Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oShahpo)
    The answer is correct, but the method is wrong.
    Square root of x^2 is not x but + or - x. The way to deal with this is to understand that sqrt of -1 means absolutely nothing if you don't treat as i, because it is not defined in terms of anything but i.
    Therefore, sqrt(x) * sqrt(x) = sqrt(x^2) indeed, but then if you plug x = -1 you get sqrt(1) which is 1 or -1. You see the confusion here?
     \sqrt{x^2}  = |x| .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JLegion)
    I'm not sure I understand where you are coming from.
    You can't use the word "the" because you're implying uniqueness, there is no unique square root of -1. Hence you cannot say "the square root of -1". Let me know if I can make it clearer. :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timebent)
    so the bit where it says a,b is greater than or equal to 0 surely you applied up there in your first paragraph where you said "a" and "b" are both -1, your second step of \sqrt -1x-1 should thus equal 1 in the end.
    Huh? I said "I know you're thinking..." - I'm not saying that the equation I wrote in my first paragraph is correct, indeed it is as false as they come.

However it seems that if you use negative numbers you still use the negative regardless
    Not sure what you mean by this...

so in this case then \sqrt -2 \sqrt 2 should then equal [/latex]\sqrt 4[/latex] right?

so if i'm right

then what is the outcome of \sqrt 2 \sqrt -2??
    That would usually be \pm 4i (remember that there are two square roots).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    You can't use the word "the" because you're implying uniqueness, there is no unique square root of -1. Hence you cannot say "the square root of -1". Let me know if I can make it clearer. :-)
    Makes perfect sense, just a poor choice of words I suppose

ReputationRep:
    No, this is wrong. \sqrt{x\cdot x} \neq \sqrt{x}\sqrt{x} when x < 0. Indeed, the definition of i is i^2 = -1, any approach you try to use to derive this will be flawed because it's a definition.
    I perfectly understand that. The reason I subbed in x = -1 is to show that if this was a defined operation it would lead to results which contradict other results obtained using i. In other words I was just trying to show that the operation of rootx * rootx = rootx^2 only works for x >=0.

ReputationRep:
    Huh? I said "I know you're thinking..." - I'm not saying that the equation I wrote in my first paragraph is correct, indeed it is as false as they come.

Not sure what you mean by this...

That would usually be \pm 4i (remember that there are two square roots).
    Ah right i see, gotta change my brain lol.

Where 2 positive real numbers which are roots, are multiplied they give a positive answer. so positivexpositive=positive
    but where 2 imaginary number which are roots are multiplied they give a negative answer not a positive(which i thought was right) so negativexneative=negative

right so it can be either or thanks

ReputationRep:
    The answer is correct, but the method is wrong.
    Square root of x^2 is not x but + or - x. The way to deal with this is to understand that sqrt of -1 means absolutely nothing if you don't treat as i, because it is not defined in terms of anything but i.
    Therefore, sqrt(x) * sqrt(x) = sqrt(x^2) indeed, but then if you plug x = -1 you get sqrt(1) which is 1 or -1. You see the confusion here?
    The reason for this confusion is that sqrt(x) is not defined for negative numbers, if you are using negative numbers you must break it down in terms of i. So in this case it becomes sqrt(x^2) = sqrt(x*x)= sqrt(x) * sqrt(x) = sqrt(-1) ^2 = i^2 = -1 only.
    sqrt(x^2) is |x| not + or - x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    sqrt(x^2) is |x| not + or - x
    Not it isn't? (x)^2 = x^2, (-x)^2 = x^2.

ReputationRep:
    Not it isn't? (x)^2 = x^2, (-x)^2 = x^2.
    No, he's right. \sqrt{x^2} = |x|.

ReputationRep:
    so does that mean that x=|x|??

ReputationRep:
    so does that mean that x=|x|??
     x=|x| if  x\geq 0 .  x=-|x| if  x<0 .
    Contrary to what you may believe or have been told, you cannot just say that  \sqrt{ (f(x))^2} = f(x) . In actual fact  \sqrt{(f(x))^2}=|f(x)| .

ReputationRep:
    But isn't -5 a root of 25? How can root 5^2 equal modulus(5) when -5 is also a root?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_9710)
     x=|x| if  x\geq 0 .  x=-|x| if  x<0 .
    Contrary to what you may believe or have been told, you cannot just say that  \sqrt{ (f(x))^2} = f(x) . In actual fact  \sqrt{(f(x))^2}=|f(x)| .
    Ah i see the first 2 statements you made were true but the third isn't :/

So if i square x then whatever comes out is always positive? and modulus always returns a positive number so it works?(my version doesn't but yours does?)

ReputationRep:
    Ah i see the first 2 statements you made were true but the third isn't :/

So if i square x then whatever comes out is always positive? and modulus always returns a positive number so it works?(my version doesn't but yours does?)
    All the statements I made are true. You cannot square root a real number and get a negative result.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_9710)
    All the statements I made are true. You cannot square root a real number and get a negative result.
    ok thanks

ReputationRep:
    But isn't -5 a root of 25? How can root 5^2 equal modulus(5) when -5 is also a root?
    -5 is a square root of 25, yes. But the \sqrt{} \, \colon\, \mathbb{R}_{\geq 0} \to \mathbb{R}_{\geq 0} function is the principal square root of 25.

ReputationRep:
    -5 is a square root of 25, yes. But the \sqrt{} \, \colon\, \mathbb{R}_{\geq 0} \to \mathbb{R}_{\geq 0} function is the principal square root of 25.
    Oh I see, thanks.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.