Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Trigger Warnings - (I issue one for this post) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Damien96)
    Yeah, unless we are all going to be trained in psychiatry it can only end ridiculously and even they can laugh about their patients once they've left the room.
    why would you have to be trained in psychiatry to just give a warning about the content of something ?
    the psychiatrists are going to be the ones addressing the problem and helping
    all trigger warnings do is make sure their recovery isn't set back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by defenestrated)
    why would you have to be trained in psychiatry to just give a warning about the content of something ?
    the psychiatrists are going to be the ones addressing the problem and helping
    all trigger warnings do is make sure their recovery isn't set back
    How else would you have any clue what might trigger someone? My point is that type of behaviour is appropriate for a therapy session, not society in general.

ReputationRep:
    How else would you have any clue what might trigger someone? My point is that type of behaviour is appropriate for a therapy session, not society in general.
    well i'm not trained in psychiatry but i know that reading/watching about war could make a soldier relive their trauma, or the same with rape for victims
    just because you might not be able to cover everything doesn't mean you shouldn't do what you can

ReputationRep:
    well i'm not trained in psychiatry but i know that reading/watching about war could make a soldier relive their trauma, or the same with rape for victims
    just because you might not be able to cover everything doesn't mean you shouldn't do what you can
    Nonsense, doing "What you can" only ends in censorship. I don't need to be told what I can speak of or joke about. That way of thinking will only end in sweeping important issues under the carpet.

Life is traumatic, that doesn't mean we should spend the short time we have on this earth like some apologetic undertaker.

ReputationRep:
    Nonsense, doing "What you can" only ends in censorship. I don't need to be told what I can speak of or joke about. That way of thinking will only end in sweeping important issues under the carpet.

Life is traumatic, that doesn't mean we should spend the short time we have on this earth like some apologetic undertaker.
    ? that's not what a trigger warning is
    there isn't any censorship you still say what you want
    all of you have to do is say a few words at the start which could really help someone
    I don't see how that's a problem

ReputationRep:
    ? that's not what a trigger warning is
    there isn't any censorship you still say what you want
    all of you have to do is say a few words at the start which could really help someone
    I don't see how that's a problem
    That is how trigger warnings are increasingly used. It is another in a long list of weapons that some use to shut down conversation and paint themselves, or groups on their behalf, as victims.

Disclaimers are increasingly being demanded, until no one ends up saying anything about anything.

If you are comfortable preempting sentences with apologies then knock yourself out, but I resent it deeply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingBradly)
    Trigger warnings are a fad that will die out in about a year.
    Trigger warnings are not a fad they've been around for years???

I actually think they were common on this site in 2009/10 than now. I remember most threads about sexual abuse/ rape had trigger warnings in their title.

Which I agree with. Why shouldn't people (especially victims) be warned if they are about to be confronted with something potentially distressing, and too close to home?

And the process of being triggered is actually a very real concept for those with mental disorders such as PTSD.

ReputationRep:
    Common sense. Empathy. Logic?

ReputationRep:
    trigger warnings are meant to be for people with ptsd, not for people who just might be sensitive
    Actually this reminds me of an incident; a guy on a bus I was on was "triggered", so to speak, having PTSD from the army. He started to go nuts creaming "let me off the bus let me off the bus!!" If a trigger warning can prevent that, that is enough. This is far less trivial then just "sensitive people".

When the person and his companion got off, after the bus driver stopped the bus, the ex-soldier just lied in a foetal position on the grass on the side of the road, with the other person hugging him.

It was tragic, it was sad, and if a meagre "trigger warning" would stop that, I'm all for it, despite its misuse.

Yeah, unless we are all going to be trained in psychiatry it can only end ridiculously and even they can laugh about their patients once they've left the room.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    The only time I think trigger warnings are necessary if you're on a mental health forum and about to type something that is can trigger emotional trauma in a victim browsing a post.

ReputationRep:
    Seems like we need trigger warnings for trigger warnings because you seem pretty triggered OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    Common sense. Empathy. Logic?
    Everything can be a trigger to specific individuals, common sense would only apply if you knew someone you were addressing has a specific trauma relating to something you are about to say.

The problem isn't broaching a subject openly, it is that the someone has been traumatised.

It is not in any way logical to start each sentence with a disclaimer or warning as if, as individuals, we are an episode of Eastenders.

