Missing Oxbridge offer? Watch

pianofingers
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
In IB the grade cannot go down, your original grade is protected. Either the grade stays the same or it can go up.

The only loss will be a financial one.
~Lc~
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by generalebriety)
Yep.

Though I think he was talking more about the financial risk. Costs like £40 per paper in some cases. (Edit: well, not necessarily accurate, because I'm talking from an A-level perspective. :p: But something like that.)
it's 85$ per subject for IB :p:
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by naimslim89)
In IB the grade cannot go down, your original grade is protected. Either the grade stays the same or it can go up.

Oh, sorry. :p:

(Original post by ~Lc~)
it's 85$ per subject for IB :p:
Bah... why is the IB so much fairer than A-level? :p:
toothwort white
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
But in regard to the grade won't go down after the remark, does it refer to the grade of each paper or each subject?
~Lc~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by generalebriety)

Bah... why is the IB so much fairer than A-level? :p:
IB? fair?

out!:hmmm:

:p:

(Original post by silver_charm)
But in regard to the grade won't go down after the remark, does it refer to the grade of each paper or each subject?
overall one, i.e if you got a 4 and got a 3 in remark the grade you will get on your diploma will still be a 4
toothwort white
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ~Lc~)
IB? fair?

out!:hmmm:

:p:

overall one, i.e if you got a 4 and got a 3 in remark the grade you will get on your diploma will still be a 4
but what if..let's say, originally i got a 5 in english paper 1 and a 7 in paper 2. but will it be tht i got a 7 in paper 1 and a 5 in paper 2 after the remark and therefore no rise in the overall grade?
Lykabelle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by naimslim89)

ah you IB guys are lucky your grades don't go down after remarks unlike A levels. One of my friends last year missed out on a grade A by a couple of marks and so missed her 3 A offer for Durham university. So she sent off a paper for a remark and the mark went down by over 20 marks....so unfair!

Good luck to everyone waiting for remark results
~Lc~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
but what if..let's say, originally i got a 5 in english paper 1 and a 7 in paper 2. but will it be tht i got a 7 in paper 1 and a 5 in paper 2 after the remark and therefore no rise in the overall grade?
no, they won't think "oh she got a 7 there a 7 there let's put them together".. if that's what you were asking...
but if you get a 7 the first time around, it's very unlikely you'll get reduced to a 5... the marking of the previous examiner will still be on your paper so the new examiner might be influenced by the grading...
toothwort white
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ~Lc~)
no, they won't think "oh she got a 7 there a 7 there let's put them together".. if that's what you were asking...
but if you get a 7 the first time around, it's very unlikely you'll get reduced to a 5... the marking of the previous examiner will still be on your paper so the new examiner might be influenced by the grading...
ahh...thanks *much more relieved*
SunderX
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well, at least you didn't get a 4 in paper one. I have no idea how that happened, it dragged my overall grade down to a 6. Was your mark as unexpected as well?

Not going to remark though, really can't be bothered to fill in that last point.
tinypony
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by SunderX)
Well, at least you didn't get a 4 in paper one. I have no idea how that happened, it dragged my overall grade down to a 6. Was your mark as unexpected as well?

Not going to remark though, really can't be bothered to fill in that last point.
As long as you meet your offer, nothing else matters. It is a common perception that high school grades are a very poor indicator of future prospects, since (quoting another TSR member): "A moneky with a pencil could obtain AAA at A-level".
toothwort white
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

Yes..I really expected a solid 7, but because of paper 1 now all I've got is a 6! *sigh*
SunderX
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yes..I really expected a solid 7, but because of paper 1 now all I've got is a 6! *sigh*
I think I have it from my IBC that nobody in our A1 HL class of 16 or so students got a 7, which I find fairly strange. Apart from that paper 1 mark I had 7's in all the other sections, except for orals which got moderated down to a high 6. I even had full marks in world lit. *sigh*

