Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoahMal)
    -4/-4 Firstly two negatives cancel out hence its 4/4 which is 1 therefore by mathematical induction it does not equal -8....
    I mean that's not mathematical induction, but sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    I thought it was undefined until this year and I'm a maths student lel. As far as I know it is generally accepted to be 1 but I can't recall why even though I have looked into it before.
    I think it is??? i dunno have to look at the video again since it's supposed to be one of those "not possible" things just like a fractions with a demoninator of 0 isn't possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegreatwhale)
    I think it is??? i dunno have to look at the video again since it's supposed to be one of those "not possible" things just like a fractions with a demoninator of 0 isn't possible.
    I think it mainly boils down to the fact that it is more convenient to have it equal to 1. In one sense, it technically is undefined, but it makes things make more sense in areas like set theory and discrete maths to have it equal 1.

ReputationRep:
    I think it mainly boils down to the fact that it is more convenient to have it equal to 1. In one sense, it technically is undefined, but it makes things make more sense in areas like set theory and discrete maths to have it equal 1.
    yea i guess

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was undefined until this year and I'm a maths student lel. As far as I know it is generally accepted to be 1 but I can't recall why even though I have looked into it before.
    It is frustrating, but you can just use this simple workaround:

1^0 = 2^0 = 1

\Rightarrow 1 = 2

\Rightarrow 0=1-1=2-1=1

I believe this lemma makes what you've done perfectly rigorous.

ReputationRep:
    its not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newblood)
    Erm no...
    Erm It was a joke rit calm down you little mug hole Or ill throw a Charmander at you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protoxylic)
    I mean that's not mathematical induction, but sure
    It was a joke mate...

ReputationRep:
    WAIT WHAT people, how can -4 / -4 be 1?! You're taking something less than zero and making it smaller and ending up with something greater than zero.

This is why I flopped Maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc:))
    WAIT WHAT people, how can -4 / -4 be 1?! You're taking something less than zero and making it smaller and ending up with something greater than zero.

u wot m8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoahMal)
    Erm It was a joke rit calm down you little mug hole Or ill throw a Charmander at you
    That was too subtle- nobody could see it- on a thread with such a 3rd grade question it's hard to see who's genuinely incompetent and who's kidding

ReputationRep:
    I know it is a bit quiet on TSR but this is ridiculous
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Assume that -4 \div -4 = -8.

But -4 \div -4 = 1.

CONTRADICTION

\therefore-4 \div -4 \neq -8

ReputationRep:

wtf?

how are you making it smaller?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    wtf?

how are you making it smaller?
    Because if you divide something, the new total is smaller. Half a pizza is smaller than a whole pizza... so I don't understand how -4 divided by anything can equal something greater than 0?

I don't do maths ok!!!! :colonhash:

ReputationRep:

Well, at least the last sentence makes sense

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Because if you divide something, the new total is smaller. Half a pizza is smaller than a whole pizza... so I don't understand how -4 divided by anything can equal something greater than 0?

I don't do maths ok!!!! :colonhash:
    This is the part which is incorrect

That's like saying "if you add something, the new total is bigger". Not necessarily. What happens if you add a negative number?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drandy76)
    Well, at least the last sentence makes sense

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol I'm being destroyed :laugh: I really need this explaining to me

ReputationRep:

That's like saying "if you add something, the new total is bigger". Not necessarily. What happens if you add a negative number?
    ohhhhh yeaaah.... penny drop! Thank you lol

ReputationRep:

Technically speaking it is getting smaller if we're only concerned with the magnitudes

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.