Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Civil liberties/Surveillance SO underestimated+Want to do something about it?? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viffer)
    Which pretty much sums it up for me. If you are problematic or a subversive I WANT you monitored tbph
    So like, nothing to hide, nothing to fear, you cool with that? If you didn't have any Jewish blood in Germany, you were fine. They can be the arbiters. Yeah, I'm probably an islamic terrorist aren't I? Not just an innocent person in a prison camp of a country that has been ruined by sociopaths, and our scummy rulers, spending years being illegitimately harassed. They took the freest, noblest country on earth and created this ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    The chances of being killed in one are minute. I would still rather live in France, or the US, if I had the money. In the US I could get shot, in France there is more Terror. But if I could have that without the creepy stuff I experience under New Labour here, I'll take my liberty and autonomy anyday thanks. It's your view, but I'd rather have deportation of risks, and border control than this mass surveillance of every innocent person? Why is it justified, it's an outrage, and clearly has sinister undertones. And again, why do our political class want open borders so much if they care about terrorism? We wouldn't have any risks if we just never had all this flow of people and we weren't so ****ing holier than thou and PC and had a border police too.
    The only way you stop immigration is having a North Korea style boarder. There will always be illegal immigration if you live in a country that is worth living in. Besides, most terror attacks are from home grown suspects so boarder control is quite irrelevant.

On the odds of being killed in a terror attack, I see this daft statistic come up a lot and used by Snowdon as well as it's utter shite.

It does not matter how many people are killed it's the consequences of people's changes in behavior that matters. Loads of people die in car crashed every year but it's indiscriminate and an acceptable risk. Life with out cars would be disastrous to the economy. If Islamist terrorists go after jews then you start having to have armed guards of jewish schools and places of worships. This obviously makes it much worse for them and mean they change their behavior.

ReputationRep:
    I just spat out my bromide...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skeptical_john)
    The only way you stop immigration is having a North Korea style boarder. There will always be illegal immigration if you live in a country that is worth living in. Besides, most terror attacks are from home grown suspects so boarder control is quite irrelevant.

On the odds of being killed in a terror attack, I see this daft statistic come up a lot and used by Snowdon as well as it's utter shite.

It does not matter how many people are killed it's the consequences of people's changes in behavior that matters. Loads of people die in car crashed every year but it's indiscriminate and an acceptable risk. Life with out cars would be disastrous to the economy. If Islamist terrorists go after jews then you start having to have armed guards of jewish schools and places of worships. This obviously makes it much worse for them and mean they change their behavior.
    Well if we hadn't practised the mass immigration politicians are so fond of doing, they wouldn't be homegrown. It's subjective whether you think it's a good idea. What statistic? You think dying in terror attack is really likely? You are happy to give way all liberty? That's ok, it's not wrong or right, it's subjective. I'd much rather live in a freer US or France than this police state in waiting. Not to mention being a citizen not a subject.

ReputationRep:
    Well if we hadn't practised the mass immigration politicians are so fond of doing, they wouldn't be homegrown. It's subjective whether you think it's a good idea. What statistic? You think dying in terror attack is really likely? You are happy to give way all liberty? That's ok, it's not wrong or right, it's subjective. I'd much rather live in a freer US or France than this police state in waiting. Not to mention being a citizen not a subject.
    when you say stuff like 'you're happy to give away all liberty' you obviously have not read anything I've said and are just wasting time.

The point is on behavior given all other things being equal I would go to Spain over France for a holiday because of all the terror attacks.

Look at turkey. This coup was in part due to the government losing control on terror. The effects of terrorism are far more than the total death count.

ReputationRep:
    What makes you think the US is freer?

You complain about the British standards of surveillance but ignore that they follow the same guidelines that the (more numerous and far larger) US agencies use...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.