Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Your worst food/cooking nightmares? watch

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Tried microwaving some butter in its tinfoil after a night shift...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaholme)
    Tried microwaving some butter in its tinfoil after a night shift...
    I'm guessing sparks flew that day, in more ways than one.

ReputationRep:
    During one of may parents separations they took me to a local pub for a meal and like any young teenager I had some food hang ups so hearing that I thought something was 'off' or tasted bad was not unusual. However it was always met with 'just eat it' really, as any normal parent would obviously say. So, not wanting to cause any more trouble in an awkward situation I took a bite of the weird looking steak...I was right, you should never eat green steak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    During one of may parents separations they took me to a local pub for a meal and like any young teenager I had some food hang ups so hearing that I thought something was 'off' or tasted bad was not unusual. However it was always met with 'just eat it' really, as any normal parent would obviously say. So, not wanting to cause any more trouble in an awkward situation I took a bite of the weird looking steak...I was right, you should never eat green steak.
    I hope you didn't feel poorly after eating it! Did you ever tell your parents about it in the end?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhimsicalSloth)
    I hope you didn't feel poorly after eating it! Did you ever tell your parents about it in the end?
    Yeah, after a couple of bites :puke: thankfully it was plain to see so I was the only one who ate it.

Surprisingly no food poisoning! I did get it from a beef burger at a friends bday BBQ the weekend before my A2 exams though

ReputationRep:
    Adding 6 tablespoons of salt to an omelette... never doing that again :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    Yeah, after a couple of bites :puke: thankfully it was plain to see so I was the only one who ate it.

Surprisingly no food poisoning! I did get it from a beef burger at a friends bday BBQ the weekend before my A2 exams though
    Ahh that's a relief all the same I would say complain but I've never complained in a restaurant before, nor wanted to because I know how hard people work in that business. Food poisoning is no joke though so I hope it wasn't too bad in the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sulaimanali)
    Adding 6 tablespoons of salt to an omelette... never doing that again :P
    :lol: What on earth made you think that was a good idea?! I remember I made a load of tasty mashed potato fairly recently and went to sprinkle a tiny amount of salt into the saucepan, when the lid fell off and an avalanche of salt promptly fell into my delicious fluffy portion of mashed potato. I was literally struck dumb for five seconds as I stared in horror.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    I either undercook or overcook everything :laugh: I don't think I've ever cooked anything to perfection, not even toast

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And me!

I once picked up what I thought was apple pie (I'm partially sighted, btw) and poured some custard on it. At some point, I realised what I was eating was quiche. It's, um, interesting. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    :lol: What on earth made you think that was a good idea?! I remember I made a load of tasty mashed potato fairly recently and went to sprinkle a tiny amount of salt into the saucepan, when the lid fell off and an avalanche of salt promptly fell into my delicious fluffy portion of mashed potato. I was literally struck dumb for five seconds as I stared in horror.
    Basically...I wanted to start learning to cook, so my mum was showing me how to make an omelette. She used 2 or 3 eggs and put 6 tablespoons or teaspoons of salt in it. So, I, totally lost, forgot to half or third that amount and so I just used 6 table or tea spoons and it was awful.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh that's a relief all the same I would say complain but I've never complained in a restaurant before, nor wanted to because I know how hard people work in that business. Food poisoning is no joke though so I hope it wasn't too bad in the end.
    Haha yes! Food poisoning is horrible.

We did complain, you should try to build up to doing this (in certain situations obv). It's not like we are wealthy so we've always gone by the rule of if we've gone out for a treat then we should complain if it's bad because we've worked hard for the money to go there. I mean where it's really over or under cooked, basically anything that is below 'neutral to eat'.

One time we were at a restaurant where all our food was soooo overcooked they replaced it, gave us free desserts and took it off our bill!!! For a family of four!

ReputationRep:
    Once, I left a pan on a stove without anything in it for too long. When I put in the pasta sauce in the pan it set on fire for a brief second (like those moments when a chef sets his pan on fire and it looks bomb af). Nothing happened but I have never made pasta since -.-

ReputationRep:
    Staying in food tech for 4 hours when my recepie should have taken 1 hour.

ReputationRep:
    Putting food in the oven, go to check on it half an hour later, realised oven wasn't even switched on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Remember me that I have eaten spaghetti with a disgusting sauce, both cooked by my friend at that time. That was a nightmare, all the more as the kitchen looked like a battle field after that.

ReputationRep:
    I almost set fire to my kitchen in halls in my second week

I put the pan lid on the hob next hob I was using. Unfortunately I turned on the wrong hob. I was wondering why the water wasn't heating up when I suddenly became aware of the smell of the burning plastic handle on the top of the pan lid. Of course I panicked and tried to move it, but the handle was so melted all I took off was the handle and the rest of the pan lid was left behind. I then dropped it on a plastic bag where it then melted the plastic bag.

After that I did a lot less cooking in halls

ReputationRep:
    Made chocolate chip biscuits just fine.
    But then I left em in the oven after they were perfectly done. House nearly went up in flames.

ReputationRep:
    When I was about 14 a couple of friends and I tried to cook for a teacher, they left me in charge of main dish. Being Asian, I had never cooked rice in anything but a rice cooker, and when I tried to cook it on the stove it became... porridge, and I tried to make fried rice with that stuff x'D Oh boy did it look like puke......

That experience was what inspired me to learn how to cook properly...... I never want to repeat that embarrassment again lol

ReputationRep:
    Was making a gingerbread house at Christmas and the instructions said to put some form of weight on the top of it to keep it flat... Being me, I picked up the first tin I could find which happened to be a tin of dog food. It was all going fine until I put the last wall in and at this point the tin of dog food had got rather hot and proceeded to explode in the oven, covering my gingerbread in hot, smelly dog food and blowing the fuse on the oven so it didn't work.

Safe to say I haven't tried making another gingerbread house since, but my dogs definitely enjoyed their special Christmas treat that year.

ReputationRep:
    We were given cupcakes, but one of them had been spiked with cauliflower cheese baby food. I was the unlucky soul who ate about half the cake in one mouthful, and ended up nearly being sick for the rest of the day.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.