Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't agree with some of the reasons why some people voted Brexit watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James.Carnell)
    The typical default stance of the leave voter is now to covoer their ears to the world around them and absolve themselves of any responsibility.

So, tell us why YOU voted to leave. Will help us contextualise your disgust at fellow Out-ers

ReputationRep:
    :yawn: and here I was thinking I'd find something insightful...

sike!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    This is now the stock response of out voters to any criticism whatsoever. It's because they know what they've done and don't want to have to confront the enormity of it. Could you please stop being so precious and dissembling and take the rap for your own destructive actions?
    Yeah ok :rolleyes: Destructive actions? I'm yet to see any of this destruction actually form. Regardless, Brexit voters knew what would happen. In the short term there will be economic stability, I don't deny that. But in the long term we will be better off, and I will happily conform to the enormity of my decision knowing that we will regain sovereignty and open ourselves up to more opportunities with the world. The EU is a threat to democracy, and has shifted far away from its original purpose. That is why I voted leave, and I would do it again.

The behaviour of remain voters has quite frankly been disgusting. It's almost like a repeat of last year's general election, where anyone who voted conservative was called all sorts of names, and the regressive left went on an abusive rampage against anyone who didn't agree with their ideas. Democracy didn't go your way so now you won't shut up about how we're all doomed, headed for the apocalypse and the UK is going to crumble to pieces. Get over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTechN1304)
    Yeah ok :rolleyes: Destructive actions? I'm yet to see any of this destruction actually form. Regardless, Brexit voters knew what would happen. In the short term there will be economic stability, I don't deny that. But in the long term we will be better off, and I will happily conform to the enormity of my decision knowing that we will regain sovereignty and open ourselves up to more opportunities with the world. The EU is a threat to democracy, and has shifted far away from its original purpose. That is why I voted leave, and I would do it again.

The behaviour of remain voters has quite frankly been disgusting. It's almost like a repeat of last year's general election, where anyone who voted conservative was called all sorts of names, and the regressive left went on an abusive rampage against anyone who didn't agree with their ideas. Democracy didn't go your way so now you won't shut up about how we're all doomed, headed for the apocalypse and the UK is going to crumble to pieces. Get over it.
    if you actually bothered reading the full contents of my post, you will see that the economy is ****ed regardless of bremain or brexit. The only difference is that the brexit will move us to a financial meltdown quicker... which in itself is not a bad thing, Iceland did fine.

However, I take issue with the section brexit voters that are getting away with all sorts of racism and attacking people for voicing their discontent of the vote. So the majority voted for brexit... does that mean all criticism should stop? Well, I am amused that we are taking the authoritarian route, since we will be kowtowing to our Chinese masters soon enough. Newsflash, its democratic to debate and to protest.

The UK will collapse, its not a matter of "if" but a matter of "when". The UK is not too big to fail. People who say its a short term thing whereby the economy will suffer for a bit... who told you that?

My presentation has clear researched figures, if you can back up your economic counter claims then go ahead.

ReputationRep:
    Typically: open racism, blaming the unemployed, delusions of Britain's bargaining power with the EU.

I don't regret voting for Brexit because economically I think it is necessary, the EU is a sinking ship.

However, I hate the types of people that have come out in force. Confident that the referendum result has reinforced their bigotry. Yeah, have fun losing a significant wedge of diplomatic leverage, have fun kowtowing to your new Chinese Communist masters.

On a different point, I think the gradual descent into this situation was already well in earnest after the 2015 election. The turkeys voted for christmas. Because opposition parties are so ineffectual, we voted for a government that has been useless at repairing the economy and are hellbent on creating a social environment where all of the disenfranchised get attacked.

1. If you are disabled, you are on your own. Sorry.
    2. If you are unemployed then it must always be your fault! Stop feeling sorry for yourself! Never mind the totally decimated economy we are facing right now. The Tories are in power so the economy is actually doing great and you're just not trying hard enough! I am sorry, but this is just an older generation and deluded people being totally unreasonable. Baby boomers ate from the cradles of their children with the economic choices they made. Then they pull the drawbridge up and tell us to all work harder. It is a lot of rubbish.
    3. Fear of UKIP has led to a harsh shift towards targeting migrants. The Conservatives have legitimized this shift. Of course, we all know that this means anyone that is not white and British. Don't get this twisted, its all about racism. And believe me, underneath the thin surface this country is very racist. We have a lot of good people but there is a significant amount of people that are very keen to dish it out to anyone that is not white British.
    4. Idiotic notions such as 'positive discrimination' are perpetuated. They are drops in the ocean in the context of the overall picture. Let's get this straight, if you're white and male, you have a much better chance than everyone else at gaining opportunities because believe it or not, there is a lot of favouritism working in your favour. People pretend that we live in a post racial society. If anything, the current climate is every bit as volatile as the 80s.
    5. Societal fragmentation from inequality. The haves and have nots. The gap is ever wider between the rich and poor. The middle class are getting 'rekt' but their debt fueled lifestyles pay for their pretensions of privilege. This inequality is constantly shoved in our faces in the media and social media. This leads to totally fractured communities. Money divides people, many of the haves start thinking that the have nots must be poor because its their own fault.

Tory Britain everyone.

Again, I must reiterate, this **** show has been allowed to go on because opposition parties have been so ineffectual at presenting themselves. The Conservatives have been so ineffectual at managing debt levels, their apparent economic pedigree is farcical in the present day. Their approach? Kick the can further down the road. They know we are economically doomed but are happy to exacerbate societal divisions to maintain power.

For an explanation of the economic reality regardless of a Brexit or Bremain I have attached a presentation I prepared:
    You have some good points and some less than good points, but such is difference of opinion.

I do however think you should change the title of your post, it's unfairly insulting and inflammatory. Probably for the best if you feel what you have to say is important, or people will just report it and get this locked down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Studentus-anonymous)
    You have some good points and some less than good points, but such is difference of opinion.

I do however think you should change the title of your post, it's unfairly insulting and inflammatory. Probably for the best if you feel what you have to say is important, or people will just report it and get this locked down.
    He appears unwilling or unable to understand that he undermines his argument with that thread title.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viffer)
    He appears unwilling or unable to understand that he undermines his argument with that thread title.
    Ah, shame.

Was worth a try though.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    if you actually bothered reading the full contents of my post, you will see that the economy is ****ed regardless of bremain or brexit. The only difference is that the brexit will move us to a financial meltdown quicker... which in itself is not a bad thing, Iceland did fine.

However, I take issue with the section brexit voters that are getting away with all sorts of racism and attacking people for voicing their discontent of the vote. So the majority voted for brexit... does that mean all criticism should stop? Well, I am amused that we are taking the authoritarian route, since we will be kowtowing to our Chinese masters soon enough. Newsflash, its democratic to debate and to protest.

The UK will collapse, its not a matter of "if" but a matter of "when". The UK is not too big to fail. People who say its a short term thing whereby the economy will suffer for a bit... who told you that?

My presentation has clear researched figures, if you can back up your economic counter claims then go ahead.
    I agree with what you're saying about racism. I find it deplorable that people have turned a vote that at its core is about British independence into an excuse to be racist. However, that is not my fault, neither is that the fault of Brexit.

ReputationRep:

I hate this "Iceland did fine". I am from Iceland, and Iceland did not do fine. The value of the króna was at half for about 4 years, everything was, and still is super expensive and a lot of people, although it isn´t publicised, have lived in poverty. The only saving grace of Iceland is that its population is so low that the government was able to somewhat take care of people. There is not a cat´s chance in hell that Britain will be able to do as "fine" as Iceland. This is due to the apathy of the government, the selfish aging population, and the under educated people- most of whom voted leave, not to mention the fact that Britain has hardly any tourism (which I believe is the reason that Iceland is still somewhat afloat and finally doing better) and imports most of its energy where Iceland has an almost unlimited supply.

It is also due in part to the apathy of the British people; say what you like about Iceland, but over a tenth of the population was protesting in the street when the Icelandic PM´s tax free funds were discovered in April. All I have seen here is a few petitions for a second referendum and Leave voters who "didn´t think their vote would count" crying over what could possibly be one of the worst decisions in recent British history.

