The Student Room Group

What do you think about all the really old threads on TSR?

Scroll to see replies

It's awesome. Mine from 2014 (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2595451) about how British girls dress (thread title has actually been changed by intolerant mods) still get replies.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lolakirk
Now I'm wondering whether that's still up? I don't know if the oldest posts have been automatically deleted since they are so old. Some forums just automatically delete ancient threads.

In another forums were I was before, it really is.

Original post by iEthan
TSR used to be known as UK-Learning back in those days. As far as I know, there was a problem and they had to delete all of the old threads pre-2004/2003 so that's all unknown and faded into obscurity. :iiam: I think the oldest user is currently… @matthew who has one of the first IDs! (6th member, the other one is Anonymous and the other IDs belong to since deleted members). (...)

Very interesting. Except 2003 and 2004, every single age group still exists? awesome.
Original post by Airmed
I don't mind the old threads. Just hate it when someone revives a thread which is like 5 years old. For the love of God, please, make a new thread.

I tend to agree with you here.

If an old thread is still, and has been, active, then it's not a problem to me - as that thread has a nice history of what's been going on over the years.

If someone just bumps an old thread for the sake of bumping it (which has happened before on here), then it's annoying. I know of some people that just like to disrupt forums by digging up ancient threads - and I usually report this as it is very annoying.

I mean, if you find some new information about an old topic, then if it's constructive, then either bump the thread, or make a new thread with a link in the OP to the old thread. But don't dig up ancient threads for the sheer sake of digging up ancient threads.
Reply 23
I think that some are really useful, but lost aren't.

I'd probably archive anything in community, entertainment and Life & Style after 6 months of inactivity,

anything in D&CA (leaving the MHoC alone), hobbies and interests ect. After a year of nothing;

and then put careers, university and study help threads up for review after a year of inactivity, if it's judged to have value then keep it if not then archive;

I'd also have anything under TSR news and announcements run the same as study help though.

Would make the place much neater and more tidy and prettier to look at and find relivent things.
I think they are definitely useful, there is a wealth of information amongst those threads and it would be a shame to see them removed. TSR is good because there is an answer to pretty much any question on here, and some of the more unusual and bizarre issues are covered in the older threads, making them an invaluable resource in my opinion.*

It is a pest when people unnecessarily bump up old threads, but I feel like that's a small price to pay.*
Old threads :love: The ones that are still active clearly still serve a purpose, so don't go retiring them yet, that's discrimination. :noway: Sure, the occasional zombie rears its head thanks to newbie's necromantic posts, but we can deal with those. :security: To a better extent than we can deal with unnecessary site changes, at least. :afraid:
I like old threads
I like them :smile:
To be quite honest, I think that after a certain time of no activity (posting) in a thread, they should probably be locked. However, there should be some kind of button, even if it's under the report post section, to flag it to be re-opened... I wonder whether having it so if you thought it was useful and you should be able to post to flag it for re-opening, it would be more productive, than having people post, and then for the thread to be locked...
Reply 29
Original post by Captain Jack
I wondered what you all thought about the fact TSR has lots of really old threads that are still active. E.g. a number of the really popular big threads on TSR are from 2014, 2013 etc.

How do you feel about that?

I feel mega old when you refer to threads from 2013 as really old..
Old threads are excellent to keep, both as an archive of what we've talked about, and it's fun to look back on for people who have been here longer. It's also brilliant for ideas for threads in some sections; if it's worked well in the past, then sometimes a new and updated thread is much needed, and gets at least as much attention!

It certainly doesn't make TSR seem outdated; if anything, it makes it seem more reputable. A forum with a backlog of threads over the years looks a lot more established and useful than one that only seems to have a year or two's history.
Original post by Reue
I feel mega old when you refer to threads from 2013 as really old..

I guess everything online is instant these days, we talk about hours rather than days. So anything that isn't very current or updated does feel very dated by comparison.
The problem is being able to see threads from a decade ago, but having to do an equally intense search to find the last thread or post you made on the Chat forum because it doesn't record them for some probably very odd reason.
When you said really old, I was thinking of threads older than 2013/14.
The really old threads don't bother me as it gives new members to our community a chance to have their say on older discussions etc.
Aren't the really old threads locked? Bcos where would the relevance be for some old topics have to be written in reply to now! I consider on my behalf for example the ones I had written on back wen I started here in 2005ish which I believe have no need to be rehashed! Alas I have some old topics I wrote under another username as you could change it back when, which I can't access it to delete or edit them!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sharkbate633
The really old threads don't bother me as it gives new members to our community a chance to have their say on older discussions etc.

Right. And some of those discussions are never get really old (just thinking about threads about political affairs and debates, Brexit for instance).*
Do you think it gives the wrong impression that TSR is outdated?

I have to say, that sounds like a question that only a marketing team would think up.
New users don't even notice the dates of threads they post in. That's why we constantly have bumped threads resurrected from 2009. You wouldn't believe the number of people PMing me to ask how to get an A in English Literature, when I did that A level in 2006 :lol:
Seriously, though, I love that there are such longstanding threads on TSR. It shows that people have roots, and that there are some things of enduring value and appeal here.

Original post by thunder_chunky
When you said really old, I was thinking of threads older than 2013/14.

:ditto: Stuff from 2013 feels really newfangled to me :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
this thread is really old

:toofunny:

the iron knee
I wondered what you all thought about the fact TSR has lots of really old threads that are still active. E.g. a number of the really popular big threads on TSR are from 2014, 2013 etc.

How do you feel about that?

It can catch you out sometimes - busily typing a reply to something which you suddenly notice was originally posted in 2011. I've almost replied to a question about A level choices which was so old that the person concerned would have finished their A2s and graduated!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending