Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Theresa May boldly seizes the centre ground watch

• TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    I'm not sure that's true. Eagle is well to the left of Blair (which probably means too far left for the British electorate), and Owen Smith is too. Corbyn, of course, is off the scale and intent on a very long term project only he and his supporters fully understand.

Labour was unelectable after the fall of Callaghan until the Smith policy reforms that were subsequently picked up by Blair and Brown, and returned to that position once it moved leftwards after Brown's demise and the unions, now much smaller than they once were, are once again in charge - which is anathema to the electorate.
    Yeah, we'll have to wait and see what Labour come up with I suppose. I expect they won't end up drifting too far left though, Corbyn will serve them as a lesson as to why that's a bad idea for the party.

ReputationRep:
    She fired George Osborne - thats a good start.

As to the rest - personally I think shes another Thatcher. But we shall see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VeneziaDoge)
    What an amazing speech. It could have easily been given by an incoming Labour Prime Minister. She focused on social justice, on wealth inequality, tax evasion, on differing life chances and even mentioned that white working class boys are the least likely of any demographic to attend university.

This is a pretty aggressive move into the centre, even centre left, as the shambolic Labour Party has vacated it. I've even seen some Corbyn supporters who were impressed by it. Labour is probably out of power for the next 15 years. Very few will want to vote for a left-wing personality cult rather than a centrist government

It was a nice speech.

The question is, does she mean any of it?

Looking at what's going on so far, she's made Hammond Chancellor - he's a hawkish, austerity-minded right winger, so no change there - he possibly will be even more anti-welfare spending than Osborne was.

She's leaving Jeremy Hunt in his job - so she clearly intends to continue with his programme to find excuses for NHS privatisation by bullying the workforce into strikes - that hardly suggests she feels strongly for the poor and their access to free healthcare.

Time will tell, but watching the speech, I thought it was mostly just hype.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    It was a nice speech.

Looking at what's going on so far, she's made Hammond Chancellor - he's a hawkish, austerity-minded right winger, so no change there - he possibly will be even more anti-welfare spending than Osborne was.

She's leaving Jeremy Hunt in his job - so she clearly intends to continue with his programme to find excuses for NHS privatisation by bullying the workforce into strikes - that hardly suggests she feels strongly for the poor and their access to free healthcare.

Time will tell, but watching the speech, I thought it was mostly just hype.
    As Anne Perkins put it, If she really meant what she said, it would imply no more hedge funders giving tips on what should be in the budget, an end to the tax privileges of private schools, measures to tackle inequalities of income and wealth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    It was a nice speech.

No.
    She will stay strong on rhetoric: 'We need a fairer Britain', 'those at the top should contribute their fair share', 'there's no place for tax avoiders to hide', while in reality doing very little different to Dave and Gideon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    She fired George Osborne - thats a good start.

As to the rest - personally I think shes another Thatcher. But we shall see.
    George was a valuable asset to the conservative party, and I now have less confidence in ghat woman.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.