Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you given blood before? watch

• View Poll Results: Have you given blood?
    Yes
    14.00%
    No
    55.40%
    No, but I plan on doing so soon.
    30.59%

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I might do because I want to find out what my blood type I have although I'm guessing it's an O

ReputationRep:
    I want to but there's nowhere locally since I live in a pretty small town. I plan to when I go uni. Maybe even go and donate eggs so infertile women can have a chance to have kids.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Once you hit 21, I think they waiver the limit or has that changed?
    Ooh really? I wasn't aware of that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm excluded from the blood party.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Changing Skies)
    Ooh really? I wasn't aware of that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I managed to get myself over the weight to give blood when I was younger but they said I d have been fine when I was over 21. Double check though
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I have registered but haven't been able to do it yet. Its mainly due to my panic attacks not being under control so I wouldn't be able to sit in the chair without taking a panic. I really do want to give blood in the future though

I also signed up to a be an organ donor too after my papa got put on the transplant list for a new kidney. It was always something I meant to do but never got around to signing up and that gave me the reminder I needed. I was surprised it how quick and easy it was to do. Sadly I wasn't a match for him and he's still waiting but hoping for a good outcome

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did it twice. Genuinely sad because it's been 1 year I want to give my blood again but cannot I look forward to it !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PugDevil)
    As the title reads, have you given blood? My girlfriend went today for the first time and said she nearly fainted (although that was because she hadn't managed to eat enough as she was working just before.) I'm thinking of going in the future!

Will you be going in the future? Can you give blood? Are you put off doing so?
    Not allowed to because I'm gay. There's also my frequent sedatives use, and anaemia so probably wouldn't have been allowed to anyway.

*leaves the room*

ReputationRep:
    I am a blood donor. It is a fairly painless process.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Sadly, I can't :nope:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    :yep: I have.

I'd encourage more people to do the same and give the gift of life.

ReputationRep:
    Give blood for what exactly? Just for general purpose blood banks, or a certain kind of disease?

How much blood do they usually take?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlesanaWill)
    I also have this problem. I have low blood pressure too so I wouldn't be surprised if I fainted. I am hoping to bulk out a bit so I'll be able to give blood in future though.
    I'm on medication which lowers blood pressure so that's probably another reason why I shouldn't right now.

Can't, pre-existing medical condition. Otherwise I would.

ReputationRep:
    My veins are too small and deep apparently. I tried to give blood but they couldn't get any even after stabbing me a lot. I then decided I'd be a bone marrow doner but because they do most stem cell transplants by filtering them out the blood now, and they couldn't even get any for a test from me, they said I couldn't do that either I was really dissapointed. I was pretty underweight at the time though, over the limit but because I'm tall I was still underweight for my height. The nurse actually said she was going to contact them and suggest they ought to do it by BMI because she didn't think I should have been allowed to try basically.

ReputationRep:
    I gave a few times in college, but after the last time I made the mistake of leaning back rather than forward in the recovery area. I woke up looking at the ceiling and about a dozen classmates, one of whom walked me back to my room where I went right to sleep. The blood people suggested that I not do that again.

ReputationRep:
    Nope I don't weigh enough/ I'm too small. A pint of blood is just too much to take from me because of my size so I'm not allowed to donate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Galaxie501)
    Give blood for what exactly? Just for general purpose blood banks, or a certain kind of disease?

How much blood do they usually take?
    I believe it's around a pint of blood.

The Blood Group say in their leaflets that it is sometimes used for research yes, but the primary use is for blood transfusions and as such.

ReputationRep:
    I've given it 4 or 5 times, but not for a couple of years. I should really go do it again!

I would if I could. My iron count Is pretty low (and vitamin D)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.