Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    "How dare you ban me from being horrible to people?"
    You are free to be a racist if you want, but if you commit a crime and its racially motivated then you will get a more sever sentence.

You think racism is acceptable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    Well, hurling abuse at anyone is bad.

The difference is there is not history of attacking fat people on the basis of their BMI in this country.

That is why it has never been enacted in law.

Having said that....feel free to go to your local MP.
    I agree, hurling abuse at anyone is indeed bad. But we seem to have decided that hurling abuse at some people is not just bad, but criminal. And given as there is no difference whatsoever between the act, the motive behind the act and the potential impact on the victim, I don't really understand how you can consider them differently.

And obesity is just one example. What about people who smoke, who face constant pressure from everyone to change their habit, but it is considered socially acceptable to pressure them? The problem is that I don't see that there is any real distinction, so the line-drawing is arbitrary and has the effect of implying that abusing a black person is worse than abusing a fat person. Whereas I'd argue that the two or identical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke Kostanjsek)
    I agree, hurling abuse at anyone is indeed bad. But we seem to have decided that hurling abuse at some people is not just bad, but criminal. And given as there is no difference whatsoever between the act, the motive behind the act and the potential impact on the victim, I don't really understand how you can consider them differently.

And obesity is just one example. What about people who smoke, who face constant pressure from everyone to change their habit, but it is considered socially acceptable to pressure them? The problem is that I don't see that there is any real distinction, so the line-drawing is arbitrary and has the effect of implying that abusing a black person is worse than abusing a fat person. Whereas I'd argue that the two or identical.
    Well, you can be arrested for hurling abuse at someone in the street depending on the situation. It isn't as simple as it being racial or not.

Like I said before, it is a question of history. There is a history of violence against racial minorities. These laws were put in place to discourage people from doing that and to discourage any related behavior. That is why those lines were chosen.

Is one objectively worse than the other? No. However, racism is clearly associated with more dangerous behavior.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Except your own, by definition.
    Ummmm... no? I can be racist towards my own and it be could classified as a hate crime. It would be unusual but by definition it's possible.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    hate crimenoun
    1. a crime motivated by racial, sexual, or other prejudice, typically one involving violence.

(Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Those of the darker phenotype call each other the word beginning with an 'n' all the time, the offense is when there is malicious intent. Its surely worse to call someone of the darker phenotype a ******* with real hatred behind it, than use the word beginning with an 'n' in a jovial way?
    I think it would be worse yes but both are morally wrong. The law doesn't cover the former I'm afraid. Though if both [physical] attacks, one with and one without racism, had malicious intentions, I would think it be better to have higher prosecutions for the racists since they've indirectly attacked the community in general as well as the individual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    You are free to be a racist if you want, but if you commit a crime and its racially motivated then you will get a more sever sentence.

You think racism is acceptable?
    He was being sarcastic. That's the point of the quotation marks.

ReputationRep:
    "The motive isn't important" is really quite a daft thing to say, and undermines the entire concept of the judicial system.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    "The motive isn't important" is really quite a daft thing to say, and undermines the entire concept of the judicial system.
    Care to explain why its irrelevant?
    Also why it undermines the concept of the judicial system?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Care to explain why its irrelevant?
    Also why it undermines the concept of the judicial system?
    What's irrelevant? I'm saying that the motive is totally relevant when deciding what punishment fits the crime. Did you misread?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    What's irrelevant? I'm saying that the motive is totally relevant when deciding what punishment fits the crime. Did you misread?
    Yep misread. thank goodness cna go and watch soemthing now.

ReputationRep:
    The easiest way to think of this.

A shopkeeper refuses to serve a man because the shopkeeper could not be bothered.

A shopkeeper refuses to serve a man because the man is of a different race.

Would you says that these 2 scenarios are the same?

Now let's put the murder in there.

A killer murdered a man because he was in the mood for it.

A killer murdered a man because he was of a different race.

Now is that the same?

The point is... The 1st pair is ALREADY a problem without the murder. The murder is an additional problem. And thus the hate crime is 2 problems and not 1 thus the harsher punishment.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.