and be loved, to laugh, to cry. We all get so caught up in the ego...we all think of ourselves as protagonists, starkly cut from the rest of the universe; a unique, special, separate being. There is so much fear, self-recrimination, doubts about the future, so much clinging on to the notion of a self, as life quietly slips by. But we are all just another particular conglomeration of atoms, and we are all very much connected, and perhaps if we could realise this on an intrinsic level we could truly live life to the fullest.

Then again, I think that's what Buddhist monks do, and they don't look to be having much fun.

ReputationRep:
    I used to ponder this a lot. A couple of years ago I ended up getting my answer in a hallucination. It'll sound like I was on drugs at the time but I've never touched those things, this hallucination was brought about solely from high levels of emotional stress.

Anyways, I remember asking what the meaning of life was right before it started. Then I felt like I was flying and I could see everything just zooming outwards. It zoomed out until it was just me in outer space, with all these galaxies drifting past. Then I heard a voice saying "there isn't one. Life has no meaning, it's pointless. All of these galaxies will continue spinning regardless of whether life exists or not." At which point it then zoomed in to the point where I was among tonnes of molecules and it resumed saying, "All of these atoms and molecules will continue to react even if life were to suddenly disappear. If you want a purpose you need to make one." Then it ended. It was kinda scary but at the same time I felt euphoria, it was really weird. The weirdest part was that it felt like a minute had gone by but it was only a couple of seconds when I checked my watch afterwards. I thought I'd passed out or something.

Believe it or not, it's apparently pretty bog standard as far as hallucinations go. Thankfully I haven't had anything like that since, it was terrifying as well as wonderful. If you think this one's weird you should listen to this guy talk about his: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T_XimPe4xU

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Sort of, but I don't think there is any grand, overarching meaning to our existence, and I'm fairly sure of this, hence there isn't much internal debate to be had. Really, I suppose we are all hedonists, but some set their sights on more long-term pleasures, others prefer to chase an easy rush. The only intrinsic value of life comes in those moments when we feel truly joyful/content/fulfilled. And this is just the consequence of interactions in the brain. But does this fact detract from the beauty of it all? Does the reality, the futility, the randomness, the meaninglessness, in any way undermine the sensations and emotions that are the pinnacles of our lives? I am inclined to say no.

I think the best way to maximise these pleasures is to work to calm your anger, your hatred, and, perhaps most of all, your greed. Perhaps chasing a large salary, or a shiny car, or simply a high-status position, just works for some people. But there is much to be said for the smaller things in life, and recognising what you have, and how infinitely lucky you are to have this experience of a human life. To be a witness to a world of such riches and such beauty, to have all the senses to experience them, all the words to describe them, all the intelligence to understand them. To be so acutely conscious, and in possession of such an incredible vessel of such breathtaking complexity. To love and be loved, to laugh, to cry. We all get so caught up in the ego...we all think of ourselves as protagonists, starkly cut from the rest of the universe; a unique, special, separate being. There is so much fear, self-recrimination, doubts about the future, so much clinging on to the notion of a self, as life quietly slips by. But we are all just another particular conglomeration of atoms, and we are all very much connected, and perhaps if we could realise this on an intrinsic level we could truly live life to the fullest.

Then again, I think that's what Buddhist monks do, and they don't look to be having much fun.
    That's exactly what they do. You know, you've basically just described what it is to achieve awakening. The abandonment of the "self" and being able to see and enjoy life for what it really is.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    watch this, all of it http://youtu.be/1KfgzDXe9ZY (the title sounds abit mad but watch it)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Are you an Atheist?
    yes I am

ReputationRep:
    Existence is futile.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    I used to ponder this a lot. A couple of years ago I ended up getting my answer in a hallucination. It'll sound like I was on drugs at the time but I've never touched those things, this hallucination was brought about solely from high levels of emotional stress.

Anyways, I remember asking what the meaning of life was right before it started. Then I felt like I was flying and I could see everything just zooming outwards. It zoomed out until it was just me in outer space, with all these galaxies drifting past. Then I heard a voice saying "there isn't one. Life has no meaning, it's pointless. All of these galaxies will continue spinning regardless of whether life exists or not." At which point it then zoomed in to the point where I was among tonnes of molecules and it resumed saying, "All of these atoms and molecules will continue to react even if life were to suddenly disappear. If you want a purpose you need to make one." Then it ended. It was kinda scary but at the same time I felt euphoria, it was really weird. The weirdest part was that it felt like a minute had gone by but it was only a couple of seconds when I checked my watch afterwards. I thought I'd passed out or something.

Believe it or not, it's apparently pretty bog standard as far as hallucinations go. Thankfully I haven't had anything like that since, it was terrifying as well as wonderful. If you think this one's weird you should listen to this guy talk about his: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T_XimPe4xU
    yeah I kind of agree with that if all human life on earth was to die the planet would keep functioning and all nature and animals would carry on and the universe would carry on as usual

ReputationRep:
    I kind of think about death a lot as I know I will be dead forever and ever I think about how I will spend my own short life. Hopefully I am gonna travel the world and have a lot of new experiences in the future before I pop my cloggs.

ReputationRep:
    I used to think like this and occasionally still do. However, I gave myself purpose. I know there will be a time when I'm dead. But that doesn't mean I have to be forgotten. That's why I want to give other people purpose in their own lives. Happiness. I want to pursue a medical career, so I can give directions to people who have become lost. And that will be my purpose. That'll be how I'm remembered.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.