Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    You would allow them to compete but if a Virgin train breaks down on the line for example, First would lose income and this could create major tensions. Also, if a third operator is created that offers commuters a better service, would they be allowed to operate?
    Most of the network has multiple tracks, and you already get very large amounts being used by multiple operators. Trains don't break down often and when they do exactly the same things happens as on the road: you go around them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nay. Ultimately I think this is a worse option than nationalisation, though it is an improvement over the status quo. I should also note that if both this and the Soc Bill go to division, people should only vote in favour of the one they prefer, since if both are passed, the one which is passed later will automatically repeal the former.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Nay. Ultimately I think this is a worse option than nationalisation, though it is an improvement over the status quo. I should also note that if both this and the Soc Bill go to division, people should only vote in favour of the one they prefer, since if both are passed, the one which is passed later will automatically repeal the former.
    Well I doubt there would be much crossover anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No, this bill has lots of problems in its current state which prevents me from supporting it. The first problem is allowing two companies to operate services on routes where frequency is above two per hour creates a situation where nearly all routes has two companies competing, allowing a duopoly to form, and difficulty when one service does something that prevents the other service from operating.

Where there is the preference for faster speeds, if companies with the fastest trains are given the contract because speed is seen as important, this point defeats itself when there are maximum speeds on lines for safety reasons, and where companies tend to bid using the same rolling stock.

Where compensation is stipulated for delayed trains, the train operating company who is not at fault for the delay should be able to claim compensation from the company who caused the delay, or British Railways if the fault with the tracks, or signals was caused by poor maintenance, or a lack of investment in modernising the infrastructure.

ReputationRep:
    What exactly is a competition franchise clause? If this bill is removing it to promote competition what exactly was protected by it that we'll now lose?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This bill is in cessation.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    Division! Clear the Lobbies!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.