Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladymusiclover)
    She's appointed Boris Johnson as Foreign Secretary. Am I missing something? Why?
    Party politics over national interest. You don't want a likeable politician on the backbenchers stirring up trouble. He has PM ambitions, we have all seen that. If he didn't get a position, he would be cosying up to other MPs to get support. Then if anything went wrong (and it will since Brexit is a disaster), launch a savage attack of her and take the leadership.*
    You have seen what Angela Eagle did to Corbyn with allies when not busy. The role will placate Boris for now, keep him busy for the time being, stop him blaming May for everything when he is in a position of power and by placing a Brexiter in a key role gets that section of the party behind May.
    It is a clever party political move by May - if you ignore the downside and loss of public support from putting Boris Johnson on your front bench. *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elitepower)
    Do you think the UK is respected right now, by its population or abroad?
    Of course it's a respected country (and influential, rich and powerful one); that's precisely why immediately after the Brexit result the Americans immediately said that the special relationship would not change and we would continue to be very close allies. Other countries like South Korea and Australia contacted us about trade deals.

Diplomatic relations between countries aren't based on the short to medium term ups and downs, the crises. The people running the Japanese Foreign Office, the US State Department, the Indian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, they are much more mature than metropolitan lefty middle-classes who are still having heart palpitations three weeks after the result.

The country will be okay, we will negotiate new agreements with Europe and life will go on. We are still one of the largest economies in the world, host to the world's largest financial centre, a top five military power with a seat on the UN Security Council, a member of the Five Eyes. That hasn't changed.

Have you seen the statements coming out about reactions to Boris?
    You mean statements on twitter from lefties? In all honesty they often confuse what they think about people with what people in other countries think. Boris has quite good connections in Asia, he is an intelligent man, quite charming in person and he is a big hitter in the government. He has the prerequisites to be Foreign Sec.

and I say English since Scotland is heading out the door
    We shall see. People like you were oh so confident were going to Remain. Your powers of prediction don't seem impressive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    I regard this as evidence that we are a client state of the US
    What are the characteristics of a client state? Does the UK have those characteristics?

Of course not. That's lefty rhetoric. Or do you really believe it? You think an unequal treaty means the lesser partner is a client state?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elitepower)
    Party politics over national interest. You don't want a likeable politician on the backbenchers stirring up trouble. He has PM ambitions, we have all seen that. If he didn't get a position, he would be cosying up to other MPs to get support. Then if anything went wrong (and it will since Brexit is a disaster), launch a savage attack of her and take the leadership.*
    You have seen what Angela Eagle did to Corbyn with allies when not busy. The role will placate Boris for now, keep him busy for the time being, stop him blaming May for everything when he is in a position of power and by placing a Brexiter in a key role gets that section of the party behind May.
    It is a clever party political move by May - if you ignore the downside and loss of public support from putting Boris Johnson on your front bench. *
    You've made a fantastic point. Never looked at it in this way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VeneziaDoge)
    What are the characteristics of a client state? Does the UK have those characteristics?

Of course not. That's lefty rhetoric. Or do you really believe it? You think an unequal treaty means the lesser partner is a client state?
    On something as important as the legal right to grab citizens away from us on what in practice are often quite concocted charges, with apparent indifference most of the time from our own government, then yes, it does appear that this is something similar to a slave /master relationship.

ReputationRep:
    I think she's competent, but overrated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)

As it is, those same people will lavish praise on May for it.
    It's her "big society moment".

They lavish praise because they know she wont actually do anything. Miliband would have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    It's her "big society moment".

They lavish praise because they know she wont actually do anything. Miliband would have.
    It's so hypocritical. Just like how when Labour proposed raising the minimum wage it was 'anti aspirational' and 'would cause thousands of businesses to flee overnight' but when Osborne did it, it showed he was in touch with ordinary people...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    It's so hypocritical. Just like how when Labour proposed raising the minimum wage it was 'anti aspirational' and 'would cause thousands of businesses to flee overnight' but when Osborne did it, it showed he was in touch with ordinary people...

Yep, plus he did it against a background of cuts targeting the same group of people, but delayed the increase in NMW so that they would feel the pain.

It was grimly comic listening to Cameroon going through all his many achievements in office today, most of the good ones were either LibDem initiatives or things he and Osborne took over from Labour.

ReputationRep:
    Hated Cameron. But compared to Theresa the Witch, he's a Saint.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VeneziaDoge)
    Of course it's a respected country (and influential, rich and powerful one); that's precisely why immediately after the Brexit result the Americans immediately said that the special relationship would not change and we would continue to be very close allies. Other countries like South Korea and Australia contacted us about trade deals.

