Official Star Wars Rogue One thread

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I don't think Vader will be in it that much, I reckon he will be more of a cameo. I kinda like the fact that the vast majority of characters in this film haven't been in the originals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanHardy)
    It looks so good. I'm more excited for this than I was Episode 7
    Agreed.

I was exceptionally excited about episode 7 (i believe i was the one to create the thread the night the buyout of Lucas Film was announced) but i found the film to be solid but unexceptional (not as good as 6, 5 or 3, about on par with 4).

This however looks epic, i just hope they use Vader to give it that 'force' feel.

ReputationRep:
    New trailer looks good. Love the Imperial setting.

It cant really get worse than Episode 7. (Episode 1 was arguably worse)

ReputationRep:
    I cannot wait!! :starwars::starwars::starwars::starwars::starwars::starwars::starwars::starwars::starwars::starwars::starwars::starwars::starwars::starwars::starwars::starwars::starwars::starwars::starwars::starwars::starwars::starwars::starwars::starwars::starwars::starwars::starwars::starwars::starwars::starwars::starwars:*plays star wars soundtrack, while annoying my mum with my geekiness!*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PugDevil)
    SCROLL DOWN FOR OFFICIAL TRAILER

As I have been a massive Star Wars geek for practically my entire life, I felt that an official thread for tomorrow's Rogue One full trailer reveal was necessary Will we see the return of Darth Vader? I truly hope so!

Teaser Trailer:

Are you looking forward to Rogue One? Will it be better than Episode 7? Also if you have any thoughts on any of the characters then feel free to discuss!

Also if you want to talk about anything Star Wars related then feel free, e.g. How much EA screwed up Battlefront :rolleyes:
    My body wasn't prepared for this!

ReputationRep:
    https://youtu.be/mJsYChM2vns

Nothing wrong with Star Wars music!
    How this particular clip didn't make it onto the Force Awakens soundtrack I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    looks better than episode 7.
    Thats not hard.

ReputationRep:
    Great trailer.

Kenny Baker

ReputationRep:
    I'm really excited for the film!

I would love it if they went with a darker and more emotional theme for this one. Showing Darth Vader as a true villain. The prospect of him killing all of Rogue One just after they transmit the plans, IMAGINE that! Just to see Darth in true fighting form.

ReputationRep:
    I am really hoping that the blind staff wielder is a secret jedi, so he and Darth Vader can have a lightsaber fight because you will see the most epic Darth Vader lightsaber fight ever and it would be awesome to see Vader not hold back in anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    I am really hoping that the blind staff wielder is a secret jedi, so he and Darth Vader can have a lightsaber fight because you will see the most epic Darth Vader lightsaber fight ever and it would be awesome to see Vader not hold back in anyway.
    Rumours are saying that he is actually a Jedi, so you might get your wish.

ReputationRep:
    I don't watch trailers, but after hearing that Darth Vader was in the trailer i think it is not worth watching. It basically confirmed my suspicion that the trailer would reveal something that i believe would have been better witnessed when watching the movie, it makes it better. It's those moments that actually make the movie great. Experiencing the movie without knowledge of anything (except the release date of course) is so much more fulfilling, trust me.

My knowledge of what is actually in the trailer might be relatively inaccurate, so sorry about that. I'm not sure of the context of his appearance, as i have not watched the trailer.

This reply might probably be unsolicited, but please do not tell me what happened it the trailer.

ReputationRep:
    Hoping to see Darth Vader have a cool fight with that blind guy, but cool in the sense that Vader is way better than him - like they've built up the blind guy to be awesome the whole movie then Vader just beats him relatively easy. Just some awesome Vader scene really! Like he kills a bunch of the main characters or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paranoid_Glitch)
    I don't watch trailers, but after hearing that Darth Vader was in the trailer i think it is not worth watching. It basically confirmed my suspicion that the trailer would reveal something that i believe would have been better witnessed when watching the movie, it makes it better. It's those moments that actually make the movie great. Experiencing the movie without knowledge of anything (except the release date of course) is so much more fulfilling, trust me.

My knowledge of what is actually in the trailer might be relatively inaccurate, so sorry about that. I'm not sure of the context of his appearance, as i have not watched the trailer.

This reply might probably be unsolicited, but please do not tell me what happened it the trailer.
    I'm curious as to why you think revealing Darth Vader would have been better in the movie.

Rogue One is a prequel movie that focuses on something that happens before Episode IV (being extremely vague here as to not spoil for you), so it's not exactly a huge surprise that Darth Vader would be there in some shape or form.

I think Disney / Lucasfilm have to promote Darth Vader, not only due to the commercial value that he brings when it comes to advertisement etc. but also to portray the fact that this is a prequel film and not a sequel to The Force Awakens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PugDevil)
    Any thoughts on the new trailer?
    Im pretty excited but they will never be better than the originals :mwuaha:
    So its a prequel of the prequels?

ReputationRep:
    I'm so excited for Rogue One. Its going to be like a war movie and is the first star wars movie that's not going to be about a Skywalker (Vader doesn't count). I also love how they're mixing practical effects with cgi.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Morsey_)
    I'm curious as to why you think revealing Darth Vader would have been better in the movie.

