Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you sight-read? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cascadess)
    Wondering how many of you can or can't sight read (can read and play sheet music you have never seen before to an alright standard), in what instrument, and how it came about?
    sight reading is the death of me when it comes to exams really, simple stuff i can do with like loads of quavers and stuff or simple themes in the right and left hand, i can play at an ok pace but when you start adding chords my speed decays exponentially

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raniafern)
    And that's why I say that exams are a terrible indicator of how talented/skilled you are. It's merely an indicator of how many times you practised and how well you can remember positions and stuff like that.

PS No offence to you though. Grade 5 is amazing Was it TCL or ABRSM? I did Grade 6 of Piano as well, now I learn freestyle
    Yeah I never said I was talented- I just have a good memory haha - I always got very low marks on the sight reading part. I did ABRSM but it was over a decade ago now! *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
    Yeah I never said I was talented- I just have a good memory haha - I always got very low marks on the sight reading part. I did ABRSM but it was over a decade ago now! *
    Oh my gosh! I didn't mean that! I'm so sorry... It's just that I know of a lot of people who have done Grade 8, yes GRADE freaking 8! And they can't play a single piece or song for the school, neither do they volunteer to represent the school, and it just proves my point. But, I didn't mean that you weren't talented.

Oh, and a decade ago? Wow... <3 Do you still play?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raniafern)
    Oh my gosh! I didn't mean that! I'm so sorry... It's just that I know of a lot of people who have done Grade 8, yes GRADE freaking 8! And they can't play a single piece or song for the school, neither do they volunteer to represent the school, and it just proves my point. But, I didn't mean that you weren't talented.

Oh, and a decade ago? Wow... <3 Do you still play?
    haha it's ok! I used to get the same "can anyone here play piano?!" my friends: "lavender can, go on play something" me: *runs away because I can't play anything* hah

I still play sometimes, I don't have a piano anymore - as soon as I have my own place I'll get one and get back into it. I actually learnt more pieces after I stopped lessons than I ever did when I was doing grades properly. *

ReputationRep:
    Its somthing Im working on! Find it hard to read ahead eeeeshhhh unless were in Cmaj 60bpm minims and crotchets no greater leaps than a 5th hahahaha lol

Psssst and stay in the ledger lines hahahaha

ReputationRep:
    I would say I can sight read well (at least I always did well on that section in the exams). Probably developed it just through playing for a long period and also maybe because I'm lazy (better sight reading ability = less time I have to spend practising)
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Wondering how many of you can or can't sight read (can read and play sheet music you have never seen before to an alright standard), in what instrument, and how it came about?
    I can memorise pretty much anything (piano and violin) but can't sightread for toffee

I'm a very useless excuse for a pianist :getmecoat:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I can sight read on guitar Hero

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
    haha it's ok! I used to get the same "can anyone here play piano?!" my friends: "lavender can, go on play something" me: *runs away because I can't play anything* hah

I still play sometimes, I don't have a piano anymore - as soon as I have my own place I'll get one and get back into it. I actually learnt more pieces after I stopped lessons than I ever did when I was doing grades properly. *
    Yup, I agree. I enjoy the piano much more now, than I did during my Grades. Now, I usually pick a song , find the sheet music on MuseScore or EveryonePiano, and play it till I'm pretty close to the actual tune. But honestly, you should play... All those years of hard work and practice shouldn't be lost.

I'm in my last year of school, and the piano and guitar provide a really good means of diversion, you know, when you're going crazy from studying for too long

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSaint1995)
    Its somthing Im working on! Find it hard to read ahead eeeeshhhh unless were in Cmaj 60bpm minims and crotchets no greater leaps than a 5th hahahaha lol

Psssst and stay in the ledger lines hahahaha
    LOL, sometimes I count the ledger lines so I know where on the piano my fingertip is to be placed... :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuantumSnowy)
    Can't do it for s*** on piano, can do to an extent on sax (as long as there's no altissimo)
    Play me some saxxxxxxx. I've got bars, let's link up and make the magic appen bro.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Technocrat)
    I deemed the acquisition of the sight reading ability to be sufficiently technical for my mental faculties.
    I've read this sentence 10 times and I can't work out what you mean.

Are you Year 11 by chance? If I could take this post and frame it I would, because it sums up 100% how nearly all Year 11's talk on TSR.

If you're not Year 11, then, hmm, you're talking like you're in Year 11.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I am learning to play the piano.

I can poorly sight read up to G6 standard pieces. You would not want me to support your band or orchestra but I can do okay.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.