I came out of that exam thinking i did pretty well; I guess it's more subjective than I thought. From the May 2006 statistics bulletin it seems only 3% of IB students get a 7 in Eng A1 HL
toothwort white
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think I have it from my IBC that nobody in our A1 HL class of 16 or so students got a 7, which I find fairly strange. Apart from that paper 1 mark I had 7's in all the other sections, except for orals which got moderated down to a high 6. I even had full marks in world lit. *sigh*

I came out of that exam thinking i did pretty well; I guess it's more subjective than I thought. From the May 2006 statistics bulletin it seems only 3% of IB students get a 7 in Eng A1 HL
me too, I got 7s in both world lit and paper 2, 1 mark from a 7 in oral (after it was marked down by those IB examiners)...and after looking at the grade boundary I realised I am actually only 1.4% away from 7. :mad:
nota bene
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
What's up with paper 1?

Seems to be the same for me in Swedish, got a 7 on orals, a 22 point on paper 2 (which must mean one point off a 7), a 6 for WL (well, strange considering what my teacher thought of it!) and then a 5 for paper 1 - the one paper I was actually satisfied with

Waiting for remark...
SunderX
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by nota bene)
What's up with paper 1?

Seems to be the same for me in Swedish, got a 7 on orals, a 22 point on paper 2 (which must mean one point off a 7), a 6 for WL (well, strange considering what my teacher thought of it!) and then a 5 for paper 1 - the one paper I was actually satisfied with

Waiting for remark...
Wow, 23 points is a pretty high boundary for paper 2, there must be a lot of Swedish literacists out there. Yes, I did just make up that word. And no, I don't think that's why I got a 4 in paper one... I hope. I guess IB really screwed us all in paper 1. I really don't understand how it could happen; either the IB is not being clear in what it wants from us, our teachers are not preparing us properly or the examiners are a bunch of prehistoric troglodytes who can only read in Shakespearean english.

Anyway, good luck with the remark

silver_charm - Heh, I know what you mean. By my excel calculations, my final english percentage was 75.6%, which can't be too far off a 7. Do you happen to know the grade boundary for A1 english, cause we never got it from our IBC?
toothwort white
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

silver_charm - Heh, I know what you mean. By my excel calculations, my final english percentage was 75.6%, which can't be too far off a 7. Do you happen to know the grade boundary for A1 english, cause we never got it from our IBC?
i think for English A1 HL, you need 80 or more to obtain a 7.
Latin127
Report 11 years ago
From the May 2006 statistics bulletin it seems only 3% of IB students get a 7 in Eng A1 HL
compared to about 20% A level getting an A. Why is the IB so determined to screw its students compared to A level and presumably other exam boards?
metaphysical
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
guess whos just been rejected.
option 1- suicide
option 2- a life of suffering

i choose 1.
tinypony
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by metaphysical)
guess whos just been rejected.
option 1- suicide
option 2- a life of suffering

i choose 1.
Metaphysical, while I do not know what you are going through, I strongly contemplated the possibility of missing my offer. While the prospects look gloomy now, there is still the possibility of doing a great gap year and re-applying. I know for sure that Oxford would never give out a 42 point offer (which I myself would have missed), so if you were to apply I would strongly encourage you to choose Oxford. You would almost assuredly get an interview with that outstanding score of 39 points, trust me it is. And you would get in as you have already proven your intelligence (otherwise why would you have gotten an offer and not someone else?).
If you decide not to reapply (which I think everyone completely would understand, as it is a lot of hassle) then you can still go to other great schools in Europe. University of Copenhagen is deemed as one of the strongest places in humanistic academia (including jurisprudence, they have an awesome faculty), there are amazing schools in France, Switzerland, Austria etc.
Consider your options, and seriously, while I hope your comment was not meant seriously, do not contemplate suicide. You have your whole life in front of you, do not end it early.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (520)
80.62%
Leave (125)
19.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise