Turn on thread page Beta

Brainz's Summer Bucket List watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    :thrasher: STARTED – 21. LOOK INTO MUSIC THEORY (BEGAN 17TH JULY) :thrasher:
    I never thought it would be so interesting. I know how to play the piano (not very well, but up to Grade 2) and I know there are exams for Theory which you can take. I would really like to be able to take exams for Music Theory and have something in black and white that says I know what I am doing. Plus, it's something else to do and learn in the long weeks I have off.

17/06/16
    I found these great courses this morning for Music Theory and it targets up to Grade 3 (which gives me 3-in-1 – how cool is that?!)

I’ve made a start on the course which is supposed to take about a day, so if I spread it out well, I can get it done by the end of the upcoming week and then hopefully, find other courses that are similar and also read around it even more. Who knows, I might even look into entering the exams by the start of the next academic year (if anyone knows how to go about this as a private candidate for ABRSM then I would appreciate the advice).
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    :run: STARTED – 23. LEARN TO PLAY A NEW GAME (BEGAN 17th JULY) :run:

And this new game…is Warhammer. I went for a beginner game yesterday and it’s great! I’ve bought some of the models and begun building and painting them all. (I’ll upload some picture soon).Does anyone else play??

Do let me know if you do!!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    :angel: STARTED – 28. COMPLETELY REORGANISE MY ROOM (BEGAN 18TH JULY) :angel:
    (COMPLETED 31ST JULY)

This is probably one of the more boring activities, but it goes hand-in-hand with the ‘Paint my room’ one I’ve got going on. If I can sort through my junk then painting my room should be much easier, and it will help me when I have to start studying properly again.

If people want, I can do a before and after shot, but only if you want me to

(My computer isn't currently letting me upload pictures, but...)

31st July
    I've done it!! I've painted it all (from blue and yellow to all white) and re-painted my shelves a vibrant blue with I think contrasts very well. There has also been a lot of moving around, with every item in my room being shuffled so that I can get more light at my desk.

I've managed to sort though all my things too, with the majority of my old school work going in the bin. I've managed to file all my papers and feel much more refreshed and as though I can be more productive from now on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainzistheword)

This is probably one of the more boring activities, but it goes hand-in-hand with the ‘Paint my room’ one I’ve got going on. If I can sort through my junk then painting my room should be much easier, and it will help me when I have to start studying properly again.

Yeah, it would be great to see pictures

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I would love to see pictures
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I know, I know - it's been a while since I updated!

But just to let you know I'm on with it now and I've added 3 more things to the bottom of my list Let me know what you think of my Bucket List!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Hope you're all having a great summer - I'd just like to let you all know that I have made my blog/website and you can view it here. I'd be really grateful if you could take a look and let me know what you think - thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    Hope you're all having a great summer - I'd just like to let you all know that I have made my blog/website and you can view it here. I'd be really grateful if you could take a look and let me know what you think - thank you!!
    it seems like an excellent blog so far, i hope that you continue to update, as it is rather motivational and interesting to read!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by ?Hannah)
    it seems like an excellent blog so far, i hope that you continue to update, as it is rather motivational and interesting to read!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you very much!!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    No. 3, 29, 30, 31 - LEARN LANGUAGES
    Well, there is this great range of apps available to learn languages, with Duolingo and Memrise amongst the most popular. I;ve recently come across Flashstick Academy which is rather good at incentivising learning.

I've found this amazing app for vocab and there are tons of languages on it. Although some don't offer the languages I wanted to initially study, I've started looking at French again. Well, I guess it can't hurt and the more vocab I know the better it will be!

20/07/16
    I've completed the first lesson it offers which was talking about breakfast. Then I played some of the word games and all of which gain you XP for the national leaderboard! For the word games I got a score of 23,821 and then a new high score of 66,237 which earned me 100XP. I then did another 4 lessons about everyday things, the universe, clothing, and family and got 4000XP to go with another 1000 from the first lesson. It also meant I had completed the full section.

21/07/16
    Using the same app as I am learning French, I felt like I should use it to learn Italian too (seen as the option was there).

I've completed the first lesson which was on Breakfast and it again gained me 1000XP and taught me brand new vocab which I am pleased about.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    COMPLETED - NO. 7 AND 10
    So, basically, I've taken loads of photos and entered competitions, with one occasion combining the two!

13th Aug
    There was a local competition today and I entered it with some arty pieces and a couple of photos. I came away with a couple of 1st places, a 2nd and a 3rd, along with a highly commended. Couldn't be happier
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    COMPLETED - NO. 19 - GO TO AN AIRSHOW
    And what a fantastic one it was too!

9th Aug
    Well, what can I say? It may have been a bit blustery along the coast but it was certainly worth it! The variety of stalls and aircraft displaying in the air was incredible. It certainly raised my enthusiasm for anything aeronautical!!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    COMPLETED 17 - BULLET JOURNAL
    I've started a bullet journal and have been keeping up with it since the start of August. It is in a quaint book with a Portuguese saying on the front which translates to "Sometimes the wrong path takes you to the right place" which I find very fitting for me.

I've found that this is a fantastic thing to keep me organised and it helps me unwind and feel more prepared for the next day. I have two small boxes at the bottom of each page with the times I sleep and wake up, just so I can track it, and then I make a small summary, almost like a diary at the end of each day.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PLANNED - 18. HOST A STALL AT A CRAFT FAIR
    As this competition ends tonight, I'm not going to be able to do this before it ends. However, I do have a stall planned for an event at the end of September where I will be selling my handy work and hopefully I'll get to talk to loads of new people which I am really looking forward to. If anyone wants to know how i get on, drop me a message towards the end of next month and I'll be happy to tell you
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    INCOMPLETE ONES

You can probably see my the OP that I didn't manage everything on the list as this competition draws to a close tonight. Some of the tasks I have attempted and started, meaning some of them will be continued long into the future - such as the blog and the language learning. And hopefully, I can actually tick off the rest of the red tasks before ethe end of the year!

I apologise for not having any pictures up but my computer is doing what all good technology does and not allowing me to access them, but I will keep trying so if any of you really want to see pictures, drop me a PM in a day or so.

Looking at many other people's summer lists, I can safely say that there are many fantastic ones, and just like the GYG competition, this has helped make the last year and this summer, much more enjoyable and even better than we can share it with everyone. I'd like to tell everyone that their blogs over the summer have been truly amazing and I enjoyed reading them

With any luck, I can't wait to be involved in this again next year.
    :dancing2:Until then, cheerio:dancing2:

ReputationRep:
    Well done on winning one of the prizes!! Your blog is so good!!! xx
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by LiiHyde)
    Well done on winning one of the prizes!! Your blog is so good!!! xx
    Thank you but there was no beating yours!! It was truly amazing and I'm so pleased you won the big prize

ReputationRep:
    Thank you but there was no beating yours!! It was truly amazing and I'm so pleased you won the big prize
    hehe thank you :3 xx Hope you have a lovely year
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by LiiHyde)
    hehe thank you :3 xx Hope you have a lovely year
    You're welcome and thank you. I hope you have a great year too

ReputationRep:
    :woo: STARTED - 3. LEARN MANDARIN (BEGAN 12TH JULY) :woo:

If you followed my GYG Thread from this year’s GCSEs (which is here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3897511&page=29 9&p=66403350#post66403350), one of my latest posts was about carrying on studying and one of the things I said I would do was learn Mandarin, as I had wanted to do it at GCSE but it wasn’t offered, so I’ve decided to do it in my free time. I have made revision cards so I get used to the symbols (I’ll upload a picture soon) and I use these as consistently as possible and I will be making more, as at the minute, they just cover animals and colours (the basics). As with the other posts, I’ll update my Mandarin progress in this post so it is all in one place.
    Good luck

I'm Chinese and have attended mandarin class for the past 5 years. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 7, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.