Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Only if it's being streamed live.

And from the first of september if you are watching any BBC programme live or not.
    don't get why uni students are so against buying a licence ; I'd happily pay for one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fefssdf)
    don't get why uni students are so against buying a licence ; I'd happily pay for one
    Well in halls (at mine anyway) TV license was covered in the rent for the communal area of the flat. You only needed to get one if you had a TV in your room, which I didn't and saw no need for.

I've lived in house shares the past 2 years though and we paid TV license in them, since there were 8 of us it was basically nothing to pay for the whole year split between us.

I ca understand why people who'd have to pay for the whole license themselves would be against getting one. As to some students £150 is the difference between eating or not for a month or 2 when they're scraping together every penny they have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fefssdf)
    Because there are hundreds of websites which live stream the BBC network for free and £150 is a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pato1)
    Because there are hundreds of websites which live stream the BBC network for free and £150 is a lot.
    Yh but surely steaming it live should require a license ?

ReputationRep:
    You can pay for the license monthly by direct debit. When you move out of halls for the summer, you can get the 3 months refunded if you paid the whole year in one go. There is also an option to pay the licence quarterly so you could do that and pay when your money from SFE goes into your bank a/c.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just watch whatever you want I didn't have a tv licence it's unlikely the to licence people will
    Be able to specifically track you of hundreds of students in a gated student community and if they did come to my door I would refuse then entry. I just used my computer to watch sky go, put locker, I played etc whatever really. Loads of people got letters in their postboxes addressed to "whomever the resident of this address is" and therefore they try and get you to pay up. Next year however I think there is 8 of us in 2 houses and I think each one will probs split for a tv licence as some of them are OTT and would fret about getting caught which is fair enough I guess as you will be easier to find on a road and it won't be much anyway

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.