Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    Do as many past papers as you can and soon enough you'll realise that the same types of questions come up each year even though they may be 'disguised' in the application questions.

Whilst doing a past paper, if there is a question you can't do circle it and come back to it at the end. Instead of just going straight to the mark scheme, try using your other resources such as your textbook or revision guide and read the explanation for that topic first and then see if you can apply that information to your question. There may also be youtube channels that go through past papers for your exam board and so you could watch the part of the video for your question so you can see exactly how they did the question and perfect your technique instead of just getting the answer for that 1 question.

When you have time (maybe 10-15 minutes a day this summer or something), print off the specification. Then get your textbook and do a range of questions (some of the easier ones at the beginning and the later harder ones) for each point on the spec. Mark these questions and if you feel comfortable enough with the topic, tick it off and move on. If not, highlight this so you can see the areas you need to target and you have lots of time to work on these areas before exam season.

I never did any of these and only did past papers but I really do think that they would be quite useful. Good luck and I hope you achieve a C or above next year. With a bit of hard work, there's no reason that you couldn't get an A* - one year is more than enough time for a turnaround
    In definite agreement with this. Practice not until you start to get the questions (of a particular topic) right, practice until you no longer get the questions wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Witham.lh)
    A goal at the end of next year is to achieve a C in GCSE maths. I am really not very good at maths and would love to open that result on exams day and not be disappointed but rather pleased and proud of myself but how do I do it any tips would really help thank you
    YouTube videos worked like a charm for me, those alongside a lot of past papers, questions and continuous repetition of the two got me from a D to an A* in a few months, like 3-4 months.

But remember, A LOT of time is required, may seem impossible but it isn't (Talking from experience )

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good have you got any youtube channels you could recommend.

(Original post by hamza772000)
    YouTube videos worked like a charm for me, those alongside a lot of past papers, questions and continuous repetition of the two got me from a D to an A* in a few months, like 3-4 months.

But remember, A LOT of time is required, may seem impossible but it isn't (Talking from experience )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Witham.lh)
    Sounds good have you got any youtube channels you could recommend.
    For past paper solutions, I'd watch 'Achieve Maths' and 'Wright Maths' (I think that's the name ) then you have 'Hegarty Maths' for individual topics

but just get a revision guide, put individual topics, from the contents page, into the search box and you'll find many videos

ReputationRep:
    This is a good website(has worksheets on individual topics and videos):http://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/gcse.html
    However this website is for Edexcel board but may have some topics that aqa board might have so you may find helpful.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really have tips for the whole gcse mathematics syllabus but i do find if there are certain things i always make mistakes on or forget (such as necessary formulas) I just have to write them on a post stick note and stick them somewhere in my room or anywhere in the house where I'm forced to look at it everyday. For example I have notes on my ceiling above my bed so I have to see them when I wake up and go to sleep and on the back of the bathroom door so I have to see them when I go to the loo or brush my teeth etc, my mum was a little annoyed at first but shes fine with it now lol. Doing this will help stop the silly mistakes that can be the difference between grade boundaries.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.