Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What does Chemical Engineering involve and what sort of person is best suited? Watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by GabbytheGreek_48)
    probably industry not sure though so im guessing if industry no but academia yes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, if you want to work in industry then aside from perhaps some research positions there's little point in doing a PhD. Whereas for academia I think you almost certainly need a PhD, but I'm not entirely sure as it's not my area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Yes, if you want to work in industry then aside from perhaps some research positions there's little point in doing a PhD. Whereas for academia I think you almost certainly need a PhD, but I'm not entirely sure as it's not my area.
    alright thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SK20)
    Thank you for everyone's responses, they've been very helpful!

I just had a few more questions to add:

1. What sorts of topics/modules will you cover? (Hoping I can research them and get a better feel for the subject before I fully commit.)
    2. Are there lots of jobs available as a chemical engineer after you graduate, and will these be available all throughout the UK (would you need to relocate?)

Thanks again
    Hi I just graduated from a MEng chemical engineering degree so happy to help you with your questions!

1. All engineers typically cover fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, heat transfer and engineering mathematics as a given in their first few years. For chemical engineers, understanding chemistry is fairly fundamental to the degree, so that becomes incorporated into a lot of courses. In later years the courses switch their focus to process design and equipment design - i.e 'Design a distillation column which achieves X percentage purity of Product A by separating it from this mixture'.
    I think it's quite difficult to communicate to an A-level student the variety of work you cover - it's essentially an applied mathematics degree with lab work, group problem solving and report writing.

2. The job market in my opinion is poor at the minute and chemical engineering is far from being a safe route to a job. The number of people studying chemical engineering has increased exponentially combined with this, making it even harder. One thing to bear in mind is that you have to be open minded on where you want to live too, many of the jobs aren't in desirable places in the UK. Relocating outside the UK isn't really possible if you can't speak another EU language, and the visa process is too complicated elsewhere.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.