Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Two nights shouldn't be a problem, especially if your guest is staying in your room. If I were you, though, I'd tell the college anyway and make sure the guest was properly signed in at the lodge, just to be on the safe side. If your guest needs a guest room and your college doesn't have lots of rooms to spare, it should also be OK as long as you talk to the accommodations officer early enough.
    You've actually done that?! I've never bothered for friends who've stayed overnight (admittedly not a very common occurence), only for my parents who object to sleeping on my floor, and therefore want the JCR guest room.

I don't see the difference between a friend who stays until 4am and then goes back to their own college, and one who stays til 8am before getting a train home.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by chrisjorg)
    Ok, so I just met my offer for Oxford, which is great, but at the same time people keep telling me that: "They will come visit me".

Now I just wonder if any current students could give me a little insight into how they cope with guests and their workload? Do you manage to have people staying over for a week without getting behind in your essays/problem sheets?
    Ooh, what I originally meant to say was don't let old friends visit you right away, especially not for a whole week, as you'll still be making friends at college/within your subject and finding your feet in Oxford. A week is a massive proportion of your term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisjorg)
    Ok, so I just met my offer for Oxford, which is great, but at the same time people keep telling me that: "They will come visit me".

Now I just wonder if any current students could give me a little insight into how they cope with guests and their workload? Do you manage to have people staying over for a week without getting behind in your essays/problem sheets?
    A week?! No way. Some of my friends have long-distance boyfriends and they'd all slave away during the week to have the weekend off if they were coming down. I felt bad when my sister came to stay for one night as I couldn't take her round the town as I had an essay deadline. Luckily, she brought a friend and they pottered round on their own. Visits in twos works out well like that.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all very much!
    I will definitely tell people to control their urge to come to Oxford
    And I will kick them out after 2 days
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Athena)
    You've actually done that?! I've never bothered for friends who've stayed overnight (admittedly not a very common occurence), only for my parents who object to sleeping on my floor, and therefore want the JCR guest room.
    No, I haven't, but from lale's post it wasn't entirely clear whether the "guest" was a boyfriend/girlfriend or an elderly relative coming over for a visit.

Edit: Eek, chrisjorg changed his name!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    No, I haven't, but from lale's post it wasn't entirely clear whether the "guest" was a boyfriend/girlfriend or an elderly relative coming over for a visit.

Edit: Eek, chrisjorg changed his name!
    Name not disclosed.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but now if anyone Googles "Christian Jørgensen", this thread will appear as a result... :p:

ReputationRep:
    Name not disclosed.

ReputationRep:
    I know the feeling with the lack of Google love, mate - when I just search for "Heather Ryan" I am nowhere to be found. I have to include words like "Oxford", "Cherwell" or "OUSFG" before I actually make an appearance...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Quistis)
    I know the feeling with the lack of Google love, mate - when I just search for "Heather Ryan" I am nowhere to be found. I have to include words like "Oxford", "Cherwell" or "OUSFG" before I actually make an appearance...
    That's far better than having every single Google hit for your last name actually refer to you, though...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Nearly all of the google hits for my name are me - but that's only since I've been at uni. You used to google my name and get nothing at all!

ReputationRep:
    yep google my name and you get 3 hits, every single one is referring to me, a bit worrying really

ReputationRep:
    My surname is a noun so it brings up all sorts of useless junk which has absolutely nothing to do with me.

ReputationRep:
    If you google my name in quote marks, the first 7 hits are all me. From the boatclub, and from theatre stuff. SUms up my time here quite well...

ReputationRep:
    I suffer from having a fairly common surname, and a first name that's pretty rare over here but common in America. I also suffer from sharing a name with a topless model (a Playmate of the Year back in the Sixties, no less).

ReputationRep:
    Googling my name brings up rebel farmers from Venezuela among other fantastic stuff. Fortunately I don't feature too much.

About the visits, I've had exactly the same from friends and family: they'll "come visit". Given it's a long way from Mexico, however, I doubt it'll happen too much.

And on the holidays you can come to Mexico!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Lots of people said they'd visit me, and haven't made the "trek" from Manchester/Birmingham/York/Bristol. When people look at the cost of train/plane tickets etc, they often rethink their plans.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.