Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Labour Election £25 to vote! Watch

• View Poll Results: Who is more important?
    Owen Smith to give a 2nd EU Referedum.
    7.14%
    Jeremy Corbyn to speak out for the working class.
    85.71%
    I don't care.
    7.14%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    So the New Labour Coup have decided to charge Labour Supporters £25 to vote in the next leadership election.You have between 18th to 20th of July before 5pm to register.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...ership-contest

This makes a mockery of Labour being all for equality when the Parliamentary Labour party are doing everything they can to save their old way of doing things mean while excluding as many people from the party as possible.

So if you happen to be a poor person on Job Seekers Allowance £25 from your budget is really going to set you back.

This is a all out war against the poor from New Labour.

I'm going to sign up as a supporter and I hope the PLP choke when they are drinking the champagne from the proceeds of the right to vote for the Labour leadership election.

New Labour make me sick. They are nothing but a bunch of self serving neo-liberal luvvies.

But wait it gets worser .....

New Labour are reading members social media to ban them from voting if they have called another Labour member "scum", "scab" or "traitor". New Labour are now against freedom of speech.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics...***-or-traitor
    It's funny because your username is llegaltobepoor LOLOLOLOLOLOL

then again give me £25 lol i need it, too poor, gonna lose the house i live in soon
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    I hope Corbyn wins for the lolz. What would happen to Labour then...?
    A decade in opposition and 100 seats lost at the next GE. Maybe a party split too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't care about the credibility of a bunch of neo-liberal MP's. It doesn't serve the working class.
    What, and enduring the Tories remain in power does help the working class?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    So the New Labour Coup have decided to charge Labour Supporters £25 to vote in the next leadership election.You have between 18th to 20th of July before 5pm to register.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...ership-contest

This makes a mockery of Labour being all for equality when the Parliamentary Labour party are doing everything they can to save their old way of doing things mean while excluding as many people from the party as possible.

So if you happen to be a poor person on Job Seekers Allowance £25 from your budget is really going to set you back.

This is a all out war against the poor from New Labour.

I'm going to sign up as a supporter and I hope the PLP choke when they are drinking the champagne from the proceeds of the right to vote for the Labour leadership election.

New Labour make me sick. They are nothing but a bunch of self serving neo-liberal luvvies.

But wait it gets worser .....

New Labour are reading members social media to ban them from voting if they have called another Labour member "scum", "scab" or "traitor". New Labour are now against freedom of speech.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics...***-or-traitor
    You do realise that Labour is the most expensive party to join in the first place?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    You've only just noticed? Not been paying attention to politics for the last 20 years then...

And of course they're self serving. They exist to get themselves into power. Without which it doesn't really matter who they're serving second, because it'll never happen.

The new labour faction are actually trying to save the credibility of the party, but people like you are too blind to notice.
    This.

Corbyn IS very popular amongst a 'true-red' grassroots, and the 'New Labour' type 'moderates' are just self-serving career politicians.
    But I think if Corbynistas are honest with themselves they can admit that as far as everyone else is concerned, Corbyn is unelectable.

He plays up to his grass-roots, but the UK isn't some neo-communist homogeneous swarm.
    The vast majority of people disagree with his politics. I do, and I would otherwise say I like Corbyn on a personal level (he seems generally amiable, I admire his loyalty to his principles, and at least I guess he has good intentions, but I don;t agree with his conclusions and methods).
    Outside of politics I'd say he's an okay bloke. But as a prospective PM no chance and no thanks, thank you!

Still, concerning Labour leadership, the £25 is a rather cynical attempt to block a run on membership conveniently just in time for the leadership election, but assuming the corbynista mass kept their memberships from the last rush, there shouldn't be a problem.

He may yet fight off the challenge, although whether Labour ever sees office again is something else.

ReputationRep:
    It may backfire. Corbyn fans are usually well off cosmopolitan elites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamageddon)
    It may backfire. Corbyn fans are usually well off cosmopolitan elites.
    this is true

A recent study of the labour membership showed it was mainly middle class graduates living in London

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.