Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    I moved the whole of ~/.config/xfce4 to my Desktop.

Then I restarted, and now my desktop has gone blue (it was purple before) and everything seems fine
    That is the default settings you see. If you remove the .config directory (which contains a lot of your settings ) xfce will recreate it next time it starts and use the default settings. Many programs work this way. I'm a bit puzzled why your xfce settings should cause those modinfo errors, but I guess the most important thing is that it works.

Basically any settings that affect only your user ( that is, settings you don't need to use a password or "sudo" to change ) will be stored this way. Most programs ( but not all ) will quite happily just recreate the default settings if you remove it's configuration directory. So moving, say, .mozilla from /home/juno will cause all mozilla applications ( like firefox or thunderbird ) to revert to their default.

This is also very useful when you want to upgrade your Linux system or change to another distribution. By keeping your /home directory you can even change from Ubuntu to Debian or even Gentoo or Red Hat, and any applications you still use will find your old configuration settings. I've been through 8 different operating systems on this computer (Novel SuSe, Ubuntu Breezy , gNewSense, Ubuntu Edgy, Fedora Core, Debian stable, Debian Testing, Ubuntu Feisty ) and I have only deleted my /home once. That was by accident when I ended up deleting the wrong directory recursively ( backups are a wonderful thing to have btw ).

ReputationRep:
    sudo apt-get remove xubuntu-desktop
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    sudo apt-get clean
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

that's how i'd have fixed it if it was really that ****ed. but if it's working now then it's all cool.

you have such bad luck with linux u sure you're not using a beta release? coz u started with xubuntu way before feisty was released....?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I don't know! I burnt a CD that willy told me to, and then I did the updates thing.

I think it's just because my computer is rubbish. But I'll be adopting my sister's soon, so you can all have the fun of helping me install Xubuntu on that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    I don't know! I burnt a CD that willy told me to, and then I did the updates thing.

I think it's just because my computer is rubbish. But I'll be adopting my sister's soon, so you can all have the fun of helping me install Xubuntu on that!
    what's the spec? i'd really highly recommend plain ubuntu if it can handle it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)

A slow computer shouldn't cause that type of problems thou. At worst you will run out of memory causing it to swap all the time thus slowing it down. When the hardware is the problem it is usually more related to things being unsupported, drivers that don't work etc than actually the specs of the components.

Having said that, on occasion you manage to fry your entire motherboard+RAM with a static discharge, as I managed to do some time ago. Basically, when touching the internal stuff, make damn sure you are grounded, and don't stand on a carpet when you do it. Learnt this the hard way... Oh well, at least it won't give you any Linux problems because your computer won't even get to the boot screen if you break it that bad...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I call it the "good computer"! It has a 40gb harddrive (you may laugh, but I currently have 6gb, and 12gb for windows), 256mb ram, and windows XP which won't start in safe mode but will in normal mode.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    Having said that, on occasion you manage to fry your entire motherboard+RAM with a static discharge, as I managed to do some time ago. Basically, when touching the internal stuff, make damn sure you are grounded, and don't stand on a carpet when you do it. Learnt this the hard way... Oh well, at least it won't give you any Linux problems because your computer won't even get to the boot screen if you break it that bad...
    I don't touch internal stuff. You're doing that for me :flutter:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    I call it the "good computer"! It has a 40gb harddrive (you may laugh, but I currently have 6gb, and 12gb for windows), 256mb ram, and windows XP which won't start in safe mode but will in normal mode.
    Who is laughing ?

[email protected]:~$ df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda6 9.2G 3.2G 5.6G 37% /
    varrun 316M 108K 316M 1% /var/run
    varlock 316M 0 316M 0% /var/lock
    procbususb 316M 104K 316M 1% /proc/bus/usb
    udev 316M 104K 316M 1% /dev
    devshm 316M 0 316M 0% /dev/shm
    lrm 316M 33M 283M 11% /lib/modules/2.6.20-16-generic/volatile
    /dev/sda5 15G 12G 2.4G 83% /home
    /dev/sda1 20G 19G 534M 98% /media/sda1
    /dev/sda8 19G 173M 18G 1% /media/sda8
    [email protected]:~$

So basically my root filesystem is 3.2 G. Yea, sure, I have some 12G of random crap lying around in /home, but that is not exactly stuff that is needed for the system. Also, until recently I was running this thing on about 384MB RAM. Oh, and when I talk about touching the internal stuff, I didn't mean system files. I meant literately touching the physical components... Basically, I'm running a system very similar to the one you are using ( Xubuntu feisty, fairly default install with some tweaks ).

Ok, my drive can technically hold 80GB or so, but I have never been even close to that.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I know you meant physical components! You're coming round my house to upgrade my computer.

Look, it says so on the internet, so it must be true

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea what any of this means... and im probably going to have to know when i play with my linux eventually...

i could suggest throwing your computor out the window? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoenix)
    I have no idea what any of this means... and im probably going to have to know when i play with my linux eventually...

i could suggest throwing your computor out the window? :p:
    your avvy is awesomely pretty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choad)
    your avvy is awesomely pretty.
    awww thank you :hugs:

check out my evil twin bro, 'Evil Phoenix's avatar :p:

anyway, nice to finally meet you at last :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    If I remember correctly again, you have got either a Pentium 2 350 or a pentium 3 450.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    If I remember correctly again, you have got either a Pentium 2 350 or a pentium 3 450.
    That's my computer though. It's a pentium 3 :proud:

ReputationRep:
    your sister's one, that has a celeron, although I cannot remember the exact speed, I think it's around the 1GHz mark.

ReputationRep:
    Pentium 2... yikes... Even I run a P4 these days.. I wonder if my uncle still has his 286 with the BIG floppy disks ... That thing is ace

ReputationRep:
    5 1/4 inch? Our old PC is still lying around somewhere with those :P

ReputationRep:
    up until last year my grandpa used a computer with only 5 1/4" drive, no 3.5" or anything. It ran Windows for Workgroups 3.1, and you had to type "Win" in DOS to actually access Windows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olileauk)
    up until last year my grandpa used a computer with only 5 1/4" drive, no 3.5" or anything. It ran Windows for Workgroups 3.1, and you had to type "Win" in DOS to actually access Windows.
    Pffffft

http://www.jefflewis.net/graphics/pr...screenshot.gif

No, that is not what Linux looks like without proprietary graphics drivers. It is the first computer game I ever played :p:

ReputationRep:
    what on earth is that?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 29, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.