Rogue One is a prequel movie that focuses on something that happens before Episode IV (being extremely vague here as to not spoil for you), so it's not exactly a huge surprise that Darth Vader would be there in some shape or form.

I think Disney / Lucasfilm have to promote Darth Vader, not only due to the commercial value that he brings when it comes to advertisement etc. but also to portray the fact that this is a prequel film and not a sequel to The Force Awakens.
    It just would be. Witnessing the presence of such a major character in the series would be more ecstatic than finding out from a trailer.

Spoiler Alert for Avengers Age Of Ultron & Captain America:Civil War
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I will assume you have watched Avengers Age of Utron. If vision was shown to be in the trailer (which he was sadly) his appearance would be less exciting, which it was because it was expected. So it's like what is there to look forward to if i know such things are already going to happen, another example would be the Captain America: Civil War trailer where everyone witnesses the arrival of Spiderman and from that moment we establish his affiliation within the movie. It's substantially better finding out these things in the movie rather than a trailer.

I don't think it's necessary to do so in a trailer unless for promotional value. I found out (before this) that it was a prequel without ever watching a single movie trailer. They could probably say on facebook or twitter even it would just diminish the promotional value from showing it through a trailer.

Maybe it might not be showing that Darth Vader would be in the movie that would lower my experience of it, but i'm sure after i watch the movie and go back to the trailers i will definitely find something that would have if i watched them. The best jokes, the best action scenes are now often shown in the trailer and that just makes the movie less enjoyable because the moments become expected.

Avengers Age Of Ultron Spoiler.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The funniest joke in Age Of Ultron (at least for me) was everyone trying to lift Thors hammer, but because that scene was basically shown in the trailer, it makes it less laughable when watching the movie. One of the major fight scenes in the movie was between Hulk and Iron Man (Hulkbuster). Knowing it was going to be in the movie made that moment somewhat less enjoyable. Yes there were parts of that scene that were still good, i just found it to be less exciting because it was expected as shown by the trailer.

I didn't even know who Kylo Ren or Ray or who any of the new characters were when i watched The Force Awakens. Seeing them on the screen for the first time was just felt way more fulfilling than finding out from a trailer.

I get that such things need to be done to promote the movie, but it has become so often that some of the greatest moments of the movie are revealed in the trailer. The Batman Vs Superman trailer is a prime example.

Maybe this does not disprove any of your points, but why watch a trailer of a movie you know you're going to watch?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paranoid_Glitch)
    It just would be. Witnessing the presence of such a major character in the series would be more ecstatic than finding out from a trailer.

Spoiler Alert for Avengers Age Of Ultron & Captain America:Civil War
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I will assume you have watched Avengers Age of Utron. If vision was shown to be in the trailer (which he was sadly) his appearance would be less exciting, which it was because it was expected. So it's like what is there to look forward to if i know such things are already going to happen, another example would be the Captain America: Civil War trailer where everyone witnesses the arrival of Spiderman and from that moment we establish his affiliation within the movie. It's substantially better finding out these things in the movie rather than a trailer.

I don't think it's necessary to do so in a trailer unless for promotional value. I found out (before this) that it was a prequel without ever watching a single movie trailer. They could probably say on facebook or twitter even it would just diminish the promotional value from showing it through a trailer.

Maybe it might not be showing that Darth Vader would be in the movie that would lower my experience of it, but i'm sure after i watch the movie and go back to the trailers i will definitely find something that would have if i watched them. The best jokes, the best action scenes are now often shown in the trailer and that just makes the movie less enjoyable because the moments become expected.

Avengers Age Of Ultron Spoiler.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The funniest joke in Age Of Ultron (at least for me) was everyone trying to lift Thors hammer, but because that scene was basically shown in the trailer, it makes it less laughable when watching the movie. One of the major fight scenes in the movie was between Hulk and Iron Man (Hulkbuster). Knowing it was going to be in the movie made that moment somewhat less enjoyable. Yes there were parts of that scene that were still good, i just found it to be less exciting because it was expected as shown by the trailer.

I didn't even know who Kylo Ren or Ray or who any of the new characters were when i watched The Force Awakens. Seeing them on the screen for the first time was just felt way more fulfilling than finding out from a trailer.

I get that such things need to be done to promote the movie, but it has become so often that some of the greatest moments of the movie are revealed in the trailer. The Batman Vs Superman trailer is a prime example.

Maybe this does not disprove any of your points, but why watch a trailer of a movie you know you're going to watch?
    I think what you've highlighted though is a more of a general problem in Hollywood, as i agree that the films you highlighted (especially AoU and BvS which were marketed to death), definitely showed way too much material before the film was released and definitely diminished aspects of the film.

But at what point do you draw a line as to what is a spoiler? What point do you draw the line between what can and can't be shown in trailers? I mean sure, your point is valid and i guess that any footage is best seen first time on the big screen, but they have to show something otherwise they're never going to make their money back.

I guess at the end of the day it's all subjective. What might be a spoiler to you may not be a spoiler to me. Some people want lots of footage going into a movie (especially for such beloved franchises), where others will avoid seeing footage to see it first hand on the big screen.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how much Darth Vader will be in the movie.

ReputationRep:
    The second full trailer has been released!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.