Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Rejected my best guy friend...don't know what to do to make it better Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhsc)
    Turning someone down because you're too close or friends is the dumbest **** ever. Take a risk. Don't be so pathetic.
    Shut, Mr Pathetic. Maybe it was an accident, which I'm fairly confident it was.

ReputationRep:
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do"
    /Endthread

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j-C9r9yC_Q

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll end up being flatmates and still have those feelings and even if you don't get together there may be arguments if you pull other people. Maybe when you're flatmates you can see where it goes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mvine001)
    Shut, Mr Pathetic. Maybe it was an accident, which I'm fairly confident it was.
    That's a hell of a lot of accidents. If you choose not to believe in gravity, you're still stuck to the ground.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marmex)
    Hello, so I've never really done this before but I'm desperate for help.

In my group of friends at Uni there was this guy. Didn't think much of him for the first semester but when we returned from Winter break we got to know each other better and very quickly became very close friends. We started hanging out alone a lot. One drunken night we ended up kissing. We talked about it the day after and agreed everything was good between us and that it was "no big deal".
    However, a week or so later he promised to take me to the train station at 5 AM so we stayed up all night together instead of sleeping. We watched movies and stuff but in the middle of it ended up kissing again. We laughed it off and claimed if we were both mature people it didn't have to affect our friendship just like he previous time hadn't. While I was away we talked every day and he told me he missed me and stuff. We promised we wouldn't do anything stupid because next year we were going to be flatmates and we didn't want to ruin anything (our friends were already hassling us about being too close and such).

However, as you all probably guessed, we didn't really stick to our word and stuff kept happening between us. He admitted to having feelings a few weeks before summer and I admitted to feeling something as well, but we promised we would go about summer normally, since we weren't together or anything and would be apart for 4 months. Yet, it was kind of evident that both of us were unsure of how the other would feel if either of us hooked up with someone else while we were away. We kept talking during the summer, cute words would be exchanged from time to time and we talked on the phone occasionally when we had something important to catch up on as well.

However, yesterday night while he was out drinking with his friends, he put me on the spot and texted me asking for a clear answer on whether we would be together when we came back in September or not. It was a very hard decision for me to make, especially because I hadn't expected to have to deal with the situation until September, but I had to tell him that due to the circumstances (living together during the upcoming academic year, and being in the same group of friends, and being such close friends) that we might be better off as friends.
    He respected my decision but soon got very frustrated at me and my reasoning. He told me he finally realized the saying "nice guys finish last" was true and that he would need a couple days or so to "reconsider his perspective on things" and figure things out.
    I understand that I have to give him his space and let him cool off. However, I am terrified that I have just lost my best friend and worried he won't want to live with me next year (we are staying with two other people in the flat as well).

Any thoughts on what I should do or what to expect of him are all appreciated..!!
    i think you should get together , u both have feelings for each other , whether being just friends or not , feelings will still be there . Theres no point in being just friends and carrying on the way you are i.e : late nights etc... , it is just going to make the feelings worse . Either you get with him or end it here

sorry if that sounds harsh but speaking from experience it will benefit you both

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marmex)
    Thanks jaja yeah, no, I'm aware it's not going to be an easy task. But I'm hoping we can both be mature about things and not let feelings get the best of us or drive us to do something that would have us back on treacherous waters.
    Unfortunately feelings have nothing to do with maturity here.

You're going to find yourself in the awkward position where he doesn't know how much time to spend hanging out with you.

Worst case scenario, you end with a flat mate that you live with when he or you decide that you just need to stay away from each other for a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Lol obviously he's not exactly your guy best friend, sounds like a little more than that. You're sending him mixed signals, kissing him then pushing him away, kissing him then pushing him away, then he asks you out and you reject. Seriously? Go through with your feelings, you obviously feel something more from him. Either way things are going to be awkward, you might as well give t hings ago, he probably sees you in a different light now and I doubt that will change tbh

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.