Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Corbyn is on the ballot the end of the Labour Party. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    There's now two very clear choices for Labour:

a) Ditch Corbyn and provide a realistic centre-left alternative to the Tories.

b) Keep him and become an umbrella organisation for protest groups with zero chance of ever winning power.
    What is the difference between Angela Eagle & Theresa May? Absolutely nothing! They are both right wing Neo-Liberals.

ReputationRep:
    Another factor to take into account IF the current Labour Party splits is the financial sponsorship some of relatively more moderate MPs receive from the Unions. Those MPs might (I stress might) be kicked into touch by the Unions if they are wedded to a significantly Lefter-leaning Corbyn-led party.

Could be fun to watch them in complete and utter chaos

ReputationRep:
    Further proof that those heavy on the political left love to moan rather than do.

Why go to all the effort of getting into power and cocking things up when you can just snipe from the sidelines?

ReputationRep:
    What a shambles, if you can't even run a political party not sure what hope there is of being given an entire country to play with

ReputationRep:
    I'm worried that Labour is quickly becoming a pressure group, confined to the opposition... I'll vote for Eagle, but I'm certain Corbyn will be re-elected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrainDrain)
    What a shambles, if you can't even run a political party not sure what hope there is of being given an entire country to play with
    unfortunate that most of the Lab MP's opposing Corbyn are nothing but career politicians. They don't want to take a risk! All they're probably worried about is if they are "electable" enough come the next general election

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why they would break off if Corbyn wins. They will not be a formidable opposition even with 100 MPs. If they split the labour vote, they have absolutely no chance of winning the next election so what is the benefit? They may as well stick with Corbyn, let him lose the next election and then try again in 2025. In the meantime, they can vote how they want and rebel against Corbyn whenever they want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1939)
    mind me asking who you voted for in September?
    I wasn't eligible, but since I am now- I'll be backing Corbyn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My preference order was Andy Burnham, Yvette Cooper, Jeremy Corbyn and then Liz Kendall. I was concerned about Corbyn's electability before he became leader, and I'm still concerned now. No polls are placing us ahead of the Tories, and that means the Conservatives are practically guaranteed power until 2025. I'd rather compromise on some policies, such as Trident, to get elected and actually implement the policies, than be trapped in opposition, which Corbyn's leadership makes more likely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1939)
    All they're probably worried about is if they are "electable" enough come the next general election
    Isn't that the purpose of them being MPs though, to be elected?

If Corbyn wins the leadership contest, it's almost certain the Labour Party will split and they'll all be doomed to spending the rest of their MP lives in opposition.

Only makes sense for them to get rid of their captain before he sails them into oblivion!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sternumator)
    I don't see why they would break off if Corbyn wins. They will not be a formidable opposition even with 100 MPs. If they split the labour vote, they have absolutely no chance of winning the next election so what is the benefit? They may as well stick with Corbyn, let him lose the next election and then try again in 2025. In the meantime, they can vote how they want and rebel against Corbyn whenever they want.
    I personally think after he loses 2020 he won't step down, the man isn't going anywhere from how I see it. He undermines the heart of our democracy, the people we elect to Parliament. Not just Westminster parliament but the Scottish & European Parliament.

It's all thanks to 200k far left extremists, but only now they consider implementing voting rules and time limits, had they done that last year the surge of new members and stuff wouldn't have happened and we'd have a candidate chosen by modern age Labour supporters that want to see the party move forward.

Anyway I'm quite happy with Theresa May, my only fear is a swing in UKIP seats from Labour but otherwise I'd say call an election next week for a guaranteed Tory landslide. The UKs interests should matter more than people's self interest at such crucial times

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1939)
    unfortunate that most of the Lab MP's opposing Corbyn are nothing but career politicians. They don't want to take a risk! All they're probably worried about is if they are "electable" enough come the next general election

Yes that's why many quit the FRONT BENCH - the pinnacle of a politicians career - to help their career.

If there's any career politicians It's Jeremy Corbyn he's been there since the 70s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    I don't think it will reach triple figures

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It will, the chances of those members in marginal seats being reflected under Corbyn is nowt.

ReputationRep:
    I'm no fan of Corbyn but I don't see Eagle as an upgrade at all. In fact her only selling points seem to be that a.) she's a woman and b.) she's not Corbyn*
    *There's no point in replacing one unelectable leader with another.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    I'm no fan of Corbyn but I don't see Eagle as an upgrade at all. In fact her only selling points seem to be that a.) she's a woman and b.) she's not Corbyn*
    Point b being the main one IMO. There's little chance of her winning a general election but I think she can at least save them from oblivion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    Point b being the main one IMO. There's little chance of her winning a general election but I think she can at least save them from oblivion.
    I think that she's a stalking horse and there's another candidate that the party will put forward to replace her. *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    the absolute priority has to be getting rid of the Conservatives
    If this is truly what you think then you ought to be the first to support the ousting of Corbyn.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabstercat)
    If you needed any further proof that Corbyn supporters are cult-like in their behaviour go to Angela Eagle's facebook page and look at her RIP post to Jo Cox. Hundreds of Corbyn supporters commenting #keepcorbyn and abusing Eagle. Absolutely disgusting and vile behaviour, incredibly similar to Bernie or Busters.
    Corbynites in a nutshell*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1939)
    unfortunate that most of the Lab MP's opposing Corbyn are nothing but career politicians.
    So exactly like Corbyn then?

By the way, having said all this, Corbyn should definitely be on the ballot. It seems bizarre to me that there was a chance he wouldn't be. He'll probably win, which is a pity since the Conservative's only opposition with him around is UKIP and even that's only because they elected May as leader.*

ReputationRep:
    I agree. I think this coup was started with a view that a more plausible person would be the front runner for leader. I don't see Eagle as a good candidate in a GE at all. But if it stems the influence of Momentum et al it might be a good thing overall. Unfortunately I can only see her election as exacerbating things if anything. What a cluster**** this whole thing is**

ReputationRep:
    I think that she's a stalking horse and there's another candidate that the party will put forward to replace her. *
    She's 'ard as nails.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.