Diplomatic relations between countries aren't based on the short to medium term ups and downs, the crises. The people running the Japanese Foreign Office, the US State Department, the Indian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, they are much more mature than metropolitan lefty middle-classes who are still having heart palpitations three weeks after the result.

The country will be okay, we will negotiate new agreements with Europe and life will go on. We are still one of the largest economies in the world, host to the world's largest financial centre, a top five military power with a seat on the UN Security Council, a member of the Five Eyes. That hasn't changed. * You mean statements on twitter from lefties? In all honesty they often confuse what they think about people with what people in other countries think. Boris has quite good connections in Asia, he is an intelligent man, quite charming in person and he is a big hitter in the government. He has the prerequisites to be Foreign Sec. *
    *We shall see. People like you were oh so confident were going to Remain. Your powers of prediction don't seem impressive
    Would you mind not being an arrogant, up yourself **** and making assumptions about my powers of prediction?
    Can I also ask where you live? Because as a english person living in Scotland, I feel pretty confident saying my on the ground knowledge is more relevant that your right wing posh tosh is buddy. *
    45% voted to leave in 2014, the feeling was particularly strong amongst younger people, the vote to stay was with the EU, Scotland voted in favour of staying in the EU, now Britain threatens to drag them out against their will. The referendum has shown Scotland's vote will be ignored and it will be forced against its will into situations. The whole situation is a massive example for the independence side about why people should vote leave and the referendum moved a hell of a lot of stay voters to there side. There have been multiple marches to stay in the EU and multiple polls saying independence will win - which it will. * **
    But please, enlighten me. You are a "smart" Leave voter who threw the economy off a cliff and flirts with racist language to get UKIP supporters on side. I'm sure you are much better informed, as you clearly think you are. Oh wait, you aren't. The truth is this is another Nick Clegg situation. A massive mistake has been made, people are angry, you can delay all you want and hope for the best but when that vote comes people will come out in force and wipe that smug condescending smile off your arrogant little face. *
    Oh the UK is a respected country is it and Boris is a good choice? Is that why German TV news presenters and the US state department had to stifle laughter when announcing him as Foreign Secretary? We can agree on one thing, life will go on, but don't try and pretend this isn't a decline. It might not be radical overnight *but we are in a worse position and the world is laughing at us.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Totalitarian, anti-science, completely clueless, incompetent (as demonstrated by her Psychoactive Substances Act and the Snooper's Charter), a technophobe, an idiot, she shouldn't be running this country. Corrupt to the core, she has a habit of tampering with or trying to outright silence scientific discourse, and threatening the media.
    Nobody becomes Prime mInister by being completely clueless...or Home Secretary for that matter. I fail to see why she's corrupt. You've made some good points, but those assertions based entirely on your dislike ruin it.

ReputationRep:
    I think she's actually a relatively moderate Tory, but who crucially understands that she needs to adopt populist positions on things in order to appease her media handlers/backers and supporters. I think she's a far more ruthless Cameron whose learnt his lesson in regards to the EU referendum.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not particularly pleased with her becoming party leader, nor do I like some of her cabinet appointments - i.e. Liam Fox, seeing as he resigned from the cabinet after scandal only a few years ago. As a Conservative Party member I would have preferred Cameron to have stayed in power for sure.

ReputationRep:
    Total failure on her own immigration targets over an extended period of time, unquestiong support of the 'Snoopers Charter', calling human rights 'problematic' and thats before we get to appointing BoJo anywhere (i understand it from a politcal game -play point of view).

She is awful.

ReputationRep:
    Theresa May has not been a centrist in the past. She has supported the Tories' economic policies which have inflicted immense hardship on working-class communities over the past six years, and her sinister counter-extremism strategy and snoopers' charter have all but ended the right to freedom of expression and freedom of thought in this country (although, unofficially, people - such as environmental activists as well as others on the left - have been targeted by the police and the government for simply holding beliefs for a long, long time now).

The fact that she's talking about public investment in infrastructure projects and workers' representation on boards demonstrates that the terms of the debate have shifted, and that the Conservatives are finally at least listening to the bulk of economists as well as the IMF, the OECD and Labour on the economy.

But, it remains to be seen whether Mrs. May actually carries out these promises. It's likely that she'll green-light infrastructure investment: Osborne had the advantage that the worst of the recession was over when he took over, meaning that he could pretend that the economic downturn was the result of the deficit. Mrs. May isn't going to inflict too much austerity when she knows - as Osborne did - that austerity is not the way to respond to economic downturns.

She has, however, indicated that she's willing to take us out of the Single Market and therefore crash our economy in order to stop freedom of movement. This suggests that she has poor judgement, but hopefully she'll pull the wool over the eyes of anti-immigration ideologues and keep us in the EEA.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.