Sure, let´s be like Iceland, where everything is "perfect", because it is totally feasible to compare a population of over 60 million where no-one gives a toss, to a tiny Island in the middle of the Atlantic with a population of 330,000 people, with geothermal energy and a massive tourist industry, which was never actually in the EU in the first place. Totally the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    "Let's get this straight, if you're white and male, you have a much better chance than everyone else at gaining opportunities because believe it or not, there is a lot of favouritism working in your favour."

I really hate it when people say stuff like this. If you are female and go to university and study physics or engineering you are often entitled to a bursary designed to get women into these fields. You'll find it MUCH easier to get a job than a 'comparable' male because companies have to fill quotas for hiring. There's also lots of help out there for ethnic minorities. You just need to look for it.

So bottom line is, if you don't come across as confident in interview as a grammar school educated, white, British male, then you don't deserve the job. It's not always racism. Sometimes you're just not good enough...

ReputationRep:
    Typically: open racism, blaming the unemployed, delusions of Britain's bargaining power with the EU.

I don't regret voting for Brexit because economically I think it is necessary, the EU is a sinking ship.

However, I hate the types of people that have come out in force. Confident that the referendum result has reinforced their bigotry. Yeah, have fun losing a significant wedge of diplomatic leverage, have fun kowtowing to your new Chinese Communist masters.

On a different point, I think the gradual descent into this situation was already well in earnest after the 2015 election. The turkeys voted for christmas. Because opposition parties are so ineffectual, we voted for a government that has been useless at repairing the economy and are hellbent on creating a social environment where all of the disenfranchised get attacked.

1. If you are disabled, you are on your own. Sorry.
    2. If you are unemployed then it must always be your fault! Stop feeling sorry for yourself! Never mind the totally decimated economy we are facing right now. The Tories are in power so the economy is actually doing great and you're just not trying hard enough! I am sorry, but this is just an older generation and deluded people being totally unreasonable. Baby boomers ate from the cradles of their children with the economic choices they made. Then they pull the drawbridge up and tell us to all work harder. It is a lot of rubbish.
    3. Fear of UKIP has led to a harsh shift towards targeting migrants. The Conservatives have legitimized this shift. Of course, we all know that this means anyone that is not white and British. Don't get this twisted, its all about racism. And believe me, underneath the thin surface this country is very racist. We have a lot of good people but there is a significant amount of people that are very keen to dish it out to anyone that is not white British.
    4. Idiotic notions such as 'positive discrimination' are perpetuated. They are drops in the ocean in the context of the overall picture. Let's get this straight, if you're white and male, you have a much better chance than everyone else at gaining opportunities because believe it or not, there is a lot of favouritism working in your favour. People pretend that we live in a post racial society. If anything, the current climate is every bit as volatile as the 80s.
    5. Societal fragmentation from inequality. The haves and have nots. The gap is ever wider between the rich and poor. The middle class are getting 'rekt' but their debt fueled lifestyles pay for their pretensions of privilege. This inequality is constantly shoved in our faces in the media and social media. This leads to totally fractured communities. Money divides people, many of the haves start thinking that the have nots must be poor because its their own fault.

Tory Britain everyone.

Again, I must reiterate, this **** show has been allowed to go on because opposition parties have been so ineffectual at presenting themselves. The Conservatives have been so ineffectual at managing debt levels, their apparent economic pedigree is farcical in the present day. Their approach? Kick the can further down the road. They know we are economically doomed but are happy to exacerbate societal divisions to maintain power.

For an explanation of the economic reality regardless of a Brexit or Bremain I have attached a presentation I prepared:
    People like you are a part of why Remain lost it. Making us Remain voters looking like small-minded weirdos living in a bubble who can't comprehend anybody else's viewpoints because we're too out of touch with normal people. Get over yourself, you're not above it all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1010marina)
    "Let's get this straight, if you're white and male, you have a much better chance than everyone else at gaining opportunities because believe it or not, there is a lot of favouritism working in your favour."

