Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I eat meat because I can.

(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    I've spoken with plenty of animal-eaters in my time, and one of their favourite reasons (excuses?) for doing so seems to be that we are simply superior to the animals we eat. We are the dominant species on the planet, and so it is our right to eat whatever inferior animals are under our dominion.

So what if a highly advanced, super-intelligent alien species arrives, subjugates us, and becomes the dominant species on the planet? Presumably meat-eaters should have no problems with their systematically breeding, caging, slaughtering and eating us - it would be their right as our superiors.

Any thoughts?
    Pretty sure if a superior race came here and harvested us it wouldn't give two ****s about its right to eat us. They can go ahead, we have nukes.

ReputationRep:
    What you've just said is that we breed the animals because we eat them and we eat the animals because we've bred them. What gives us the right to do any of that?
    The right? Highly irrelevant, as what higher power judges us for this?

We have the opportunity and ability to breed and consume animal produce for the benefit of our own species, so we do. :cute:

Carnivorous and omnivorous species are everywhere, we're just more efficient at it.

ReputationRep:
    I've spoken with plenty of animal-eaters in my time,
    Any thoughts?

you mean normal people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TelAviv)
    What gives a lion the right to eat an antelope?
    That's like asking "what gives a mother lion a right to eat her own cubs" .... or a male lion from killing cubs.

In context, we are vastly superior (at least supposed to be) in terms of intelligence and morality. We don't need to adopt a lion's way of life. In fact we can dismiss it as brutal and barbaric.

ReputationRep:
    For anyone that has got a spare 5 minutes:
    Spoiler:
    Show

"It is okay to eat animals because we are top of the food chain.

This is a fairly common objection to veganism and is argued on the basis that since humans are the dominant species of the earth, we have the right to eat other animals, just like other apex predators such as lions. For the purposes of this counter-argument I will, despite evidence to the contrary, accept the premise that humans really are apex predators and seek to instead disprove the conclusions often drawn from this supposed fact.This argument stems from one of the most ancient justifications for violence in existence; the proposition that might makes right. That because we are powerful enough to kill other animals, that gives us the right to do so.

The flaws in this as an ethical system, and the consequences of universally applying such a notion, should be obvious. That humans are, by our technology and our societal organisation in a position to mass produce, exploit and slaughter billions of animals for our consumption is not a good ethical reason for us to continue to do so, or any ethical reason whatsoever for that matter.This proposition also arises from a basic misunderstand of how natural systems work. “The food chain” is simply a construct we have imposed on the natural world in an effort to understand it; we are not at the top of a chain, we are part ofa complex system of mutual reliance. This argument relies on a version of hard biological determinism, that how we behave is entirely dictated by our biology, but in any other context this would not be entertained as a justification for behaviour which causes harm. Besides this, a society practicing industrialized agriculture cannot reasonably count itself as being “part of the food chain;” the vast majority of humans are not contending with wildlife and giving back to the cycle when we die by being eaten by someone with sharper claws. Most of us buy our meat pre-packed from our local stores, or kill game with mechanised weaponry.

Realistically, we ceased to be part of the natural give and take of nature the day we invented agriculture.Irrespective of what the food chain is and is not, what is absolutely certain is that it is of no ethical relevance whatsoever. What those holding this argument fail to account for is the fact that humans, unlike lions and other predators, are moral agents. Lions and other similar predators are obligate carnivores and have no choice in what they eat; therefore they are not subject to the same moral standards as humans are. We however, have a choice. Since the vast majority of humans can be perfectly healthy without consuming any animal products, most of do so purely for taste, convenience, habit and tradition. This makes consuming animals a moral decision and considering the fact that animal agriculture is responsible for the deaths of billions of animals and is one of the leading causes of climate change, that moral decision is very much open to criticism. When we can choose to live in a way that minimises our harm to animals and the planet, and we choose otherwise, we cannot use our place in “the food chain” to justify that behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mohammed himself)
    you mean normal people?
    It used to be 'normal' to beat your wife, have black slaves, marry a child e.t.c Now I'm not comparing the consumption of animals to these things but I'm just trying to illustrate that just because something is considered to be 'normal' in this period of time, it doesn't mean that it's morally right/okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goam)
    It used to be 'normal' to beat your wife, have black slaves, marry a child e.t.c Now I'm not comparing the consumption of animals to these things but I'm just trying to illustrate that just because something is considered to be 'normal' in this period of time, it doesn't mean that it's morally right/okay.
    Cuck!

ReputationRep:
    All I can do is try to persuade you.
    Trust me. Don't waste your time.

ReputationRep:
    Cuck!
    Wow what an intelligent response!! You must be so smart.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goam)
    Wow what an intelligent response!! You must be so smart.
    Smarter than you, lefty degenerate

ReputationRep:
    If veganism gives you a sense of purpose, then good for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goam)
    There's literally no valid argument against vegetarianism apart from 'meat tastes nice' People will make up any excuse to continue doing it
    what gives us the right to eat vegetables ? just because they are not cute and furry does not mean we can treat them with contempt. *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    You choose not to eat animals or use animal products. Fine.

I do.

By what right do you get to dictate what choices I make?
    If you believe animals deserve rights then it can be dictated. What right does the UN have to dictate human rights to you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    what gives us the right to eat vegetables ? just because they are not cute and furry does not mean we can treat them with contempt. *
    :rofl: I really really hope you're joking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goam)
    this is exactly the hurtful position which people took thirty years ago when animal rights were first asserted. *

ReputationRep:
    Smarter than you, lefty degenerate
    lmao :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goam)
    I really hope YOU'RE joking, lefty scum!

ReputationRep:
    I really hope YOU'RE joking, lefty scum!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goam)
    I've won more than 38, gimp!

ReputationRep:
    I've won more than 38, gimp!
    I think i'll just leave it here....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.