Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is £100,000,000 really worth it for Pogba? Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I will put Pogba at £120M for his value. £100M for his current value and an extra £20M, if he wins Balon d'Or within the next 5 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    I will put Pogba at £120M for his value. £100M for his current value and an extra £20M, if he wins Balon d'Or within the next 5 years.
    Nah i dont think he would ever go for over £100M
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Bishbashjosh1)
    Nah i dont think he would ever go for over £100M
    It is all about bargaining and negotiations. Raheem Sterling went for £49M and he was not even 21 yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    It is all about bargaining and negotiations. Raheem Sterling went for £49M and he was not even 21 yet.
    True, we will see
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    He's 23, and could conceivably be at the heart of our midfield for 10 years. It could well end up being worth it.

It's like Rio Ferdinand -30m was a ridiculous fee in 2002, but we got 12 years out of him and for most of that time he was one of the best defenders in the league. So he ended up being a real bargain.

ReputationRep:
    A player can only be worth a seriously large price tag if they more or less guarantee you results, such as winning the league or champions league consistently. Pogba does not give you any such guarantees, and therefore it is a disgraceful misuse of resources.

Only Messi can justify a fee like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhsc)
    A player can only be worth a seriously large price tag if they more or less guarantee you results, such as winning the league or champions league consistently. Pogba does not give you any such guarantees, and therefore it is a disgraceful misuse of resources.

Gareth Bale?

ReputationRep:
    I think basically only a freak like Messi can be worth that sort of money. Consistently delivers, guarantees results, hardly gets injured, is unplayable in almost every game, is not just world class but the best in the world (possibly in history) in more than one position.

Bale is great but you surely can get more from signing three top quality 40m players than him for 120m? Or two 60m players?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhsc)
    therefore it is a disgraceful misuse of resources.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not when you're able to buy him and still spend big in all the other positions you need, as United have done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhsc)

Plenty of players can guarantee results that aren't Messi. Bale (as mentioned above), Suarez, Neymar etc

ReputationRep:
    People don't get that Sky have given PL clubs much more money to spend as of 2014 and its increasing further this year, subsequently other clubs expect more.

ReputationRep:
    I have £4, but I left it in my other jeans. Can Pogba wait 'til after laundry day?

ReputationRep:
    Now that is a name I haven't seen in a very long time ^. Didn't you date a girl in York?

ReputationRep:
    The logic was winning the CL/League consistently. since Bales arrival he's been a key part to Real Madrid winning 2 champions leagues in 3 years. Surely he is worth 100M according to the very logic you are using.

Ftr I don't think Pogba is worth 100M yet but he very well may be in a few years at whatever club he plays for.

ReputationRep:
    Get James Rodriguez for £65,000,000 instead, and then get someone like Ramos for £35,000,000 to join United's defence alongside Smalling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bammy jastard 27)
    The logic was winning the CL/League consistently. since Bales arrival he's been a key part to Real Madrid winning 2 champions leagues in 3 years. Surely he is worth 100M according to the very logic you are using.

Ftr I don't think Pogba is worth 100M yet but he very well may be in a few years at whatever club he plays for.
    Would argue that 23 appearances last year in the league prevents him from meeting the criteria about 'consistent', but sure, Bale would be a candidate for spending a huge chunk of money on - but probably not 120 ****ing million quid. Did you just attribute them winning the CL to him tho?

You can even buy some pretty reasonable sized clubs for 120m.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhsc)
    Would argue that 23 appearances last year in the league prevents him from meeting the criteria about 'consistent', but sure, Bale would be a candidate for spending a huge chunk of money on - but probably not 120 ****ing million quid. Did you just attribute them winning the CL to him tho?

You can even buy some pretty reasonable sized clubs for 120m.
    La Decima was definitely due to Bale.
    http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/garet.../spieler/39381
    He was injured a lot last season but when Bale played he was their best player. Although him, Ronaldo and Benzema contributed very well(like they always do)

ReputationRep:
    Never worth 100million only worth upto 40/50
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I feel i should probably point out that you guys seem to be comparing like for like with these numbers.

Pogma is not going for £100m because that's how much he's worth to Man U but rather because on top of his value (at £300k they actually value him at about £20m per year) they also have to buy out his old contract.

Players go for a lot more after a new contract than when they have a year to go.

Pogma still had another 3 years on his contract.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I feel i should probably point out that you guys seem to be comparing like for like with these numbers.

Pogma is not going for £100m because that's how much he's worth to Man U but rather because on top of his value (at £300k they actually value him at about £20m per year) they also have to buy out his old contract.

Players go for a lot more after a new contract than when they have a year to go.

Pogma still had another 3 years on his contract.
    You don't buy out contracts. The longer the length, the more leverage the selling club has.

Players go cheaper in their final year due to the bosman rule where you can transfer for free when your contract expires.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 26, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.