• Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    Would you prefer it so we keep the order as it is now, old to new, or the other way around, new to old?

Ie you click a thread title and the newest reply is at the top?
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    Old to new but jump to last read by default
    This

Don't know why the default to "first unread post" got scrapped.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by PQ)
    This

Sometimes it randomly works. :dontknow:

Please just leave everything alone and stop changing stuff for the sake of it..
    no offence
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Old to new. The other way round is really weird and confusing.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Would you prefer it so we keep the order as it is now, old to new, or the other way around, new to old?

Oldest at the top

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Salamandastron)
    Please just leave everything alone and stop changing stuff for the sake of it..
    no offence
    This.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader

Old to new. I would want to read a debate in order without having to scroll all the way down to begin from the start. That's just so counter-intuitive in my mind.

ReputationRep:
    Old to new.

Otherwise you don't see what other people have posted easily, which will lead to people posting the same thing, making for a dull thread.

If it took effort to see the original post, a lot of people wouldnt read it and would just go off the thread title - probably posting asking questions that have already been answered or are in the OP, and sending the debate off in the wrong direction.
    • TSR Community Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Study Helper
    Thanks for your views everyone - I'm looking to understand why you feel the current order works and issues with the alternative order (don't panic, we're not planning to change this any time soon - just interested because we know the old threads do put some people off as they think it makes the content look outdated in some instances).

(Original post by PQ)
    This

Neither am I to be honest - it's a bug and I'm not sure when it first happened.

I always thought when you clicked on a thread title it took you to first unread. Which included if you have never read it, it took us to the OP.

ReputationRep:
    I think that the newest reply should be a the top as you got to scroll down or go to the last page to view or see the latest reply
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by sharkbate633)
    I think that the newest reply should be a the top as you got to scroll down or go to the last page to view or see the latest reply
    Or when you're in thread view, just click the 'latest post' button...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Or when you're in thread view, just click the 'latest post' button...
    Hum, good point

ReputationRep:
    Neither am I to be honest - it's a bug and I'm not sure when it first happened.

I always thought when you clicked on a thread title it took you to first unread. Which included if you have never read it, it took us to the OP.
    Am I missing something here? Clicking on the arrow at the side of the title does just that. Does it not work for everyone?
    PQ
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Am I missing something here? Clicking on the arrow at the side of the title does just that. Does it not work for everyone?
    PQ
    Yep - but on some views/links to threads the arrow isn't there - and if you're on mobile with chubby fingers it's easy to miss.

I'd rather the arrow was a link to the OP and the thread link took me to first unread...it's more common that I'd want to go to first unread than to OP so the fiddlier click should be for the least common option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Yep - but on some views/links to threads the arrow isn't there - and if you're on mobile with chubby fingers it's easy to miss.

I'd rather the arrow was a link to the OP and the thread link took me to first unread...it's more common that I'd want to go to first unread than to OP so the fiddlier click should be for the least common option.
    Good thinking. I don't use the mobile site any more - fat fingers combined with poor eyesight and tbh no real need - but yes, hitting the tiny arrows in those circs is awkward.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Please don't change this, new to old would be really annoying :afraid:

I seem to recall there's a setting for exactly this, so I'm sure most people are on their preferred setup anyway
    • TSR Community Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Study Helper
    PQ
    (Original post by PQ)

The problem with those arrows and symbols is that most people don't know what they are.

I'm only exploring the problem a little bit because it's a conversation that comes round from time to time. I've personally resisted it happening on TSR but I do like to challenge thinking to make sure we have got it right, as TSR doesn't a lot of the time. Perhaps we just make the 'go to latest' more obvious, or for really old big threads, we could close them to start new ones after say, two years. Much like the 10,000 post limit, if that makes sense. Dunno, just random ideas, not actually going to happen.

(Original post by shadowdweller)
    Please don't change this, new to old would be really annoying :afraid:

I seem to recall there's a setting for exactly this, so I'm sure most people are on their preferred setup anyway
    Only discussing it shads, don't worry we don't have the capacity currently to make this change even if we wanted to. Some of the problems I've highlighted above we would like to address at some point though one way or another.

ReputationRep:
    The problem with those arrows and symbols is that most people don't know what they are.
    Bigger, brighter coloured arrow? With an explanation that pops up when you hover over it?
    • TSR Community Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Study Helper
    Bigger, brighter coloured arrow? With an explanation that pops up when you hover over it?
    That's a good idea. Do you think think we should add it as a pop up over our other pop ups too? I often think we don't have enough pop ups.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.