Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How often does your broadband stop working? Watch

ReputationRep:
    This week mine's started going on and off repeatedly from 4:30pm through to like 7-ish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    This week mine's started going on and off repeatedly from 4:30pm through to like 7-ish.
    What provider are you with?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Mine is crap and we're with Sky. And I don't see what's being 'spoiled' about it. I pay for a service, so expect it to be reliable.
    Most annoyed on my last assignment, I was just uploading it to TURNITIN and my connection went down. Had to leg it next door and use their internet. Got it in by 1 minute to spare.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting thing I found out about this. Apparently a company can advertise a certain speed if at least 10% of the customers get it.

So Virgin media or BT or Sky, whatever, can say they have the fastest speed on their adverts but actually only 10% of their customers would get it. And that's legal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidguettafan)
    What provider are you with?
    BT. It's been good for ages but recently not so much.

(Original post by Proximo)
    Interesting thing I found out about this. Apparently a company can advertise a certain speed if at least 10% of the customers get it.

So Virgin media or BT or Sky, whatever, can say they have the fastest speed on their adverts but actually only 10% of their customers would get it. And that's legal
    Well they do use the phrase "up to" nearly all of the time. Anybody not taking those two words into account when getting their broadband deserves the terrible speed they accidentally give themselves as a result.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    Well they do use the phrase "up to" nearly all of the time. Anybody not taking those two words into account when getting their broadband deserves the terrible speed they accidentally give themselves as a result.
    Lol I'm sorry that so nonsence, it's deliberately misleading and I haven't even seen them use those words. Many people including notable politicians have likened this to the misselling of PPI scandal, or even worse.

Your logic: you misread something therefore you must be met with an extreme punishment of being defrauded out of your money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Proximo)
    Your logic: you misread something therefore you must be met with an extreme punishment of being defrauded out of your money.
    You're not being defrauded if they tell you exactly what you're getting.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.co...dband-packages

It's on this advert as well sooo

• Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    im fed up that BT advertised 78mbps for my broadband and I am only getting 75-76mbps. where is the extra 2-3mbps :lol:

but in all honesty, I wish we could just have gbps connection already (UCL have developed Tb speed-capable transfer)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.