I really hate it when people say stuff like this. If you are female and go to university and study physics or engineering you are often entitled to a bursary designed to get women into these fields. You'll find it MUCH easier to get a job than a 'comparable' male because companies have to fill quotas for hiring. There's also lots of help out there for ethnic minorities. You just need to look for it.

So bottom line is, if you don't come across as confident in interview as a grammar school educated, white, British male, then you don't deserve the job. It's not always racism. Sometimes you're just not good enough...
    Haha, the whole Brit white exceptionalism ********. Don't gaslight, it is beneath you. "Confident" LOL, yeah. That is where the credibility of your viewpoints end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aurora_Boreal1s)
    I hate this "Iceland did fine". I am from Iceland, and Iceland did not do fine. The value of the króna was at half for about 4 years, everything was, and still is super expensive and a lot of people, although it isn´t publicised, have lived in poverty. The only saving grace of Iceland is that its population is so low that the government was able to somewhat take care of people. There is not a cat´s chance in hell that Britain will be able to do as "fine" as Iceland. This is due to the apathy of the government, the selfish aging population, and the under educated people- most of whom voted leave, not to mention the fact that Britain has hardly any tourism (which I believe is the reason that Iceland is still somewhat afloat and finally doing better) and imports most of its energy where Iceland has an almost unlimited supply.

It is also due in part to the apathy of the British people; say what you like about Iceland, but over a tenth of the population was protesting in the street when the Icelandic PM´s tax free funds were discovered in April. All I have seen here is a few petitions for a second referendum and Leave voters who "didn´t think their vote would count" crying over what could possibly be one of the worst decisions in recent British history.

Sure, let´s be like Iceland, where everything is "perfect", because it is totally feasible to compare a population of over 60 million where no-one gives a toss, to a tiny Island in the middle of the Atlantic with a population of 330,000 people, with geothermal energy and a massive tourist industry, which was never actually in the EU in the first place. Totally the same thing.
    That is what they voted for though in the general election, so that is what they are prepared for. I will laugh when **** hits the fan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    People like you are a part of why Remain lost it. Making us Remain voters looking like small-minded weirdos living in a bubble who can't comprehend anybody else's viewpoints because we're too out of touch with normal people. Get over yourself, you're not above it all.
    What? Where did I say that they are all Nazis? It is more that I suggest that the referendum result emboldened a significant minority of them to come out in idiotic force. There is a hell of a lot of bigoted idiots and it is you that is out of touch if you don't comprehend this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTechN1304)
    I agree with what you're saying about racism. I find it deplorable that people have turned a vote that at its core is about British independence into an excuse to be racist. However, that is not my fault, neither is that the fault of Brexit.
    It is the fault of many brexiters, because they are the ones that used the referendum result as an excuse for their blatant racism and bigotry. Farage's campaigns for example. The attacks on migrant shops, arson, stabbings. Look, your campaign has blood on its hands for failing to rein these people in. To absolve yourself of any responsibility is what is really deplorable.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    It is the apathy and low turnout among the young that bothers me. I think the vocal minority are the ones that voted, but so many are just so passive.
    18-24 turnout was reasonably good actually. Nowhere near as low as first reported. And the vast majority voted Remain.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Haha, the whole Brit white exceptionalism ********. Don't gaslight, it is beneath you. "Confident" LOL, yeah. That is where the credibility of your viewpoints end.
    But you can't deny that there are very, very efficient measures to open access to all genders, ethnic minorities, etc.

Beyond that - upper class students are more likely to go to grammar school... Be raised positively... They're more likely to be confident and it's no secret that interview performance often trumps the candidate's skillset on paper. So yes. You have an advantage if you are white and male and go to a grammar school. But statistically speaking white boys in your run of the mill state school are most likely to fall behind and struggle. So really there are benefits and drawbacks. And if you think "confidence" isn't a benefit for securing a job then you're going to struggle getting one. Toodles.

ReputationRep:
    I have no issue being labelled as disgusting by people such as you.

ReputationRep:
    aw, poor you. you lost a referendum. blame "racism". whatever makes you feel better.
    but you're on the wrong side of history here. democracy and border-control are simply more important than what the EU ever gave us.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.