What you are advocating is not empathy or, more importantly, compassion, it is manufacturing language until all the sharp edges of life have been filed down and we are reduced to humourless, grovelling Orwellian interactions.

Again, by all means, communicate in such a way, just don't shame others into joining in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmileyVibe)
    The only time I think trigger warnings are necessary if you're on a mental health forum and about to type something that is can trigger emotional trauma in a victim browsing a post.
    Precisely.

What it is actually used for is a method to stifle conversation and to run self-righteous flags up the pole of sanctimony.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Seems like we need trigger warnings for trigger warnings because you seem pretty triggered OP.
    As I said, everything can be a trigger

ReputationRep:
    Everything can be a trigger to specific individuals, common sense would only apply if you knew someone you were addressing has a specific trauma relating to something you are about to say.

The problem isn't broaching a subject openly, it is that the someone has been traumatised.

It is not in any way logical to start each sentence with a disclaimer or warning as if, as individuals, we are an episode of Eastenders.

What you are advocating is not empathy or, more importantly, compassion, it is manufacturing language until all the sharp edges of life have been filed down and we are reduced to humourless, grovelling Orwellian interactions.

Again, by all means, communicate in such a way, just don't shame others into joining in.
    Common sense would actually be to use probability.

The probability of a person being triggered by an explicit rape story vs the probability of a person being triggered by a story of a balloon.

Common sense. The human brain uses mental models of probability all the time. You can easily know what's more likely to trigger someone. Yes there are exceptions to the rule, but no one would hold you accountable for that. You know, what is more likely to trigger someone.

ReputationRep:
    Common sense would actually be to use probability.

The probability of a person being triggered by an explicit rape story vs the probability of a person being triggered by a story of a balloon.

Common sense. The human brain uses mental models of probability all the time. You can easily know what's more likely to trigger someone. Yes there are exceptions to the rule, but no one would hold you accountable for that. You know, what is more likely to trigger someone.
    That sounds like a restrictive, censored way to live a life to me. I'm sure Apple with come up with an App with the correct algorithm to minimise the chances of someone being triggered, but I'd rather live in a world with natural conversation, satire and open expression.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like a restrictive, censored way to live a life to me. I'm sure Apple with come up with an App with the correct algorithm to minimise the chances of someone being triggered, but I'd rather live in a world with natural conversation, satire and open expression.
    It's just part of social conventions, a social norm that comes natural to most. If you struggle then you need to work on your social skills.

If you can't tell what's is or isn't appropriate in social conversation that you must struggle.

ReputationRep:
    It's just part of social conventions, a social norm that comes natural to most. If you struggle then you need to work on your social skills.

If you can't tell what's is or isn't appropriate in social conversation that you must struggle.
    ***This is a trigger warning I issue to warn you, and anyone else reading it, that I shall be using the subject of rape in the context of hyperbole in order to highlight the fatuous claims of the poster.***

Yes because I don't feel the need to start each sentence about a difficult subject with a disclaimer I must be forcing my way into women's shelters and making rape jokes.

ReputationRep:
    This is going to make me sound like a missionary, I'm sorry. But anyways, I found a way to circumvent safe spaces! :ahee:

Dhammapada 408: He who utters gentle, instructive and truthful words, who imprecates none — him do I call a holy man.

So, even if the truth hurts a wise man speaks it. If someone tries to stop you then they're preventing you from practicing Buddhism and under the equality act of 2010 any policy or person who does this is guilty of "indirect discrimination." But the great thing is, this applies to everyone who labels themselves as a certain thing, even if they aren't really that thing. So next time someone tries to censor you or you enter a safe space just go full on SJW and say these magic words:

"I'm a Buddhist*. Practicing my religion requires that I speak truthfully at all times - even about sensitive topics. Therefore you are now in breach of the equality act of 2010 for indirectly discriminating against me. Let me speak my mind as my religion requires*** or I'll sue your racist** Buddhaphobic asses!****" ---> Safe space circumvented.

*You don't even have to be a Buddhist! They can't prove that you're not a Buddhist so legally there's no difference.
    **You know, because according to SJWs religion = race.
    ***Just as long as you do it "gently" it will be protected by that verse of the Dhammapada.
    ****Not very Buddhist-like, but we're not all arahants so you'll get away with it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.