Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    I don't care about games but lots of smaller institutions like research projects or museums have their own apps and whilst they're generally available on Apple and Android, they're not available on Windows Mobile. That's the main issue for me.
    true that. the NHS app is a big example of the problem but am surprised more people arent developing universal apps for desktop (windows 10 apps are universal, which means that if you develop an app for the desktop, then the same app can automatically be used on windows tablets, xboxes and even windows phones). the phone market share in the uk may have fallen to 5.6% from ~12% last year but the desktop market share you have to admit isnt something which should be ignored. eitherway, if the nexus deals are still on, ill probably end up with the nexus. if not ill go for the 650 (that or an ipod touch, - wileyfox swift has been ruled out due to issues i encountered borrowing a mate's handset)
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    Windows is a dead OS, don't even bother.

5X is a solid phone, just make sure not to get the 16GB one or you'll find yourself running out of space v quick.
    i thought it came with a micro sd card slot?! (if not, bye bye nexus). my galaxy s4 has a slot and, whilst it doesnt have a slot, my 1020 has 64gb storage (of which I have used 40gb+ ).

speaking of galaxys, do they still have facial recognition? I dont know any s7/e users talk about it so has samsung removed it or is it something dont bother with these days?

ReputationRep:
    5x. Windows is so bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    i thought it came with a micro sd card slot?! (if not, bye bye nexus). my galaxy s4 has a slot and, whilst it doesnt have a slot, my 1020 has 64gb storage (of which I have used 40gb+ ).

speaking of galaxys, do they still have facial recognition? I dont know any s7/e users talk about it so has samsung removed it or is it something dont bother with these days?
    No, if it's the 16GB one on sale don't bother, it's a great phone but even a casual user will passively but surely use up the pitiful 11GB available on the Nexus.

You will not use facial, iris or whatever gimmick, they're novelties and will never become a standard over the fingerprint or screen lock.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    No, if it's the 16GB one on sale don't bother, it's a great phone but even a casual user will passively but surely use up the pitiful 11GB available on the Nexus.

You will not use facial, iris or whatever gimmick, they're novelties and will never become a standard over the fingerprint or screen lock.
    with nexus, can you sync app data to onedrive (i have 1tb onedrive storage and is helpful for my lumia)/ have cross platform data share?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    with nexus, can you sync app data to onedrive (i have 1tb onedrive storage and is helpful for my lumia)/ have cross platform data share?
    Not sure but either way cloud storage is not viable on anything but the most expensive data plans and it's inconvenient regardless.

If you think you're gonna use more than 16gb don't get the nexus. Giffgaff have the Huawei P9 Lite for 199, viable alternative
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Not sure but either way cloud storage is not viable on anything but the most expensive data plans and it's inconvenient regardless.

If you think you're gonna use more than 16gb don't get the nexus. Giffgaff have the Huawei P9 Lite for 199, viable alternative
    the huwei is overbudget but more pressingly it is sadly 1 of the handsets i have tried and am not a fan, but it is a nice phone) the ideal budget for me was £150 or less but the nexus slightly crept it up. the real challange is getting a cheap phone to last me till next year may.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.